rllmuk
Goose

Captain Marvel - Brie Larson to take the lead - March 2019

I think that pic - and the work they did on Michael Douglas in Ant-Man - proves that when you have decades worth of actual film from the time period to work from as reference, you can make the de-aging CGI really work. (Ok, Kurt Russell in GotG2 didn't really work but ignore that for now.) 

I would have liked it if they'd went full 90's and had him rocking his look from 'The Long Kiss Goodnight' for his 90's Fury, as if he filmed them back to back.

EDIT: Also, wtf, just checking the dates for that on imdb and Sam Jackson has made another Shaft film? Described as a reboot of his own film from 2000??

10 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The Kurt Russell de-aging was apparently mostly make-up work surprisingly.

I remember reading articles saying that around the time of release and couldn't believe it but since then, it's been said it was mostly CG after all: https://io9.gizmodo.com/it-turns-out-that-visual-effects-actually-did-do-a-lot-1797755708

I like how Nick Fury made no attempt to phone Captain Marvel when thousands of hostile aliens were pouring out of the sky, and yet when he sees a driverless car crash in front of him, calling her is the first thing he thinks of.

• Upvote 9

52 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I like how Nick Fury made no attempt to phone Captain Marvel when thousands of hostile aliens were pouring out of the sky, and yet when he sees a driverless car crash in front of him, calling her is the first thing he thinks of.

I'm sure they're going to touch on why he didn't call her for the all the other stuff that went on....I hope.

41 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I'm sure they're going to touch on why he didn't call here for the all the other stuff that went on....I hope.

Probably because we’re all skinnyfat cucks who lose our shit if an game gets an 8 in EDGE instead of a 9.

• Downvote 1
  • Empathy 1

5 hours ago, 11 Herbs 'n' Spices said:

I remember reading articles saying that around the time of release and couldn't believe it but since then, it's been said it was mostly CG after all: https://io9.gizmodo.com/it-turns-out-that-visual-effects-actually-did-do-a-lot-1797755708

I thought Russell's de-aging was incredible.  The actor play opposite him was also de-aged a little as well.  The company that does it has come a hell of a long way from X-Men 3's efforts. 

It's almost all crafted 2d tweaks.  There's very little 3d rendering involved.  They've just been improving their craft movie after movie.  Jackson looks great in that photo.

5 hours ago, Stigweard said:

I'm sure they're going to touch on why he didn't call her for the all the other stuff that went on....I hope.

Well, seeing as the shots show her with folks from GotG, I’m guessing she”s been out of town for a while?

At least that”s how I can spin it ;)

The only thing I'm not sure about from that trailer is:

Spoiler

the hints of memory loss. Memory recovery, like shaking off mind control, is one of those fantasy plot elements that I find has to be done really well to avoid becoming tedious.

I'm pleased for Jamie McKelvie, who designed the comics costume that's now in the movie. Just think, a little over ten years ago, he was drawing a little indie comic about indie music with Kieron Gillen, formerly of this parish...

• Upvote 3

Great trailer :)

On 05/09/2018 at 19:39, DeciderVT said:

Wondering what Marvel Studios will do with her if they decide to reboot the X-Men in the MCU.

Why?

On 06/09/2018 at 14:42, Chadruharazzeb said:

He doesn’t go to call her until he sees Hill turning to dust.

17 minutes ago, Broker said:

Why?

I assume he means the whole 'Rogue gets her powers from Captain Marvel' thing. I can't see why it would be an issue though.

Thought the trailer was just ok, but it does seem to be taking her in an interesting direction. Still looking forward to it!

56 minutes ago, Nick R said:

The only thing I'm not sure about from that trailer is:

Reveal hidden contents

the hints of memory loss. Memory recovery, like shaking off mind control, is one of those fantasy plot elements that I find has to be done really well to avoid becoming tedious.

I'm pleased for Jamie McKelvie, who designed the comics costume that's now in the movie. Just think, a little over ten years ago, he was drawing a little indie comic about indie music with Kieron Gillen, formerly of this parish...

Oh wow. Never knew. For this reason alone this film gets my endorsement. 

Anything to do with kieron just makes me feel very... Sexual. In a good way. 

Not sure that anyone would be happy with my endorsement though given my propensity to run counter to the rllmuk movie mind...

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

Obviously very early, but looks very by the numbers.

Apart from the punching the old lady bit*  and a brief glimpse on the beach, they've hidden the whole secret invasion by Skrulls part of the story. I imagine later trailers will really run with that.

*I mean, I assume she's a Skrull. Maybe Marvel are taking the films in a bold new direction and she isn't one, she's just an old fuck.

I love that it says "Discover what makes a hero" then has her sparking out an old lady*. Maybe she comes to Earth, starts beating up on everyone, and the arc of the character is learning that it's not very heroic to do things like that.

*Obviously a Skrull, but the lack of context in the trailer makes for lulz.