rllmuk

Thought the first couple of episodes were pretty but dull and Yeoh’s wooden acting was absolutely dreadful. 

Third epsiode miles better and I’m in. As others have said, would have been much better to have 3rd episode as the pilot with Michael’s story told in flashback. 

• Upvote 3

I think starting with the third episode would have made the main character more likable as well. Basic story telling technique really where even though you know she's messed up in her past and been sent to prison, we're meeting her for the first time, so as viewers we don't have any baggage of her previous actions, and get to make a judgement on her current actions. Even if we then see what she did in flashbacks, we probably have more sympathy.

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

Re: the injuries;

Spoiler

they said that whatever killed the Klingons (i.e. the pinky from doom) wasn't what had killed the crew. It is likely that what killed the crew was essentially them being fudged up from the transport thing going incredibly wrong, since the science guy said they were pushing past safe boundaries and testing it again, and it was presumably also that which caused the bug thing to mutate. 

On 02/10/2017 at 13:55, Sabreman said:

Enjoyed episode 3. Setting up some intriguing stuff and again looked the part.

Reveal hidden contents

One thing was bugging me but I might just be reading it wrong; everyone's on Burnham's case for mutineering and starting the war that initially claimed 8000+ lives, but surely everyone knows that the Klingons attacked first, and that they were there specifically to incite conflict. Burnham's mutiny had nothing to do with the events that followed, and indeed only involved her trying to get the drop on the Klingons. Unless they're just talking about her self-defence killing of the sentry, but again that had nothing to do with her mutiny and was hardly a premeditated act. I just felt they were trying really hard to make her an outcast among her peers in this episode (with the aggressive science guy in particular), and it all felt a bit contrived.

I didn't buy that at all. Seemed over the top. 

• Upvote 1

On 03/10/2017 at 22:25, Alex W. said:

It's set before both, but after Enterprise.

Actually, it's set during TOS, if you count the original pilot (The Cage), which took place before Kirk became captain of the Enterprise (about 10 years before the first Kirk episode). In other words, the sequence goes The Cage->Discovery->Kirk episodes of TOS. /TREKPEDANTMODE

• Upvote 2

I've now watched the first two, and it doesn't do much for me. It's got that modern hyper-active genre movie vibe to it, and I still think it looks ugly (while expensive). It's like someone has spent millions of pounds on decorating their house, but not applied any taste and just crammed in as much shiny as possible.

After watching it, we put on the latest season of Halt and Catch Fire, the contrast was marked. Halt instantly feels like a proper drama, with actual characters, acting, etc., whereas I've been waiting two episodes for any actual substantial content in Discovery. It just feels rather juvenile and slight. While event-wise, more certainly happened in Discovery (a war starting), it had no impact at all emotionally or intellectually; it was just stuff happening on screen. The characterisation, story and dialogue in Halt is just effortlessly miles better.

I say all this as a long-time Trek fan, so I'm not being anti genre show or anti-Trek. Anyway, I'll give Discovery one more chance, as I understand episode three is effectively a second pilot, but it had better slow down and actually start having something to say. It doesn't have to (and shouldn't) follow the style of the earlier series, but to be Trek, it has to actually have some Trek elements to it, beyond sound effects and call-backs to the names of existing species and characters.

2 minutes ago, abc said:

I've now watched the first two, and it doesn't do much for me. It's got that modern hyper-active vibe to it, and I still think it looks ugly (while expensive). It's like someone has spent millions of pounds on decorating their house, but not applied any taste and just crammed in as much shiny as possible.

After watching it, we put on the latest season of Halt and Catch Fire, the contrast was marked. Halt instantly feels like a proper drama, with actual characters, acting, etc., whereas I've been waiting two episodes for any actual substantial content in Discovery. It just feels rather juvenile and slight. The characterisation, story and dialogue in Halt is just effortlessly miles better. Proper writing, as opposed to over-wrought nonsense.

I say all this as a long-time Trek fan, so I'm not being anti genre show or anti-Trek. Anyway, I'll give Discovery one more chance, as I understand episode three is effectively a second pilot, but it had better slow down and actually start having something to say. It doesn't have to (and shouldn't) follow the style of the earlier series, but to be Trek, it has to actually have some Trek elements to it, beyond sound effects and call-backs to the names of existing species and characters.

You are in for a shock. 3 sets the tone properly and shows what it should have been. Completely changed my mind!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lorfarius said:

You are in for a shock. 3 sets the tone properly and shows what it should have been. Completely changed my mind!

I hope so - I look forward to it!

• Upvote 1

It's a pity the new episodes are out on Mondays. It just feels like Sunday evening would be the best time to enjoy a new Trek episode. 

