rllmuk
Goose

Captain Marvel - Brie Larson to take the lead - March 2019

I loved this apart from a pretty dull opening 20 minutes and some poorly shot action. Perfect casting and production design. Great pacing and plot, you know a film is good when I can resist going to the loo.

Annette Benning is getting old!

When Carol let rip my jaw dropped. Really nailed her powers.

Never heard of the directors before. Is this their first movie?

I felt the influence of T2, the X Files and (!!) Phantom Menance. 

3 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Last film we saw together was Lego Movie 2 which was pretty much garbage - not one of us enjoyed it.

:(

I didn't like the soundtrack at all as it just seemed clumsy apart from the diegetic use in the bar with the jukebox. It was a bit, "this is a girl and this a rock band with a girl" apart from the use of I'm Just A Girl by No Doubt, I didn't really like that element of the film - perhaps because that was one of my favourite 90s tracks.

It took a long while to get going and there were a lot of montages which was odd considering most films with a lot of montages are using them to get to the main story whereas this plodded on a bit.

When it did get going, I quite enjoyed it but Captain Marvel is a lot like Superman - pretty much invincible - so it's going to be quite interesting how they use her in Endgame. 

I did sit away from my family but a guy behind me spent 30 minutes eating the largest bag of tortilla chips I've ever seen so the first 30 minutes was partially ruined :(

Bits I really enjoyed - the fight on the train, the end fight

Ronan thinking it best to retreat

, the relationship with the Mother and Daughter and also having Nick Fury in a central role - I didn't even really notice it was CGI. Oh and Goose :lol:

• Downvote 2

Yeah, I've said to all few people "did you notice the de ageing CGI" and the response has been "he looks like he normally does" from everybody

22 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I'm going to see this today with my kids and the Mrs. I bought the tickets earlier and made sure they had three seats together and my seat was on the other side of the cinema so I don't have to sit next to my youngest child who is an utter pain in the arse and fidgets throughout any film. I haven't told them that yet. 

Is this for real?

2 minutes ago, JML said:

Is this for real?

Some people just have to do this kind of thing. Once you realise it’s better than staying quiet, then losing your shit and making things 10 times worse.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Distinctly average film. The first half hour was dull and confusing and  I never really felt any empathy for Captain Marvel as a character, she just felt like a blank slate; which wasn’t helped by the narrative arc.

also this bit was a proper face palm 

Spoiler

“The energy source wasn’t really on the crashed ship, you were trying to shoot, it was coming from the base”. You wot mate?

Only worthy bits are the threads to other films in the MCU.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 1

31 minutes ago, JML said:

But... it's his kid. Why is it automatically his wife's job to look after their apparently unbearable hellspawn while he's booked a secret manchild ticket for the the other end of the cinema? Have I missed something?

It's my choice. I paid. I usually sit with them but chose not to. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 15

1 hour ago, JML said:

But... it's his kid. Why is it automatically his wife's job to look after their apparently unbearable hellspawn while he's booked a secret manchild ticket for the the other end of the cinema? Have I missed something?

How about it’s none of your effing business?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 19

It's an incredibly shitty thing to do to just dump a distruptive child on their mother without even telling her so he can watch a film in peace. If it's that important to him, go alone and go with the family to another film or rematch with them after already seeing it.

I'm sure his wife is well happy to be the bad guy and the one being judged and tutted at by other cinema goers. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, linkster said:

Some people just have to do this kind of thing. Once you realise it’s better than staying quiet, then losing your shit and making things 10 times worse.

Just, no

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

It's an incredibly shitty thing to do to just dump a distruptive child on their mother so he can watch a film in peace. If it's that important to him, go alone and go with the family to another film. 

I'm sure his wife is well happy to be the bad guy and the one being judged and tutted at by other cinema goers

Maybe he does have time to go to the cinema just by himself. Maybe his wife didnt mind looking after the kids on this time, knowing that there will be occasions when she'll want to relax a bit more and he will take up the slack.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Delargey said:

Maybe he does have time to go to the cinema just by himself. Maybe his wife didnt mind looking after the kids on this time, knowing that there will be occasions when she'll want to relax a bit more and he will take up the slack.

He did it without telling them, seems pretty shitty to me. Not to mention purposely booking seats away from kids. Thanks Dad. Wonder if he books a separate table at a restaurant too.

• Upvote 4

Piss off @Stigweard you weirdo. She didn't mind at all and found it quite funny actually as I threatened to do it last time we went. 

Today, I've decided to replace all my kids clothing with potato sacks, I've rubbed mud on their faces and I haven't fed them - I've hidden their shoes too. I'm selling them tomorrow to a factory that makes cotton.

I am indeed a big sexist pig who neglects his own children and acts like a manchild at any available opportunity. I'm worse than Peve on his Alpine rollercoaster.

Anyway, I thought the film was pretty good when it got going.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 12

10 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

:rolleyes: Obviously not, just selfish. 

For sitting somewhere else in a cinema? Get over yourself brave White Knight. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 11

14 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

For sitting somewhere else in a cinema? Get over yourself brave White Knight. 

Eeerm yeah, pretty much. This wasn't a "I had to sit somewhere else cause it was full screening" you purposely pre booked a seat away from your disruptive child and left your wife to deal with any potential issues cause you couldn't be arsed. Pretty much the definition of selfish, glad you figured it out ;)

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, linkster said:

How about it’s none of your effing business?

He made it our business by bringing it into the discussion. You can't expect to post that without comment.

• Upvote 9

22 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He made it our business by bringing it into the discussion. You can't expect to post that without comment.

Granted, though it was probably naive rather than having any idea how some would react, but it's the subsequent stupidity on display that's dispiriting. People who know nothing about the situation beyond what's been chosen to share, yet some go straight to accusing him of being embarrassed of his family or being thoughtless & imposing on his wife. 

I thought Films was a reasonably safe place to avoid this kind of Rllmuk OT sanctimonious ill-informed fuckwittery

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 14

So just to change the topic from the seating discussion, it’s looking like the angry man babies are going to have more to cry about.  After a strong opening, they were pinning their hopes on a second week drop off, often going with some bonkers almost conspiracy theory level ideas that involved them opening in more places worldwide so they could claim a large opening while somehow knowing they’d drop dramatically after the second week so this was their way to spin it as “success” by “putting all their eggs in one basket” to inflate numbers somehow, despite it performing really well in indivual areas.  There were other things as well like that Marvel were buying tickets and shit or paying people to go.  But they were sure that they were going to be vindicated by the week after opening being really poor.

Insert *wah wah waaaaaaah* sound effect here.

So far it’s looking to break $600 million soon.  The drop, percentage wise, is about average for most films in the MCU, actually stronger than a lot of high profile films like that small film they did called Infinity War.  Only barely, but its a much smaller drop off than Spider-Man, and the first Cap film did, and they were hardly classed as failures (plus IW had a bigger opening to fall from).

The film that a lot of them pinning their hopes on to do better, Alita Battle Angel, has taken $200 million less while being on the cinemas for much longer.  Despite this, some are still desperate to try and pitch their “Alita Challenge” campaign, which was to get people to see that instead, as some kind of success.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1