IGNORED

Star Trek Discovery

Commander Jameson

52 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Wait what?

Reveal hidden contents

The SPHEREDATA took over Discovery not Control?

Which does raise the question why the 52% of the Sphere Data doesn't take over the control ship it's on

You're right. I'm getting confused between the different types of data that can take control of things. 

25 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

One bit I don't get...(amongst everything else that makes no fucking sense)

Hide contents

Pike's wink there, are we supposed to think he's also from the mirror universe now?

Or that he's known about her all along...

It's not like she even tries to keep it a secret. I assumed everyone on Discovery knew. 

Imagine how confusing it must be if you're not in the clique.

”Hey didn't Captain Georgiou die?”

”Erm, she actually just scraped her knee a bit when her ship blew up.”

”Why is she dressed in studded leather like an extra playing a gang member in an 80s movie now?”

”Go oil the massive impractical spinning lift floor in the shuttle bay that we saw once and never again.”

i dont understand how these hacks were given the keys to one of the biggest franchises there is. Everything is so predictable and or amateurish. i could have bet everything i know and love on - and im not going to even spoiler it becuase its straight from pre-school script writing obvious class, when burnham walked away from ash, and she walks less than 10 steps away and turns around, runs and hugs him. i mean...COME ON.... there was more believable writing in fucking Rainbow.

I have a good thing to say!

I thought the Enterprise bridge looked fantastic. A really great modernisation of the classic design that looked a heck of a lot better than Discovery’s bridge.

Otherwise that was just a bit dull. It was basically a filler episode, stretching out what should have been the first ten minutes of next week’s episode. And once again it did it by assuming the audience was much more attached to these characters than they could ever possibly be. And there was the usual bag full of complete nonsense that made no sense of course.

What was the explanation for the Enterprise having different uniforms to the rest of Starfleet again? I’m sure there was a comment earlier in the season.

1 minute ago, Mogster said:

I have a good thing to say!

Hide contents

I thought the Enterprise bridge looked fantastic. A really great modernisation of the classic design that looked a heck of a lot better than Discovery’s bridge.

Otherwise that was just a bit dull. It was basically a filler episode, stretching out what should have been the first ten minutes of next week’s episode. And once again it did it my assuming the audience was much more attached to these characters than they could ever possibly be. And there was the usual bag full of complete nonsense that made no sense of course.

What was the explanation for the Enterprise having different uniforms to the rest of Starfleet again? I’m sure there was a comment earlier in the season.

Agreed. What a please t surprise it would be for Discovery to disappear somewhere next week and we're left with the adventures of Pike and Co on the enterprise. She's had about ten minutes of screen time but it already feels like No 1 is more interesting then most of the Discovery characters. 

Spoiler

Oh and one big fucking plothole is the fact that the spore drive can take the ship anywhere in the galaxy, so why not jump to somewhere in the delta quadrant or gamma quadrant and abandon it there? I mean it would take the ship centuries to travel back to the alpha quadrant on its own (after the crew abandons it) as Discovery can only go at about warp 5. Even then it wouldn't actually do it because it would need dilithium crystals.

Or, even better, remote detonate a photon torpedo that's on the ship. Or go to the computer section and just chuck a load of acid on them. Hey presto, no data and the ship would survive. Or maybe a million and one other ways that are perfectly thinkable. 

It's such a shockingly bad plot.

1 hour ago, pulsemyne said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Oh and one big fucking plothole is the fact that the spore drive can take the ship anywhere in the galaxy, so why not jump to somewhere in the delta quadrant or gamma quadrant and abandon it there? I mean it would take the ship centuries to travel back to the alpha quadrant on its own (after the crew abandons it) as Discovery can only go at about warp 5. Even then it wouldn't actually do it because it would need dilithium crystals.

Or, even better, remote detonate a photon torpedo that's on the ship. Or go to the computer section and just chuck a load of acid on them. Hey presto, no data and the ship would survive. Or maybe a million and one other ways that are perfectly thinkable. 

It's such a shockingly bad plot.

There's a very good reason none of those options were explored though 

Spoiler

Burnham didn't suggest them

I guess it's clear now where all this nonsense is going. By the end of the season they'll have rolled back most of the excesses of the show and be more or less back in line with TOS canon:

Klingons looking and acting more like actual Klingons, Section 31 wiped out/driven underground, Captain Pike offed to make way for Kirk, and Discovery and its spore drive catapulted out of the timeline (hence explaining why it's never mentioned in any other show).

