rllmuk

Other stuff he's revealed...

It's set 10 years before Kirk's five year mission.

It's based around an incident in Starfleet history previously mentioned in TOS but not really explored. Not The Kobayashi Maru or the Romulan War, but apparently the latter is close.

It'll be serialised. Though that doesn't mean there can't be planet of the week episodes too.

It'll be more explicit than previous shows.

• Upvote 1

It restricts galaxy-shaking uber-events, yeah, but if he's doing a show where the lead character isn't the captain of the starship I imagine it won't be a show that revolves around that anyway.

It could be some daft fake out though like how Sisko was only a commander to start with, but it was still all about the senior officers.

It never made sense that he was in charge of a whole space station and was the same rank as Riker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I could see it being like the original premise for The West Wing - the episodes were meant to focus on the senior White House staff and the President was only meant to be seen occasionally. 

2 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Disappointed with the time period. Kind of restricts events when you know the general outcome. 

Agreed.  They can work well with the time frame but Enterprise showed that it isn't easy to do a prequel and respect the canon.  I thought Seasons 3 and 4 of Enterprise were pretty good though so it is not a major problem if the writing is good.  I guess I would prefer setting it following on from TNG/DS9/VOY timeframe.  Those three shows did so much world building that there is a massive canvass to play with by setting a show after them and you can literally do whatever you want.  

A bit more came out. It'll be 13 episodes. Uniforms closer to TOS than Enterprise. 

I kind of don't want to say it, but there's suggestions of Section 31 and Amanda Grayson (Spock's mum) being likely to appear in some capacity. 

5 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Disappointed with the time period. Kind of restricts events when you know the general outcome. 

They can't destroy planets or make huge technological changes, but it's still possible to write stories within the general framework. It'll be like the DC/Marvel shared universe - a sandbox is built, characters are introduced, exciting things happen, characters die, and the day is saved. They can easily introduce species and technologies that Kirk never encountered; It's simply necessary to establish why it isn't common knowledge.

16 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

Colour me disappointed with the time period.

It does seem a bit unambitious. Set it about 50 years after Voyager and have the balls to make some real changes to the Trek universe.  Or, if you want to set it around Kirk's time then set it in the new reboot universe where you can also do whatever you want. 

2 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Mmmmeeeehhh. Interest dropped to zero. I don't want another fucking prequel. I want new Trek, in a much later timeline. 

Anyone who says "you should watch Voyager" will get a slap.

Mumble... You should watch Andromeda,,, Mumble

(runs away)

Obsessing about the universe over the characters pretty much killed the franchise; I'd like to think that any Star Trek show worth making now won't be particularly sensitive to where in the timeline it lies.

• Upvote 1

Isn't the main reason they're doing this because it's an anthology series? I mean, first season pre-TOS, then one possibly during the TOS film timeline (set it on an Excelsior class plz!) then TNG and so on until it's in post Voyager space.

Nope. They scrapped the anthology idea some time ago.

I think the setting is fine really, as long as the story feels fresh. A proper serialised story with strong character development could make this feel very different to the older shows.

I hadn't realised that :(

Let's hope they encounter a wormhole/Q/time travel/ space McGuffin and end up in a different time period then, as setting it in a  similar time period to the original show, the previous Trek show and the current Trek films, seems utterly redundant to me.

Well, unlike the TNG era shows there's not much we've really seen about the TOS era outside of the Enterprise escapades. Also this will be the first Star Trek series designed from the start to tell a single serialised story, or at least season long story arcs. Enterprise suffered at first due to dull characters and uninspired stories, not the setting which I still think could have been used really well.

Speaking of the setting though, unless I've missed something it's still not clear which universe this takes place in. Ten years before TOS still places it a fair way after the point the two split apart.

3 hours ago, Mogster said:

Well, unlike the TNG era shows there's not much we've really seen about the TOS era outside of the Enterprise escapades. Also this will be the first Star Trek series designed from the start to tell a single serialised story, or at least season long story arcs. Enterprise suffered at first due to dull characters and uninspired stories, not the setting which I still think could have been used really well.

Speaking of the setting though, unless I've missed something it's still not clear which universe this takes place in. Ten years before TOS still places it a fair way after the point the two split apart.

Does it? The third film is set midway though the five year mission, so about the same point as TOS, and I don't think ten years has passed since the split.

The split happens when Nero shows up and destroys the Kelvin, which by an amazing coincidence happens to be exactly the same time that James T. Kirk is born. Unless the "youngest captain in Starfleet" is even younger than I thought, it's fair to say that more than ten years have passed between that and Beyond. ;)

Anyway, Discovery has indeed been confirmed as being set in the Prime universe:

Fuller put to rest the speculation about which universe the show was set in, saying “It is in the prime timeline.” 

First time I've been to AICN in ages and I see it's still the 90s over there. Anyway, they have some more stuff from Fuller.

This sounds a bit weird, but we won't know the main characters name at first. She will be referred to as "Number One" and we will learn her actual name sometime before the end of the season.

First episode written by Alex Kurtzman, second by Nicholas Meyer.

Expect some casting news in October, maybe with some people he's worked with before.

Even if the network wanted it, he would strongly advise against doing a season of about 26 episodes. Ideally, he'd like 10.

There's a few other bits and pieces at the link.

20 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This sounds a bit weird, but we won't know the main characters name at first. She will be referred to as "Number One" and we will learn her actual name sometime before the end of the season.

Going to be related to a character from one of the other ST shows, then?