IGNORED

Star Trek Discovery

Commander Jameson

13 minutes ago, Meh said:

The banning holograms thing would have been great... if not for the fact that every other ship would have similar tech, and their Captains unlikely to have the same opinion as Pike. It was yet another "oh fuck we fucked up" thing they tried to do away with.

Yeah, it's stuff like this that makes it come across as though somebody had been tasked with writing a generic sci fi space show with all futuristic technology like a spore drive and holograms and stuff. Then at the last minute someone decided to stick a Star Trek badge on it so they had to bodge in some corrections to make it fit with canon.

I totally believe they set out to make a Star Trek show - but they were forced to make it appeal to both the old fans and fans of the now dead-as-fuck Kelvin timeline. Hence all the WOO LOOK HOLOGRAMS shite.

I totally get doing away with buttons and switches on the computer consoles and things - but even by DS9, things such as holograms for communication were a rarity. The Defiant had one, but that was swiftly forgotten about.

2 minutes ago, deKay said:

Or even better, just set the whole thing in a different time. 

This! 

If it was a part of the timeline that needed filling in they'd be embracing canon rather than treating it as a pain in the arse. The only reason I can see for putting it where it is was so they could jam in some Enterprise and Spock stories because that's what people recognise as Trek. 

3 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

This! 

If it was a part of the timeline that needed filling in they'd be embracing canon rather than treating it as a pain in the arse. The only reason I can see for putting it where it is was so they could jam in some Enterprise and Spock stories because that's what people recognise as Trek. 

Looks like they're just saying "to hell with this shit" with season 3 anyway. Which annoys me. I don't even want them stinking up the future with their ADHD brand of Star Trek, never mind the past. They've done enough of it already with fucking Control.

Fuck this show.

I'll watch every episode.

Tilly in The Upside Down was sort of great, but bringing Hugh back that way seemed... more than a bit far-fetched. Also, everyone needed to stop fucking about chatting when things were a bit more urgent. Having Ash back just as they got Hugh back seemed overly convenient but they didn't do anything with it.

Saru's home planet episode could have been direct from TNG.

I've just semi-accidentally binged the whole lot in quite a short space of time, and skimmed through the last few pages in here.

It's really weird to agree with literally every post, the negatives and the insane positive ones.

Everything everyone complains about is bang-on. Space Messiah Burnham gets way overdone

Spoiler

(Although a time travelling space Messiah lady is pretty much the only story Kurtzman knows how to tell, as far as I can make out. Alias, Fringe and now this.)

Plot holes and/or inconsistent character motivations large enough to drive a starship through.

But then I did like some of the people. Tilly, Stamets, Hugh, Reno, Lorca, Pike, Georgiou, Tyler all worked for me.

It's a flaming shitshow for sure. But I've enjoyed the shitshow.

Its main crime, I think, is all the good stories in there that it doesn't bother telling, in favour of chasing the latest macguffin at ludicrous speed.

Spoiler

Hugh's Lazarus tale could have been really affecting, told better.

As could Tyler's difficulties, or Stamet's time problems, or the idea of Ariam having to be selective about what memories she kept. L'Rell and her taking over the Klingons. Sexy Michelle Yeoh being a badass all over the place.

And then all its core problems are hugely self-made:

Spoiler

The spore drive and mentions of the mycellial network annoyed me the whole way through. Stupid space mushrooms, really? Gah.

There was no need to make Burnham the fucking adopted sister of a main character like that. I don't even care about continuity, but it so clearly forces you to do things that will be stupid.

I do not understand why, in the last episode,

Spoiler

Michelle Yeoh defeats Control, and all the drone ships shut down. Why even bother jumping forwards at that point? Just tidy shit up.

6 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I do not understand why, in the last episode,

Hide contents

Michelle Yeoh defeats Control, and all the drone ships shut down. Why even bother jumping forwards at that point? Just tidy shit up.

Spoiler

So they can use Picard as the next captain in S3.

I jest but the the insistence on using Discovery's designs in the new Picard series makes me wonder if a dim bulb at CBS had a eureka moment and a Burnham cameo is on the cards.

Because they can use flashy distractions to make people forget how shit the thing they're watching is. It's like going to watch the best fireworks show you've ever seen while stood in a field of human shit up to your neck.

