Star Trek Discovery

Commander Jameson

3 hours ago, Benny said:

Star Trek Doctor Who crossover this week then.

Hide contents

Davros Pike.

"Why would the ship with a killer AI on board space all the crew??"

Hmm, think for a second about what you're saying Burnham.

Also, "you're a scientist Spock it's not like the universe is convenient and makes me the saviour of every... Oh wait."

Plus falling for the lone survivor obvious trap, ha.

Spoiler

Not to mention...

"Burnham, what do you think we should do?"

"Blow up the ship, captain!"

"You're the boss!"

23 hours ago, Hexx said:

Do you think they always planned that to be the end of Lorca? Chuffin appalling if so as it was such a swerve (into mustache twirling super-villiany) and then "poof" gone.

I dunno. It seemed that them saying it was planned all along wasn't bullshit - as evidenced by him being really shit at Starfleet regulations, his ready room from hell, and the whole Gremlins-esque aversion to bright light (which is a bit... ah fuck it, I don't care anymore).

I imagine he wasn't a cheap actor to keep around, so they probably planned to have him vanish in some form at the end of the season - but the massive twist into space nazi maniac was a bit mad. I honestly didn't mind it too much, but I can understand how jarring it was.

And - let's be honest - he's totally coming back. They'll pull some "OH NO, NO, IT WASN'T HUGH WHO WAS FUCKING UP THE NETWORK IN THE FIRST PLACE. THERE'S A MAD SPACE NAZI IN HERE WITH US TOO" thing. And the whole fortune cookie thing in the first ep of season 2.

3 hours ago, Harsin said:
  Hide contents

Captain Pike is an idiot, if I was shown a vision that I'd end up on a life glug because of a an accident in an engine room I'd just bloody make sure I didn’t go in engine rooms anymore. Captain there's a radiation leak in the engine room. Right-oh, well bugger off down there yourself Sulu, while I have a can of Romulan Fanta.

:lol:

In fairness, Pike is clearly more Ace Rimmer than standard-issue Rimmer.

That's actually one of my problems with this series - Pike is clearly such a great guy, yet all along we've known it  turns out shit for him. Boo.

8 hours ago, Death's Head said:

That's actually one of my problems with this series - Pike is clearly such a great guy, yet all along we've known it  turns out shit for him. Boo.

It should be a good think about the series, from a dramatic perspective. It won't be though. Burnham will save him.

2 hours ago, monkeydog said:

It should be a good think about the series, from a dramatic perspective. It won't be though. Burnham will save him.

One of the showrunners said something along the lines of the show aligning with the TOS continuity after this season, so I don't think anyone's going to save him.

Spoiler

If that's true then Burnham is totally going to have to use a time crystal to go back and save her parents, resetting literally everything. Then we can all get drunk and pretend this show didn't happen either.

8 hours ago, Benny said:
  Reveal hidden contents

If that's true then Burnham is totally going to have to use a time crystal to go back and save her parents, resetting literally everything. Then we can all get drunk and pretend this show didn't happen either.

I’m watching the current episode and all of the plot threads they have going on and that honestly seems like something a new show runner might ask for.

Spoiler

WHY WAS SARU’S FACE ON THAT CLIFF?!

Can’t get enough of this.

Started watching this at the weekend, only seen the first two episodes so no spoilers, please.

Does it stay this dark (literally dark as well as thematically) all the way through? I know The Orville is "the new TNG", and I know latter DS9 was darker than TNG, but where does this fall? Because so far, and yes, I know I'm only two episodes in, this really isn't Star Trek. Even the new films are more Star Trek than this.

I'm not saying I'm not enjoying it, because I am, just wondering where it's going. I'm already guessing they go more "male officer" focussed as I could just feel the toxic anti-fems raging at the screen while I watched :(

giant space newt janeway was better than discovery. it's a complete utter mess and pretty much an insult to what star trek has been all about. from out of place tech, storylines that make NO sense, terrible cinematography and shit handling of the characters.

it looks pretty, but its more mass effect crossed with doctor who than what star trek is.

24 minutes ago, deKay said:

I'm already guessing they go more "male officer" focussed as I could just feel the toxic anti-fems raging at the screen while I watched :(

One thing I would say in its favour is that it remains a very inclusive show, as Star Trek should be. It remains very dark throughout though, in both senses of the word. TNG and indeed The Orville portrayed a future I'd love to be a part of. Discovery is just horrendous.

It's also terrible. It has its high points, but at its lowest it's just so completely dumb. It's fallen a long way from what I'd want from a Star Trek show, and it's all the worse from bringing down established characters with it.

Thing with TNG/DS9/VOY was that although there were serious stories, it was always Fun Space Adventures - for better or worse.

I'm guessing Discovery is following the gritty TV trend of massive story arcs and character deaths and grimdark misery, and isn't Fun Space Adventures.

32 minutes ago, deKay said:

Thing with TNG/DS9/VOY was that although there were serious stories, it was always Fun Space Adventures - for better or worse.

I'm guessing Discovery is following the gritty TV trend of massive story arcs and character deaths and grimdark misery, and isn't Fun Space Adventures.

Nah, that's the working title for Tilly's spin off show.

14 minutes ago, Meh said:

Yet you're going to watch every. single. episode.

It's the new Walking Dead of "IT'S FUCKING SHIT... BUT I KEEP WATCHING IT!"

Yeah, in the hope that I might get a good Star Trek TV show again.  It can't stay rubbish for ever, can it?