Goose

Captain Marvel - Brie Larson to take the lead - March 2019

1 hour ago, Treble said:

I personally thought Wonder Woman did a great job of making the woman the hero, but its sexual politics were merely 'good'. Marvel, on the other hand, smashes the shit out of it. Danvers gets fully self-actualised with no restraints on her behaviour, and actively enjoys it. There's a real ethical and moral ambiguity in the character that simply isn't there in WW.

My wife single handedly busted the myth of the female nerdgasm, watching Danvers wreck shit :D

Wonder Woman was awesome up until the fight with the awful cgi baddie.

Also Wonder Woman had plenty of male help to defeat the bad guys, while Captain Marvel almost did it all single-handily. 

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it.  Probably need another watch to see where it ranks in the grand scheme but definitely in the top half of Marvel movies after first viewing. 

Slight question about the Kree:

Did I miss something about why Jude Law looks human but is Kree as far as I can ascertain.  Ronan is your typical Blue Kree which is how I've seen them before in Guardians and Agents of Shield but Jude Law just looks completely human.  Is he Kree and, if so, why does he look different to say Ronan? 

They should have done a Star Trek thing like weird ears or bumpy forehead for Jude Law.  I agree with not putting decent actors under cakes of make up, but I'm not sure it helped the narrative that Danvers was meant to slightly different from the rest of her team but looks identical to her co-star.  There's a happy medium between Thor 2 and Star Trek Beyond make up and something subtle to indicate differences.  Perhaps there was something subtle and I missed it though!

Spoiler

I assumed the Kree soldiers were taken from various planets and that Jude Law had been picked for his particular set of skills, kinda like Danvers. 

• Upvote 1

...*sigh*...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kree

"True Kree resemble humans almost exactly, with the exception of blue skin. Kree have a higher strength level than that of a human, and require more nitrogen to breathe comfortably.[volume & issue needed] Kree bodies are adapted to environmental characteristics on Hala that are unlike Earth. Hala has higher gravity and a higher concentration of nitrogen in the atmosphere than Earth. Under Earth's lesser gravity, their strength and speed increase. However, they cannot breathe in Earth's atmosphere without using a chemical, "breathing formula", or artificial life-support devices.

The original Kree had blue-colored skin, but a second racial group with pink skin resembling that of human Caucasians emerged over the millennia. The blue-skinned "purebred" Kree have become a small, but powerful, minority. Pink Kree are much more durable than their blue racial brethren."

52 minutes ago, McCoy said:

They should have done a Star Trek thing like weird ears or bumpy forehead for Jude Law.  I agree with not putting decent actors under cakes of make up, but I'm not sure it helped the narrative that Danvers was meant to slightly different from the rest of her team but looks identical to her co-star.  There's a happy medium between Thor 2 and Star Trek Beyond make up and something subtle to indicate differences.  Perhaps there was something subtle and I missed it though!

He had contacts to make him look more alien, but he should have been blue if he was a Kree.

Fucking loved this, right up there with the best stuff Marvel has put out. Only the slightly dull first half hour marred that, but from the point she arrived at Blockbuster I was smiling constantly. I don't really like comics Carol, but she was excellent in this, really likeable and funny. Fury was awesome, Goose was excellent. Amazing, probably 6/7th best MCU movie for me.

• Upvote 5

26 minutes ago, yakumo said:

He had contacts to make him look more alien, but he should have been blue if he was a Kree.

No, see above. 

Did no one else notice the other non-blue skinned Kree?

7 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

No, see above. 

Did no one else notice the other non-blue skinned Kree?

5 hours ago, Gord said:

Since Danvers thought she was a Kree i think it's safe to assume they come in a non-blue variety.

There were non blue kree on the train as they were going to the high intelligence.

On 11/03/2019 at 14:02, Delargey said:

Yeah, but they probably wouldn't get you into shield when they saw your old man waddle.

Showing them my old man waddle sounds like some sort of sick euphemism.

• Upvote 2

The trailers for this really missed a trick by emphasising how much of a bad-ass she is but not how much of a smart-ass. It was far lighter and more fun than I expected (need I have worried?) and reminded me of the first act of Wonder Woman in how it emphasised someone who reveled in their abilities.

Spoiler

It was really nice to have the heroics be realised through directly defending the weak rather than battling some other super-being on principles, or thwarting some abstractly people-threatening scheme, too. I know that on paper that’s Captain America’s ethos but seeing it explicitly was nice.

The turn-around in the plot was handled well and the tiny box of memories scene was oddly effective. Really liked how they gave a sense of her getting to grips with her unleashed powers while - again - having a great time.

They raised the bar for origin stories, which maybe they don’t need to do any more. Please?

• Upvote 2

On 14/03/2019 at 15:18, yakumo said:

They've always been blue in this canon at least, but on the space bus at the start there were some black and white kree too. I remember being surprised and wondering during that scene if the blue ones were going to split off in some kind of "blue supremacy" storyline to explain why there all evil and all blue in AOS/GOG. That would have been cool.

I'm going to see this today with my kids and the Mrs. I bought the tickets earlier and made sure they had three seats together and my seat was on the other side of the cinema so I don't have to sit next to my youngest child who is an utter pain in the arse and fidgets throughout any film. I haven't told them that yet.  Last film we saw together was Lego Movie 2 which was pretty much garbage - not one of us enjoyed it.

This is supposed to be pretty good and I didn't watch Black Panther before the Avengers movie so I don't want to make that mistake again for the next Avengers movie.

• Downvote 2
  • Empathy 1