"This is one of the most sophisticated life forms I've encountered. It has sentience" 

What the utter fuck did I just watch. I mean it wasn't boring like last week, but what the fuck. 18 storylines spilled out at once like a particularly creamy episode of Dr Pimple Popper, and none of it made any sense at all.

• Upvote 2

Episode 5 came across like it has been focus tested to death.  And then had Netflix algorithms and execs poke around the body. 

Characters move in and out of the mix like an engineer moving sliders up and down like a maniac.  It's so uneven and disjointed.  It's a total crappy mess.

I really enjoyed episode 5.

Spoiler

Even the return of Hugh, whilst contrived, was quite sweet. The whole black-ops Section 31 story arc could be quite interesting, not so sure about the potential time travel shenanigans that's due to happen though. Time travel is usually the easiest way to kill a franchise.

Space Poochie is really trying my patience. What sort of secret agency carry around special unique secret agency badges on missions?

Section 31 is the sort of fan-wank trash I’d kind of hoped this project would lead the franchise away from, and they’re trying so hard to sell it for a spin-off. Ugh.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, MpM said:

This whole show would be far more suitable as a cartoon..

Star Trek: The Adventures Of Tilly.

You're right, it might be ok if they rebranded it a little. How's this?

7101f045-76bc-4760-9f71-0f506bfefacd.png

Members of the CIA should walk around wearing easily recognisable badges that everyone is apparently familiar with, would really help with their covert ops.

• Upvote 2

I know she has her fans, but I just don’t get it. Unless it’s irony.

She’s a ridiculous, terrible, irritant of a character. Puerile comic relief, intentionally and otherwise, obnoxious exposition delivery vehicle, and just the least convincing scientist or Federation captain candidate.

I’m convinced the showrunners are trolling. Or they lost a bet with Will Wheaton.

• Upvote 3

I don’t get why the plot is so all over the place; so much makes barely any sense, and they’re making minimal use of the ship’s ability to jump, which was surely the only unique thing about the show. 

• Upvote 1

I love how Section 31 has gone from an organisation admirals won't even acknowledge the existence of in private conversation to a branch of Starfleet that everyone knows about. They used to be a whisper on the wind in DS9 and here they are in Discovery, towing ships and having liaisons placed in plain sight on the bridge of another vessel.

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

I love how Section 31 has gone from an organisation admirals won't even acknowledge the existence of in private conversation to a branch of Starfleet that everyone knows about. They used to be a whisper on the wind in DS9 and here they are in Discovery, towing ships and having liaisons placed in plain sight on the bridge of another vessel.

Everything about this show screams that they wanted to place it post TNG tineline until an edict from above said it had to be TOS era. Which is fine, but they didn't really bother rewriting the plot to compensate. 

• Upvote 2

I'm enjoying this as it's incredibly well-produced and Anson Mount is great but I can't understand why every scene is such a weird scramble.

It's like every scene has no room to breathe and is a weird breathless egg-and-spoon race to get through the dialogue. Very strange.

The visual effects are utterly incredible for a TV show though.

• Upvote 1

Well that was a load of poop on a poop stick.

Jesus what are they doing with Section 31....

Did anyone else find it out that  Jett Reno just disappeared?

2 hours ago, Festoon said:

The visual effects are utterly incredible for a TV show though.

..but then Tilly opens her mouth.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone else this odd? Like it's playing at x1.25 speed or something at somepoint? People's motions look really odd sometimes. (Other than that fight scene that could have been shot in treacle)

• Upvote 1

Why do they walk around in the dark using piss poor torches strapped to their shoulders? Did somebody outlaw any future developments of night vision goggles in the future?

And Jar Jar Tilly continues to be an annoying arsehole.

I really like this season - but then I enjoyed the first one, too. I dunno - I just fucking really enjoy watching it, despite the faults.

Tilly is genuinely overdone this season, though - she just keeps bursting out of the turbolift onto the bridge and says THIS IS THE ANSWER. DO THIS. She's like a mentally unstable Wesley Crusher.

Also give us SYBOK. I WANT TO SEE YOUNG SYBOK BEING MENTAL.

• Upvote 1