It's damning that The Orville pulls off star Trek gold better than discovery, and that has Seth MacFarlane prancing around as the captain. Give me The Orville production crew and writers with discovery visual effects team and IP and we'd have the ultimate new Star Trek.

3 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Also also, 

Hide contents

It's been established that Stamets can use the spore drive to time travel. Just do that, why do they need the angel suit?

This is something that's been a problem throughout Star Trek since TOS.

Hmm. Burnham being centre of the universe is getting a bit annoying now.

Talos IV intro was silly and fun. Spock... doesn’t feel right. Hugh has become a massive cunt. Tyler really needs to wash his hair. Poor Stamets - really feel for him. His spark has gone.

Enjoying optical implant woman who exists solely to look at people or things.

Also enjoying how Saru flosses when he walks.

3 minutes ago, deKay said:

Oh! And the probe that went into the time vortex then came back and hacked Discovery? It used an SQL injection attack to gain access. Incredible scenes.

Oh you're in for such a ride.

1 minute ago, Hexx said:

Oh you're in for such a ride.

Everyone keeps saying this but so far it's mostly just getting better and better. Series 2 is way more enjoyable than Series 1. It's more fun. More Star Trek.

Sure, it's no TNG or even Voyager, but it's nowhere near as bad as I was made to believe it would be. Yes, there are issues, and some of them are huge. My main one is that the bridge crew are - 20 episodes in - still almost complete nobodies. Pike tried to rectify this by asking them all to sound off, but still - who are the girls at the helm? And why has it taken this long to involve the robot woman on the bridge? And beard guy and asian comms guy rarely get a mention?

I know this is the Burnham and Co Show, not a "normal" bridge crew show, but I currently don't give a shit about any of them.

But I do like Saru's character, and Tilly and Stamets are genuinely the best two on the show. I'd happily have a whole series just set in engineering with Tilly, Stamets and Reno. It's almost a sitcom. What's happening with Hugh is interesting. I like Sarek too.

Tyler/Vok is stupid, and with the war over it smacks of the writers needing to keep the actor on for contractual reasons but having no idea what to do with him. Mirror Georgiou isn't great either - loved her non-mirror character, but not the mirror one even though she's less ruthless now. The whole spore drive thing is stupid (and I'm glad it has been mostly disabled in series 2). Admiral Wossname is all over the place storywise. Suddenly she runs Section 31? They're doing Section 31 wrong too, not least in that they have ships that can cloak and yet the rest of Starfleet don't?

Overall though I can see past a lot of the nonsense and just enjoy what is Trek, to me, about the show. I can see they're trying to fix it after the mistakes of series 1. It's just a shame they didn't think a bit harder about when it was going to be set in the first place.

16 minutes ago, MpM said:

Holy shit!

I hope I never get stuck in a lift with you.

I said Tilly, Stamets and Reno. Just Tilly on her own would be unbearable. She works because of how she interacts with others, especially Stamets and Burnham.

I think Pike is pretty much universally accepted as one of the best things this season.

His biggests "Con" is that he doesn't brig/airlock this deranged womanchild that keeps bursting into the bridge/meetings screaming nonsensically. 

Picard would have shut that shit down.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Tilly >>>>> Wesley.

Yeah. Wesley was a know-all brat. Tilly is very clever, socially awkward and autistic.

I still kind of liked Wesley though, even though it made no sense for him to have access to a lot of stuff he did. The episode set at the academy where him and his friends try to cover up the crash.

Tilly differs because she shines when interacting with other characters. In herself, she's a bit silly (the bit where she's cutting off a bit of asteroid, for example), but getting hyper about SCIENCE with others is brilliant.

25 minutes ago, deKay said:

Tilly is very clever

What has she done in the show to demonstrate this?

And getting "HYPED" about Science/Maths (THIS IS THE POWER OF MATHS PEOPLE!) to a crew of incredibly intelligent scientists/engineers is just cringe.

4 minutes ago, Hexx said:

What has she done in the show to demonstrate this?

And getting "HYPED" about Science/Maths (THIS IS THE POWER OF MATHS PEOPLE!) to a crew of incredibly intelligent scientists/engineers is just cringe.

Nah, it's nice. I said hyper, not hyped too.