• Upvote 2

On 07/10/2017 at 19:15, The Hierophant said:

I didn't buy that at all. Seemed over the top. 

I'm not so sure it is wrong in the context of what Starfleet can plausibly deduce.  Whilst the audience knows that Klingons were always planning to attach, from Starfleet's point of view the attack only started after the Shinzon locked weapons on the ship and prepared to fire. Given that at least by TNG timeline a ship is aware when another ship has locked weapons I assumed that Starfleet was acting under the, incorrect, assumption that the Klingon attack was in response to the Shinzon locking weapons on it which would rather make it all Micheal's fault. Plus, about ten minutes before that she had managed to 'accidentally' kill a Klingon whilst on a scouting mission and then ten minutes after that she managed to 'accidentally/on purpose' kill the Klingon commander on what had been established as a capture mission and in a moment when it rather looked like she killed him on purpose in revenge rather than stunning him and capturing him as per her mission. 

I can see why people in Star fleet might reasonably think that Micheal is pretty much solely responsible for the war. 

• Upvote 1

I'm at work so not a detailed breakdown - but I think it had far to many elements going on as it tried to be serialised and a standalone story, some completely ridiculous moments/ideas [Landry and Michael both make incredibly stupid choices for no reason]

It's an episode that lacks any confidence. For viewers to be engaged everything's got to be important, dramatic, rushed. There's an OK story(ies?) under here, but everything happens at whistle speed, or to manufacture conflict becasue that's dramatic right?, that it becomes muddled. A slower, more thoughtful approach might have had better results.

"Who saved us"?  /cringe :D

Maybe guard the outpost that makes 40% of your fuel better? It's just nonsense that's meant to add to stakes, but just comes across silly

Landry's death was possibly  the most stupid in Trek - coupled with finding out Gregiou was EATEN...that's a bit OTT. I expect Twitter's exploded with "STD hates minority women!"...not sure I'd go that far...

And why is Micheal just getting her inheritance now? And who went and got it from the ShenShzou...and left the rest behind? Worst salvagers ever

• Upvote 1

Episode 4

Spoiler

That was one dumbass move opening the containment field to try and shoot a claw off. I expect of Trek for Federation officers to consider their moves a bit more. I know they were on a deadline to get to the mining colony, but still... I didn't have any sympathy when she got chewed up. I just thought, jesus, what a fucking idiot.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

Episode 4

Reveal hidden contents

That was one dumbass move opening the containment field to try and shoot a claw off. I expect of Trek for Federation officers to consider their moves a bit more. I know they were on a deadline to get to the mining colony, but still... I didn't have any sympathy when she got chewed up. I just thought, jesus, what a fucking idiot.

I think it was meant to be a lay your cards out shocking/grim GoT style "Anyone can die!" moment...

But I just thought "Yeah, if they're stupid"

The long Klingon fingers looked terrible. 

And the quirky crew member is far too quirky, I'd excuse it if she was an alien race. I expect better from the writers writing about the science fiction fantasy future of the human race. 

The push to make fanfic a derogatory term has worked. The old hack club must be loving foisting this rubbish on us whilst still getting paid. 

I disagree with those who hated this episode (4). It had no more nonsense in it than the average episode of TNG. I did laugh at those bits, but it was the themes that mattered and I think they got those elements across superbly.

Spoiler

The creature being in obvious distress despite them saving people was very well done, and I actually teared up a little bit at the telescope - as I was thinking this is what Star Trek is all about, and it has meaning in such a simple gesture. I just hope the series keeps expanding on it slowly.

• Upvote 6

Ep 4 "My ganglia are still unconvinced"

Spoiler

Finding the experimenting on aliens too familar after the Equinox two parter on Voyager. 

Tory from BG death scene seemed a bit jarring, stupid, and surprisingly violent!

I'm finding the Klingons frustrating. They take ages to speak, but they look really cool.

Just point a level camera at a person saying some dialogue in a brightly lit room then cut to a shot of the other person responding. Do that for about 80% of screen time. Break it up with occasional slow shots of models floating through space with a Captain's log narration. It isn't hard.

I'm going to keep watching this because of course I am, but I wish it was Star Trek.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Benny said:

I disagree with those who hated this episode (4). It had no more nonsense in it than the average episode of TNG. I did laugh at those bits, but it was the themes that mattered and I think they got those elements across superbly.

Hide contents

The creature being in obvious distress despite them saving people was very well done, and I actually teared up a little bit at the telescope - as I was thinking this is what Star Trek is all about, and it has meaning in such a simple gesture. I just hope the series keeps expanding on it slowly.

I’m really impressed with how invested they’ve made me in the villain. You don’t want him to win, but you still feel for him and his crew.

Doing an A plot and a B plot that are both about people testing their principles to fix their engines was nice.