Star Trek Discovery

Commander Jameson

1 hour ago, IcEBuRN said:

Fucking discovery writers man. It's not like this is a tiny blunder from not knowing 50 years of lore. It's literally the main point and usp of the ship, in the same series! :facepalm:

To be fair, that's easily handwaved away. The 23rd century research could have been wrong, and later researches found it wasn't as extensive as they thought. It would be a bit too convenient if Discovery could instant jump literally anywhere in the universe.

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

To be fair, that's easily handwaved away. The 23rd century research could have been wrong, and later researches found it wasn't as extensive as they thought. It would be a bit too convenient if Discovery could instant jump literally anywhere in the universe.

I don't think that's true. The great barrier existed in TOS, it had episodes about it. Also having discovery jump anywhere (with some plot limitations like Stamets sprinkled in) would make for some amazing  star trek episodes, jumpingabout the known universe multiverse, visiting god knows what. But I guess that would of required some thought from the writers. Not just Mary Burnham and tears.

40 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

I don't think that's true. The great barrier existed in TOS, it had episodes about it. Also having discovery jump anywhere (with some plot limitations like Stamets sprinkled in) would make for some amazing  star trek episodes, jumpingabout the known universe multiverse, visiting god knows what. But I guess that would of required some thought from the writers. Not just Mary Burnham and tears.

I meant the mycelial network, not the Great Barrier which has indeed been a thing since the second TOS pilot. :)

I was suggesting that the extent of the mycelial network could have been overestimated in the 23rd century, as it's not like Discovery ever tried to leave the galaxy and it seems few ships ever bothered to get too close to the great barrier. It may have been later studies that found that it unexpectedly thinned out as it reached the edge.

You're right that a universe-wide network could have made for an interesting show in its own right, but I guess I mean it would have been too much for the show we have. It would certainly have saved time if Discovery could have immediately jumped to species whatever the second they pinpointed their location though.

It's "nice" to see judging by clips of the latest season that they've just doubled down on the exact same utter rot as the last one, such as Michael and Book's endless unseen nest of Gundarks adventures.

I can’t believe we’re 11 episodes into looking for mystery race, what would probably have been covered by 1 episode of an old show. And still not there. Whole episodes covering what a couple of lines of technobabble would have covered, while probably also making more consistent sense. 

Saru’s awkward quest for Vulcan sexy fun times has become more engaging. 

3 hours ago, Benny said:

And Mass Effect just ripped off Babylon 5. It's the circle of life.

I'm talking more about the look, there's a part of this episode that is ripped right out of the Collectors ship/base down to the exact same lighting of the scenes and then the EV suits taken straight out of Andromeda.

I hate watched the latest episode during lunch

Spoiler

seriously, you tempt me in with some form of super advanced race, you use the word boronite which to me means they are using Omega.

you tempt me in with a mission to excavate a dead planet for info about the origins of a mysterious advanced race. i love this shit.

and you give me a councilor Troi episode about emotions.

it's like the script is being written as a contest on an episode of the apprentice.

she's going to fucking cry them into submission in the session finale isn't she?

edit: I reckon they are going to do the next bit to spite me. for years, one encounter in Star Trek left me clamouring for more info, I was fascinated, enthralled, my imagination had run wild on it for years. The whale probe. species 10-c are going to be the whale aliens and she's going to smug face cry them into submission isn't she?

• 2 weeks later...

YouTube has been throwing me a lot of Discovery clips recently for some reason. So I watched one. Burnham emoting with someone clearly superior to her in the chain of command.

People, I cannot stress this enough. Do not watch any Discovery in any form.

4 minutes ago, Festoon said:

I'd forgotten Discovery existed.

Is the fourth season any good? Or has it disimproved?

It's still got a lot of issues, but aside from a couple of episodes I've quite enjoyed this season on the whole. There's yet another threat to the entire galaxy to deal with of course, but it's managed to lead to some interesting ideas and a decent amount of exploration and sci-fi stuff. It still has some completely daft stuff mixed in, and drags out its plot way more than it should, but it's been okay.

I haven't watched the last episode yet though. :ph34r:

The season finalé was... okay. There was however some crying, incredibly.

Spoiler

I liked that the resolution was a diplomatic one, and it felt suitably Star Trekky. However I did think that things progressed a bit too quickly from agonising over a choice of number to being able to communicate complex ideas with ease.

Also Book's dead not dead fake out was silly, and felt like an excuse for Burnham to have another good cry.

I definitely think this was the best season so far, although it's still a long way off challenging any of the classic shows. I think I like the direction things are going though, and I'm almost looking forward to the next season.

Almost.

This is a sobering thread after reading all the posts on Twitter that it’s been fantastic this season. Admittedly, one of the thread starters said he would delete negative tweets and block the authors so there was a lack of balance.

• 5 months later...

I stopped watching this after season 2 - I wasn’t really enjoying it at all; it looked amazing but I found a lot of the characters and storylines to be incredibly dull.

However, I’ve just started Strange New Worlds and I’m really enjoying that, although I’m only a couple of episodes in and I’m just hoping it continues like it does.

Did I give up on Discovery at a bad time? Is it much better and worth getting back into?

2 minutes ago, monsly said:

Did I give up on Discovery at a bad time? Is it much better and worth getting back into?

I've only seen season 3 as I don't have / don't want Paramount+.

Season 3 wasn't quite as bad as season 2 but it was still terrible. I don't think Discovery will ever really improve, it is what it is.

Strange New Worlds sounds like it's genuinely pretty good though.

11 minutes ago, monsly said:

Nope, it never gets better. It’s not Picard levels of awfulness, but it’s close.

I thought season 3 was an improvement on 2, but that's obviously not saying much and it was still pretty bad on the whole. Season 4 was much better in my opinion, but suffered from dragging out its story way too much as usual. I definitely wouldn't go out of your way to watch it.

Strange New Worlds remains absolutely brilliant throughout though. Lower Decks is also great fun, and far better than it has any right to be. Prodigy is aimed at kids but is also a good watch. Picard is an abomination.

2 hours ago, monsly said:

I stopped watching this after season 2 - I wasn’t really enjoying it at all; it looked amazing but I found a lot of the characters and storylines to be incredibly dull.

However, I’ve just started Strange New Worlds and I’m really enjoying that, although I’m only a couple of episodes in and I’m just hoping it continues like it does.

Discovery is written to be a show about one main character, so it's not very Star Trekky anyway. 

It's also shite.

36 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I glimpsed something yesterday about how the pitch for SNW was “Let’s make Star Trek”. Which says a lot about it and Discovery/Picard. 

I think it was "Let's just make Star Trek", as opposed to trying to do something different with the setting. I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with making a serialised Star Trek show, but Paramount clearly aren't very good at it. 

Discovery's main issue at the moment is that it keeps trying to stretch out a thin story over the course of a whole season of episodes. Season 4 could have made for a pretty good two parter in the middle of a show like Strange New Worlds, ideally with more restrained stakes instead of threatening the whole galaxy again.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...