IGNORED

Star Trek Discovery

Commander Jameson

On 12/12/2020 at 17:55, Death's Head said:

That was hilarious especially Stamets really milking the awkward narration.

Best part of the series so far when:  

Spoiler

She stabbed him in the neck straight after he came out with that excruciating shite.

15 hours ago, Nicky said:

Yes. I went into a stream the other day and siad how shit discovery was. 90% of the people that replied thought it was good. ARE WE WATCHING THE SAME SHIT?!

I think it’s probably because most long-term Star Trek fans have given up by now, and don’t want to even think about Discovery let alone keep discussing it like you masochistic weirdos. :lol:

I've gone back to watch season 1 from the point I gave up because I want to know where evil Georgio came from and what happened to the giant tardigrade. I'm up to ep10 now, and once you ignore the fact they are jumping around the galaxy with magic mushrooms, it's not too bad! OR. Season 3 is so bad that season 1 now looks like a masterpiece.

What happened to the giant tardigrade? It activated its spore drive and vanished. Ok.

3 hours ago, GC Zombie said:

I've gone back to watch season 1 from the point I gave up because I want to know where evil Georgio came from and what happened to the giant tardigrade. I'm up to ep10 now, and once you ignore the fact they are jumping around the galaxy with magic mushrooms, it's not too bad! OR. Season 3 is so bad that season 1 now looks like a masterpiece.

What happened to the giant tardigrade? It activated its spore drive and vanished. Ok.

I agree. In hindsight, given what became of the series, Season 1 isn't actually that bad. Lorca was a good captain with some apparent depth and issues until they went and turned him into boring shouty no depth villain of the week and killed him off in the same episode.

Burnham is certainly the central character but not completely overpowering like in later seasons. Tyler has a decent mystery about him which kind of fizzles out. The war with the Klingons is interesting until it kinda just fizzles out. 

Indeed, there is a lot of promise about Season 1 until it all just, you've guessed it, fizzled out and the show rebranded itself as the Burnham show with everything and everyone having to revolve around her. 

It's the bridge crew which are the weirdest aspect. They appear every episode so you think they must be regular characters but they are treated as just background characters most of the time. You almost think there's some weird production issues where they get paid less or something so the writers aren't allowed to actually give them their own storylines.  Because, let's face it, however much anyone involved with this may love Burnham, surely the writers are slightly tired of having to shoehorn the character into every single storyline? 

Remember when Star Trek was good?

The only good thing in this series is Doug Jones who is excellent. Everything else remains unwatchable scrambled-egg-brain gibberish. I’m genuinely not sure how this got made, or continues to get made. 

Presumably it's doing okay the rate they're green lighting new series. But I read somewhere that Netflix weren't particularly happy with how their deal with CBS for rights outside the US worked out for them. Notable that they didn't end up with Picard and both them and Amazon didn't bother picking up Lower Decks (which is the only half decent thing to come out of Kurtz Trek so far).

On 15/12/2020 at 13:02, McCoy said:

Indeed, there is a lot of promise about Season 1 until it all just, you've guessed it, fizzled out and the show rebranded itself as the Burnham show with everything and everyone having to revolve around her. 

It didn’t rebrand. Even in the early press material they said it was all about Burnham. Even before they’d given her name or said who was playing her.

* As we reported, the show’s lead character will be female. Fuller elaborated that she will be human but not a captain. She is a “Lieutenant Commander — with caveats.”

* On the main story driving the 13-episode first season: “There’s an incident, an event in Star Trek history in the history of Starfleet that had been talked about but never fully explored. [We’re telling] that story through a character who is on a journey that is going to teach her how to get along with others in the galaxy.”

9 minutes ago, deKay said:

It didn’t rebrand. Even in the early press material they said it was all about Burnham. Even before they’d given her name or said who was playing her.

I didn't mean it literally rebranded, simply that over the course of the show its become even more the Burnham show to hilarious degrees. Sure Season 1 was centered on her but you still had plot points with Lorca and Ash etc. And she was, for all intents and purposes a slightly flawed Starfleet officer.

By the end of season 2 Burnham is, literally, saving the universe. 

Most shows start off with a central character and then give depth to supporting characters along the way. Discovery basically went the opposite directly where now, three years in, no plot point can exist unless it somehow revolves around Burnham and that the actress playing Burnham can basically be featured heavily in every single episode. With preferably at least one scene showcasing her crying ability.