rllmuk
Goose

Captain Marvel - Brie Larson to take the lead - March 2019

Holy fucking shit. That trailer is amazing. 

Posting this before I realise that the whole of rllmuk is like, yeah whatever.

Guys get a grip. 

Marvel guys please don't fuck this up.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Andy_Why said:

I assume he means the whole 'Rogue gets her powers from Captain Marvel' thing. I can't see why it would be an issue though.

Seemed like it'd be an interesting twist if they position Captain Marvel as an all-powerful linchpin of the fourth wave and incapacitated her later. Assuming the X-Men would ever appear, anyway.

Seems a bit “standard movie trailer”, in that it’s not clear what the hook is. Unless memory loss is the hook? Some sort of divided loyalties thing? These days they tend to get right to what the main idea of the movie is quite well.

Using Blockbuster Video as a simple shorthand for “this is the past” was cute.

• Upvote 1

I think, maybe (being sexist here), that girls might see more in that trailer than middle aged adult males. The whole falling down/standing up at the end as a child and adult. HER -> A HERO. I think they're trying to play up that empowering imagery. Wait until trailer 2 and she's shown to do something we've not seen before.

That bit is good, but it’s something that has happened to every Marvel superhero in their all is lost moment just before they overcome their character weakness and defeat the enemy who represents a weaker version of the self. I don’t think it’s an especially interesting way for them to do “empowering superhero” given their formula. Wonder Woman absolutely crushed that anyway.

I’m sure there is a hook, but it’s not clear yet what that is.

Guys it's a teaser trailer 6 months out from the actual release. It was never meant to give us a concrete idea of the story or what the characters are like. That's for the release trailers.

So far as getting me hyped, it's 100% mana ft ed that with me. I love that they managed to get her helmet looking good.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just to go back to the previous comments for a minute......what they've done with SLJs de-aging looked great in the stills, but that it holds up under close inspection in motion is nothing short of astonishing. I had no idea the tech had got to that point.

Also, that suit is pretty slick.

• Upvote 1

I appreciate the irony of Marvel using a video shop to indicate that this is set in the past, as it looks like exactly the sort of film I skip watching in the cinema and end up catching on Netflix a year later.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

......what they've done with SLJs de-aging looked great in the stills, but that it holds up under close inspection in motion is nothing short of astonishing. I had no idea the tech had got to that point.

There is some tech, but it really is a decade of Lola* artists perfecting their craft.  Seems terribly unfair that most of the comments about it will be "amazing computer graphics".  Or "it doesn't look right" because of one or two shots that miss the mark.

* That really is an awful name given the context of what they do!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Purin said:

Because superheroes don't assault OAPs?

:rolleyes:

implication likely being it’s for “the fans” and anyone who doesn’t already know the story before coming to this movie doesn’t deserve to enjoy it as much 

• Downvote 14

The memory loss could also be a nod to her original Ms Marvel comic run.. Carol had been a colleague of the original Captain Marvel, but when she returned, she couldn't remember much from the accident that gave her the powers and was having blackouts (to the point she didn't even consciously know she was this new superhero that had shown up.)

The incident with Rogue came several years later..

From the trailer it does seem like there's a Green Lantern-ish aspect to this version of her origin.. (Test pilot gets powers, leaves earth and finds a group to fight for offworld..)

Love that they're using the 'mohawk' helmet!

32 minutes ago, linkster said:

:rolleyes:

implication likely being it’s for “the fans” and anyone who doesn’t already know the story before coming to this movie doesn’t deserve to enjoy it as much 

What an odd take on those comments.

The point they are making is that it works for both fans and non-fans of Captain marvel: Everyone who knows the basic story of Captain Marvel understands that bit and thinks it cool, and people unaware probably wonder what the hell is going on but probably also find the idea of a superhero punching an old person funny.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, NickC said:

What an odd take on those comments.

The point they are making is that it works for both fans and non-fans of Captain marvel: Everyone who knows the basic story of Captain Marvel understands that bit and thinks it cool, and people unaware probably wonder what the hell is going on but probably also find the idea of a superhero punching an old person funny.

Or not. 

• Downvote 5

It didn't feel like a Marvel trailer, for some reason, but that doesn't mean I'm not hyped as fuck about it, cause I definitely am.

My boy Phil Coulson got hair now.. my pal Fury got a 2nd eyeball... dat new girl punched an old lady.

I'm fairly content right now.