rllmuk

32 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

When you presenting something like that as first footage for such an avid fanbase you want it to look competent at the very least. I think Farscape had better CGi :lol:

Farscape had bloody amazing CGI for the time. It still looks good (though SD forever).

They've said it's not the final CGI, and not even the final ship design. Totally is, though.

I hope this one doesn't have a song in the title serquence. One of the early indicators of a Sci-Fi TV series failure is a theme song rather than a sweeping orchestral piece.

That said, Enterprise kept going for 4 seasons fuelled only by the fans desire to see Archer watching water polo and getting beaten up by a different alien every week.

It's Brian Fuller so it will be good. But it'll only last between 1 and 3 seasons.

I look forward to Internet people discovering him as a show runner. Like when they believed that Vince Gillighan and Ron Moore were some sort of new break out talents for creating Breaking Bad and Battlestar Galactica - the Deep Space 9 years.

36 minutes ago, DirkCrisis said:

It's Brian Fuller so it will be good. But it'll only last between 1 and 3 seasons.

I actually think its got a real fighting chance to run and run - it's going to be shown by Netflix in 188 countries - 24 hours after each episode appears on CBS. 

I think they are doing all the right things (not syndicating it, not using it to prop up a new network). I reckon its going to be pretty big all told - I believe they understand how television works these days and they are embracing that model. On Netflix good shows always find their audience.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Venice Cull said:

Bryan Fuller has done some fantastic television series (Hannibal being a high point for me) - so I'm not overly concerned - in fact, I think it might be something special.  BUT I do like my Trek ships to have Nacelles.  I think my favourite ship design was Voyager, so was perhaps expecting something along those lines. 

It does have nacelles.

21 minutes ago, Venice Cull said:

Ah i might hand in my trek badge - i thought nacelles were the long thin tubes above/to the side of ships, and which created the warp field.

They are. And this does have them.

star-trek-discoverys-pic.jpg

Ah, completely missed those for some reason. It may be the 'balance' of them that's throwing me off. I think I'd prefer them to be set further back - not pointing back into the ship area, if that makes sense.

Also, it looks like the entire ship consists of hammered copper sheeting all wielded together.

Hopefully it'll get sexed up a little.

Given they've not even started filming and the proper CGI will take time to complete I think people are probably being slightly hard on the test footage.  I am sure it will look better than that come launch.

Not sure on the time period if it is pre TOS.  I would suggest setting a new series sometime after Voyager so you can do whatever you want going forwards.  Prequel series are always going to be tied up in respecting established cannon.  A post Voyager series has a lot of existing background elements to draw on which could make a great new serialised show. 

• Upvote 1

More info from Comic Con about this.

http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/24/exclusive-star-trek-discovery-producers-on-ships-design-shows-themes/

The Discovery’s Design

During the press conference, Fuller responded to a question from Access Hollywood’s Scott Mantz regarding how much influence an early conceptual design for Star Trek: The Motion Picture of the Enterprise had influenced the U.S.S. Discovery by stating “[it was] to a point where we legally can’t comment on it until we figure out some things.” When Trekmovie.com asked Kadin if the teaser for Star Trek: Discovery featured the final design of the ship, music, and logo, she laughed and said “NO! I was surprised Bryan didn’t say that, actually. I mean, we had three weeks to throw that together. We wanted to show fans…we’re super-excited by the score that this amazing composer, Fil Eisner, threw together as an audition and he did an incredible job. The concepts of the ship are totally what we’re going for and they’ll be honed up until, I think, the day we deliver.”

• Upvote 1

It's a difficult balance. Go too far forward in time and you have super technology that makes it easy to solve any problem with made up bollocks.
Go too far back and you run into a continuity nightmare that heavily restricts what existing races and events you can use.

My preference would have been for it to run as part of the movie universe, concurrently with the films but only interacting with them occasionally, Agents of SHIELD style.

Star Trek Disco.

11 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

It's a difficult balance. Go too far forward in time and you have super technology that makes it easy to solve any problem with made up bollocks.

That's a writing problem, not a timeline problem. There are plenty of TNG episodes that suffered from super-technology solving problems with made up bollocks.

If you set it straight after Voyager it'd have the same technological level as the rest of the shows set in that 15 year period. 

The "prequel" show that could have worked at the time was the amazing adventures of Captain Sulu and the Excelsior.  They could have it set at around The Undiscovered Country and still had room to have a few nods to the original series such as visiting former crewmembers of the Enterprise.

• Upvote 1

Do we really need a third Star Trek thread on here?

Anyway:

http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/24/exclusive-star-trek-discovery-producers-on-ships-design-shows-themes/

When Trekmovie.com asked Kadin if the teaser for Star Trek: Discovery featured the final design of the ship, music, and logo, she laughed and said “NO! I was surprised Bryan didn’t say that, actually. I mean, we had three weeks to throw that together. We wanted to show fans…we’re super-excited by the score that this amazing composer, Fil Eisler, threw together as an audition and he did an incredible job. The concepts of the ship are totally what we’re going for and they’ll be honed up until, I think, the day we deliver.”

So it's all likely to change in the final show.

EDIT: Ooops, sorry missed the second page of the thread.

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Comrade said:

Do we really need a third Star Trek thread on here?

What is wrong with having a new thread for a new show? It's been said that mega threads are bad for a number of different reasons, yet here we are again with someone complaining about making a new thread instead of using a mega thread. 

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What is wrong with having a new thread for a new show? It's been said that mega threads are bad for a number of different reasons, yet here we are again with someone complaining about making a new thread instead of using a mega thread. 

Well, there was a bunch of chat about the new show in the general Trek thread, and now the conversation is all split up.

Deal with it. The other stuff was nothing. Most of it was even incorrect. Now we have something tangible, so nothing wrong with a thread for it. 

• Upvote 6