Goose

Captain Marvel - Brie Larson to take the lead - March 2019

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

She's the only marginally-notable female character not owned by someone else.

1 hour ago, Treble said:

She's very powerful and provides an intro to the Skrulls, too.

These.

Her powers are generic as fuck. Take Superman, add in energy blasts and a kinda spider sense, and a dash of Captain America, done. Her origin is pretty similar to Hal Jordan's too. She's not exactly one of Marvel's best imo. Recently they've done more with her but everything I've read that she appears in she's not exactly likable. In Civil War 2 I seem to recall pretty much disliking most of her appearances. I think the best thing I can think of is they gave her a cool haircut.

Oh, and before the 'Captain' mantle, she looked like this

899598-844833_ms_marvel_steps_12___13_by

Part of me still thinks making the Ms. Marvel that came after Danvers wear a much more modest costume was a reaction to how daft and leery that one is. They then decided it was a decent opportunity to go more diverse as well.

But it's an intro for some more cosmic stuff, especially the Skrulls, as said, which shouldn't be a bad thing. The Skrulls potentially let them do quite a bit if they have the balls to do some of it. They easily can become an ongoing threat rather than a one and done.

It won't be a bomb by any means. I'd guess if it turns out to be one of Marvel's better received entries, it'll be more about the setting and offering something new than the character itself selling it. Black Panther has similar problems as a character (his powers are effectively the same as Cap's for example) but, coupled to an intriguing intro to the character in Civil War, the things that surround the character are selling that movie - new setting, different style (the focus on cyber punk Africa, very different soundtrack, different attitude seemingly) etc imo. Captain Marvel is likely to do similar imo - space, but less whacky than GOTG/Thor, some retro style with the 90s stuff etc, new villains.

• Upvote 1

They should have made a film based on the new Ms Marvel instead, now she's not only an awesome character but it's also one of the best comics Marvel have published in the last 5 years.

Captain Marvel is just a very dull and generic character, and as people have already pointed out, she really isn't very likeable either.

• Upvote 4

The initial run of Captain Marvel was good, building a nice little set up of side characters and a focus on trying to be all she could be ...then fucked it by flying her off into space for ages for otherwise dull character out of water stuff.

37 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

They should have made a film based on the new Ms Marvel instead, now she's not only an awesome character but it's also one of the best comics Marvel have published in the last 5 years.

Kamala's great, but an important aspect of her in the comics is that she's a legacy character. Admittedly it's not as vital to her as it is for the Jay Garrick-Barry Allen-Wally West-Bart Allen Flash family. But her admiration for Carol is pretty heavily focused on in the early issues (and then again later when her comic was disrupted by the Secret Wars/Civil War 2 tie-ins, grrr!).

I suppose it doesn't matter specifically which hero Kamala admires in order for her character to be otherwise the same, but it has to be someone public. So they couldn't do what they did to excuse skipping past the original Ant-Man (making Pym a man whose original adventures were secret black ops).

• Upvote 2

I don't think there is any question we won't see a Ms Marvel movie at some point. I think Marvel has a VERY long road map planned out for all of this, and I'd be stunned if she wasn't part of the plan.

Also, I don't get why people are worried about her due to the nature of her character in the comics. The movies have proved themselves to be very different beasts to the comics. Guardians is the perfect example. All of them were fairly boring and shit in the comics. And now it's one of Marvels' biggest hits. As long as they use the comics as a framework to build something , this could be great.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Andy_Why said:

I don't think there is any question we won't see a Ms Marvel movie at some point. I think Marvel has a VERY long road map planned out for all of this, and I'd be stunned if she wasn't part of the plan.

Also, I don't get why people are worried about her due to the nature of her character in the comics. The movies have proved themselves to be very different beasts to the comics. Guardians is the perfect example. All of them were fairly boring and shit in the comics. And now it's one of Marvels' biggest hits. As long as they use the comics as a framework to build something , this could be great.

What?

The Guardians of the Galaxy comic by Abnett and Lanning was fucking awesome and in many ways better than the films.

The comics if anything are suffering now due to how similar they are now to their movie counterparts.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

stupid question, but whats special/different about Captain Marvel? 

The character originally is a rip off of Superman which resulted in a likeness lawsuit that DC won. Marvel kept the rights to use the name (as did DC) but had to change him up a bit. After a while Marvel changed him to a her and now captain marvel / ms marvel is a weird fit in the marvelverse because she has a very superman-esque character in a universe that's mutant and alien centric.

It's cool in away to see how different they've both become (shazam is all magic but Captain Marvel went the sc-fi route). I think the DC version of Captain Marvel worked better mind, as it gave a good counter balance to Superman; someone that could match him strength wise etc...

