22 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Michael having to be in every single story thread feels weird when there are multiple threads overlapping.

Another reason why inserting her into Sarek and Spock's backgrounds is such a poor decision, considering she'll never be mentioned again in any other Star Trek series.

On 19/02/2019 at 08:16, SpagMasterSwift said:

Michael having to be in every single story thread feels weird when there are multiple threads overlapping.

Yeah, it's not a great ensemble show really. Trek has always had a focus point (the Captains) but have always had loads of episodes which were largely about characters other than the Captain. Deep Space Nine was great for this, there were some episodes where it is like Sisko is barely featured. Burnham does feel a bit omnipresent in this show though. 

I've only watched the teaser so far and type this as the opening credits are on but already picked up on things that annoy me. Like Michael goes into a room and Tilly is there with the unnamed robot bridge lady. They could give her a line for a change, justify her being there, but no...it's more Tilly being ditsy Tilly! That's so Tilly! 

They also can't do the 'as we know...' lines that all these shows have to do to keep the audience informed. It's just so hamfisted.

'its kaminar....but, saru!'

'yes....kaminar....is my homeworld'

Everyone on the bridge would already know that. Such a stupid line. Grrr.

Plot, character, theme, stakes... another tick in the “this is how the show should work” column. Two for six isn’t great but I feel like they have the seeds of the show’s future here in terms of a more continuity-led show with traditional Trek stories in each episode.

This is the episode where they obviously bought a split diopter lens and needed to keep using it, after that one episode with all the wacky camera moves. :lol: 

2 hours ago, MpM said:

How many 'Apprehensive look to crew mate' shots can one show fit in...

I also like that it’s now a rule it seems that the camera can never be stationary 

2 hours ago, IcEBuRN said:

Meh. I still liked it! 

But I'm also of the camp of preferring long story arcs vs monster of the week stuff like this. :blink:

Eh? The Red Angel and Saru's story aren't specific to this week's episode.

1 hour ago, Hexx said:

I also like that it’s now a rule it seems that the camera can never be stationary 

The round table discussion between Pike, Saru and Burnham was dizzying. It's moments like that where the programme should pause for breath, instead of relying on relentless, sweeping shots to convey the gravity of the situation at all times. Not that it's specific to Discovery but I'm occasionally left feeling a bit burnt out watching it, because almost everything is saturated with high drama or overly earnest expressions of deep emotion. I'm almost apathetic by the time the supposedly meaningful plot points are supposed to occur.