Star Trek Discovery

Commander Jameson

3 hours ago, Hexx said:

Did I blink I miss something? How did the Angel suit become so powerful?

Hide contents

Ok. They're playing with time travel...but then Gabrielle gets stuck 950 years in future (in space) where everything's dead gone. [How did she travel to those planets to check?]

But then the she has complete amazing historical information about Control, Section 31, Discovery...about events all over the galaxy

About every event in Michael's life - how does she know when/where to go? (e.g. "She comes when Michael is in danger? How does she know")

The Suit now has SUPERPOWERS (e.g. redirecting sphere, saving Kalpians etc)

Also it seems to provide her with food and water, unless Nandos survived all life being wiped out.

30 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

Why couldn’t she put the suit on before she got sucked off into the big time hole? Or did I miss something there?

Admittedly, I was kind of dozing a little bit during this episode.

The time crystal powering it was destroyed before that happened.

1 hour ago, Meh said:

Spock is pretty much a completely different person. The actor doesn't even try to add a little of Nemoy to his performance, and just plain sucks. Same with Sarek.

STD Spock is basically one of the dickish human-patronising Vulcans from Enterprise turned up to 11. There’s practically zero of the original character, who could be very arch at times, but was also a warm friend to his human pals. Perhaps it’s a cackhanded attempt to show character ‘development’, but whatever, it’s another thing that makes the series rubbish.

44 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Is the good news that it’s one more closer to the last one?

For some reason I thought there were only 12 episodes this season so was really happy we were approaching the end.  But I now discover there is another 3 episodes to go. 

So far we've had red things in the sky, time travelling person in a suit, Section 31, artificial intelligence gone wrong , Tilly avoiding being shoved out an airlock and none of these plots are really working. 

I actually think the show has got worse since Season 1.  That at least attempted some interesting stuff.  Season 2 is just throwing stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks. 

On 01/04/2019 at 16:37, Meh said:

Spock is pretty much a completely different person. The actor doesn't even try to add a little of Nemoy to his performance, and just plain sucks. Same with Sarek.

Spock:

17+-+1

Sppprrrk:

brows1.gif

Remember Sarek at the beginning of this season? I genuinely thought he was a force ghost that only Burnham could see because of her mind meld but it turned out he was present on the ship and everyone else was simply ignoring him.

I had an idea about where the plot might be heading. Spoilered just in case..

Spoiler

What if at the end of this series, Burnham and her mother are not only successful in defeating Control but also in saving themselves during the Klingon attack when she was a girl.This in turn would mean Micheal never have gone to Vulcun to become Spock's adoptive sister, thus explaining why she never once came up previously. Be quite Ballsy to effectively go into Season 3 sans your previously selected main character.

Although it's more likely that it will end with Burnham having to sacrafice that life in order to save the universe.

7 minutes ago, LowCostMonkey said:

Hide contents

What if at the end of this series, Burnham and her mother are not only successful in defeating Control but also in saving themselves during the Klingon attack when she was a girl.This in turn would mean Micheal never have gone to Vulcun to become Spock's adoptive sister, thus explaining why she never once came up previously. Be quite Ballsy to effectively go into Season 3 sans your previously selected main character.

Although it's more likely that it will end with Burnham having to sacrafice that life in order to save the universe.

Duh. Then Season 3 can be

The Search for Burnham. BECAUSE THE UNIVERSE NEEDS HER

It always slightly bugs me in sci-fi that aliens have the same emotions and facial expressions as humans. I mean that's not even true on our planet. If a monkey gives you a toothy smile then man you had better start running.

I do accept that all things considered, it's a somewhat minor gripe and it is also somewhat essential for story telling purposes. 

1 hour ago, Hexx said:

Duh. Then Season 3 can be

Hide contents

The Search for Burnham. BECAUSE THE UNIVERSE NEEDS HER

My predictions for season 4 (if they get that far):

Captain Tilly commanding the USS Discovery NCC-1031-A (three-nascelled dreadnought variant with trans-spore drive). Saru still as first officer, but has become full-time sassy and sarcastic. Burnham appears as a crew member of the visiting 29th century timeship UTS Neelix.

1 hour ago, LowCostMonkey said:

Hide contents

Be a cool way to go.  Hard to see them getting rid of Burnham though, along with Pike at the same time.  You'd have basically three established characters left. Maybe we can get Lorca back...

Fingers crossed though. 

It says a lot when you're hoping for a massive space racist to be the Captain again. Pike has been bloody great, though. I kind of wish they'd brought the actor onboard with a different name, so he could actually be the actual actual Captain instead of just being there to fill in because of everyone's favourite space nazi being dropped into a big glowing ball of death.

Man, I miss Lorca.

They say they did but it was terribly done.  I think there was a general feeling that he might be from the Mirror Universe and he might not be the most savoury of characters but the twist to 'mustache twirling super-villiany' was much too over the top for the Character we had thus far seen.  It would have made much more sense if he was from the mirror universe but was one of the better ones from the mirror universe.l  Think Smiley in DS9. Making him ultra evil just didn't sit right for the character we'd seen previously - think how quickly Kirk's counterpart was discovered when he came to Prime universe in TOS. 

The character arc we've seen in Season 2 for Georgiou would have been much better suited to the Lorca we met last season than the empire queen who eats other species we ended up with. 

Dear God. That Batman's Nipple's of Klingons are back :(

Who cares that Section 31's fleet (WTF1?!?! and that everyone knows) about is chasing you and will follow you if you warp.

YOU HAVE A SPORE DRIVE. You can go ANYWHERE in an instant.

Actually come to think about it - why doesn't control care about the Spore Drive?

On 04/04/2019 at 09:48, Harsin said:

Spoilers for next episode.

- Scene where Burnham's actress stares really hard into the middle distance with eyes wide open until she manages to squeeze out some stage tears.

- A bit where some people talk to each other is made SUPER EXCITING by using Dutch angles making the camera spin around like it’s being filmed by a pisshead on a roundabout.

- Voiceover explaining the themes of the episode for the slower members of the audience.

- Tilly bursts onto the bridge in the middle of a crisis like Kramer and starts babbling and there are shots of various bridge officers smiling fondly and making an 'Oh you!' face.

IMG_20190405_104926.jpg

Star Trek Doctor Who crossover this week then.

Spoiler

Davros Pike.

"Why would the ship with a killer AI on board space all the crew??"

Hmm, think for a second about what you're saying Burnham.

Also, "you're a scientist Spock it's not like the universe is convenient and makes me the saviour of every... Oh wait."

Plus falling for the lone survivor obvious trap, ha.