• Upvote 1

They've confirmed Coulson is back on the movie side for this. Also Ronan the Accuser (Lee Pace) and Korath the Pursuer (Djimon Hounsou).

First time I ever heard of the character was in the 90's X-Men cartoon, when Rogue and the Brotherhood steal some experimental airplane, and Rogue steals her powers (and memories).

Be funny if Brie Larson ever wears that though :lol:

• Upvote 1

They're the same person, Carol Danvers. Her backstory is quite convoluted in the comics, and does actually include Rogue, a bit like in the cartoon, but far more complicated.

Basically, Captain Marvel (Kree) saves her life from some alien device exploding, she gains powers due to the explosion altering her genetic makeup to be half Human, half Kree (thanks to Captain Marvel being close during the explosion) and she becomes Ms. Marvel. Its much later that she becomes Captain Marvel.

There's loads of other stuff that happens inbetween, including becoming the character "Binary", where she gains the ability to tap into the power of a white star, which increases her powers to almost Superman levels (able to fly in space, almost invulnerable, etc), as well as absorb and control various energy. This form can only be maintained for a limited amount of time, however.

In the original Infinity Gauntlet series, Silver Surfer flies at near light speed from a great distance away to surprise Thanos and attempt to steal the gauntlet. It fails, but I wonder if Captain Marvel may fulfill this role, as when she goes binary, she can also fly at near light speeds.

Thats if they include her ability to go binary at all, of course.

• Upvote 1

Ah, I see!

I think I was getting confused because there is another Ms Marvel now, and I remember her taking over from another Ms Marvel. I didn't realise that the old Ms Marvel got promoted.

What I never got is how come - if Rogue had Ms. Marvel's powers for all that time - she didn't have the energy blast thing? Apart from the fact that they just wanted a flying, punchy X-Man who could do stuff like this, of course:

xmen201-reagan-rogue-small.jpg

20 hours ago, JohnC said:

They've confirmed Coulson is back on the movie side for this. Also Ronan the Accuser (Lee Pace) and Korath the Pursuer (Djimon Hounsou).

Good, I really, really liked Pace as Ronan. Everyone keeps saying how shitty a villain he was, but I never understood that. He's one of the more memorable MCU villains, IMHO, with a cool appearance, intimidating strength and personality, and a hate for the Kree so fierce that it's almost palpable. His political/cultural backstory was definitely rushed in GotG, but I liked everything else about him, including the quite Gigeresque exterior and interior design of his ship. I was quite bummed that he got killed off, so this is great news.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Mr Cochese said:

What I never got is how come - if Rogue had Ms. Marvel's powers for all that time - she didn't have the energy blast thing? Apart from the fact that they just wanted a flying, punchy X-Man who could do stuff like this, of course:

Rogue absorbed her powers when she was Ms. Marvel, not Binary, so no energy powers, just flight, strength and durability like in the cartoon.

Only when she became Binary did she get the energy powers, which was a fair bit after she'd recovered from her ordeal with Rogue.

Thinking about it, I dont think its been said what powers she'll have in the cinematic universe, so I suspect we wont see any "Binary" stuff, seeing as how they'd have to use a lot of CGI for that, and there's a bit of backlash over the use of it in the films at the moment.

13 hours ago, Spainkiller said:

Good, I really, really liked Pace as Ronan. Everyone keeps saying how shitty a villain he was, but I never understood that. He's one of the more memorable MCU villains, IMHO, with a cool appearance, intimidating strength and personality, and a hate for the Kree so fierce that it's almost palpable. His political/cultural backstory was definitely rushed in GotG, but I liked everything else about him, including the quite Gigeresque exterior and interior design of his ship. I was quite bummed that he got killed off, so this is great news.

I think he could be fun.  In Guardians he doesn't have much of a connection to the heroes, other a bit of a Drax moment.  His main contribution in the film is to be so poe faced it makes the end gag work.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

Rogue absorbed her powers when she was Ms. Marvel, not Binary, so no energy powers, just flight, strength and durability like in the cartoon.

Only when she became Binary did she get the energy powers, which was a fair bit after she'd recovered from her ordeal with Rogue.

Thinking about it, I dont think its been said what powers she'll have in the cinematic universe, so I suspect we wont see any "Binary" stuff, seeing as how they'd have to use a lot of CGI for that, and there's a bit of backlash over the use of it in the films at the moment.

I thought she always had the blast powers, because Mar-Vell did. Wikipedia says he had a laser gun though, so maybe not.

1 hour ago, Revival said:

That suit is bloody awful. Looks like something they found in the bins of Agents of Shield.

They'll probably have Lola VFX jazz it up a bit.  They do the stuff like that for Vision/Nebula.