Which is fair enough I suppose, it's just a shame we've had to sit through a whole season of such drivel as part of the process. I guess it's a case of the writers having a defined end point they needed to get to and then making whatever tortuous leaps in terms of plot they needed to in order to get there.

It does however beg two questions:

- Given that Discovery obviously always wanted to be (and will presumably now be) Future Trek, why didn't they just do that in the first place? I wonder if the original plan was to do this and then they were leant on by studio execs to do a prequel or something.

and

- Oh God, they absolutely are going to do that Picard/Burnham crossover, aren't they? :facepalm:

If they end up going to the future they should have just done it at the end of season 1 when they did their mini time jump. 

When they said they'd cocked up the timings I honestly thought we'd be in 24th century time line which would have been a pretty good twist at the time. 

4 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I guess it's clear now where all this nonsense is going. By the end of the season they'll have rolled back most of the excesses of the show and be more or less back in line with TOS canon:

Hide contents

Klingons looking and acting more like actual Klingons, Section 31 wiped out/driven underground, Captain Pike offed to make way for Kirk, and Discovery and its spore drive catapulted out of the timeline (hence explaining why it's never mentioned in any other show).

Which is fair enough I suppose, it's just a shame we've had to sit through a whole season of such drivel as part of the process. I guess it's a case of the writers having a defined end point they needed to get to and then making whatever tortuous leaps in terms of plot they needed to in order to get there.

It does however beg two questions:

- Given that Discovery obviously always wanted to be (and will presumably now be) Future Trek, why didn't they just do that in the first place? I wonder if the original plan was to do this and then they were leant on by studio execs to do a prequel or something.

and

- Oh God, they absolutely are going to do that Picard/Burnham crossover, aren't they? :facepalm:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Picard show was just season 3 of discovery. 

That was indeed as bad as you’ve all said. Plot holes you could fling a starship through and more dewey-eyed pap than the many ends of Return of the King.

But my main annoyance was who the fuck was ice cream girl? I have no recollection of her ‘previously on’ scenes with Tilly at all?

Anyway, it’s nearly done. Then we can change the soiled sheets and hope for something better. Shouldn’t be too hard.

The ice cream queen was introduced in one of the Short Treks available in Discovery's "Trailers & More" section on Netflix. Of course, the deep personal affection she now holds for Tilly is out of all proportion to their brief encounter, as is de rigeur in this show.

New bridge person who replaced robolady was apparently so bowled over by *~*=MICHAEL BURNHAM=*~* in the few days she’s been at her new job that she's willing to give up her entire life and relationships to follow her,

1 hour ago, GwiDan said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Picard show was just season 3 of discovery. 

It opens with Picard getting out of the sonic shower and commenting on what a strange dream he had. Discovery is then never mentioned again.

1st thing. A TV show should never require you to watch a short special you probably weren't aware of in order to follow the plot (I read the Resetera discovery thread or I wouldn't have known about it).

I hope (And it looks like she is) that that particular character follows us into season 3. The ship does need a visible chief engineer after all :)

Now the show has me curious. The next episode has to

1. resolve the Control issue

2. Somehow get the ship and the crew into position so Calypso can happen *and* put Spock where he's supposed to be.

Be interesting to see how they manage it.

Just caught up. Fucking what is this.

Spoiler

"I can't look myself in the mirror anymore"

Well no shit, scuttling an entire ship to destroy some data. You're not supposed to take the nuke from orbit joke seriously.

Spoiler

"we'll have no more holographic communications. Ever."

Hahahaha.

Also,

Spoiler

"Build me a new time suit, to my measurements"

"No Sir, only St Burnham has the right DNA"

"Okay :("

Watched five episodes now.

Giant space bear controlling the spore drive is stupid.

The spore drive is stupid. Why was this never ever used again, mentioned again, or revisited?

Why doesn't Saru wear a hat so his ganglions don't keep popping out.

Stamets :wub:

Tilly :wub: :wub:

Admiral: "Lorcas, why don't you get your eyes fixed?" Lorcas: "LOL dunno" ... later ... BRIGHT LIGHTS IN THE EYES