Star Trek Discovery - S3 streaming now - Everything Was Burnham

Love reading all these spoilers.

i haven’t even got round to watching the mirror universe episode(s?) yet.

not sure how many back that is, but I think I’m out, mainly just through lazyness.

that pike show will be good though right? -_-

1 hour ago, Fuddle said:

that pike show will be good though right? -_-

I'm not holding my breath. I mean, Picard should have been good with with a competent team behind it, but look what we ended up with.

There were a couple of early season 2 episodes where things seemed to be picking up, and Mount's Pike worked well as the captain. If we get more along those lines then maybe it'll turn out well. 

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

I'm not holding my breath. I mean, Picard should have been good with with a competent team behind it, but look what we ended up with.

There were a couple of early season 2 episodes where things seemed to be picking up, and Mount's Pike worked well as the captain. If we get more along those lines then maybe it'll turn out well. 

Throw enough mud(d) at the wall and see what sticks,  The amount of stuff they are churning out now some of it should be good (unless Lower Decks was it!).

Something episodic would be great. By all means have a loose arc in the background, Buffy-style, but different writers for each episode, the odd two-parter, and we might get something watchable. The trouble with doing pure serial storytelling across 12 episodes is that if the story is crap you're stuck with it for the whole season. Picard, for instance, would have just been a two-parter in the old days and and all the better for it.

I also find these season-long stories less rewatchable; I'll still pick out the odd favourite episodes of old Trek or Buffy to rewatch but am I likely to commit to a rewatch of Discovery season 1? That's a 12 episode commitment for a complete story versus 45 minutes. So not really!

1 hour ago, Death's Head said:

Something episodic would be great. By all means have a loose arc in the background, Buffy-style, but different writers for each episode, the odd two-parter, and we might get something watchable. The trouble with doing pure serial storytelling across 12 episodes is that if the story is crap you're stuck with it for the whole season. Picard, for instance, would have just been a two-parter in the old days and and all the better for it.

I also find these season-long stories less rewatchable; I'll still pick out the odd favourite episodes of old Trek or Buffy to rewatch but am I likely to commit to a rewatch of Discovery season 1? That's a 12 episode commitment for a complete story versus 45 minutes. So not really!

The amount of actual substance to the plot of Picard wouldn't have even warranted a two parter. It'd be a one and done.

I thought S3 was as good as the show has been so far. That doesn't mean I thought it was great, or anything, but it was better than what we've had before. Would I still be watching it if it didn't have the Star Trek name on it? I doubt it very much. Whilst there are elements of it I like (and I think the cast are great) it feels very much like generic SyFy channel SPACESHIP GO PEW far too much of the time. It's miles better than Picard was, but that is an extremely low bar to clear.

I agree that these season-long arcs are terrible. Can we have more strange new worlds, new life and new civilisations please?

If it wasn’t Star Trek I think I would be more likely to keep going.

its the constant contradictions to years worth of the other shows that’s (one of )the most annoying parts.

21 minutes ago, readonly said:

I agree that these season-long arcs are terrible. Can we have more strange new worlds, new life and new civilisations please?

I have found Discovery to be quite watchable, but I think I do file it automatically separately from 90s Trek in my mind.  It is strange to think that the Star Wars show now has more of the old school episodic structure while making more of an impact.  It showed that maybe some audience has grown tired of shows with mystery dragged out over a season.  

I’m not sure if the stakes always have to be so high in these shows, we are always seeing universe ending, Federation crippling events, when I just want to spend more time with the crew.

That's it - they're asking us to care about these characters as they desperately emote but without those singular or even daft episodes - they ones where they dress up as Robin Hood or Miles O'brien goes to prison for 900 years - why should we give a toss? 

Also part of Discovery's problem is that they've spent most of their time focusing on characters who aren't even in it any more at the expense of the regulars. How much time was spent on Lorca, who isn't in it any more? Voq/Tyler, who isn't in it any more? Spock? Georgiou? Entire seasons spent on characters who are now not around. Now we're stuck with the bridge crew, who have been languishing around since the beginning, and frankly I don't care if you can hold your breath for ten minutes, love. Maybe I would if I'd learned anything about you two seasons ago. 

Spoiler

So, did they piss off Doug Jones? Out of costume for the last few eps. Set up to not be around in S4. Weird bit where he's not around for Burnhams promotion? Surely he should be to wrap up plotline from earlier in the season?

Weird.

3 minutes ago, Death's Head said:

That's it - they're asking us to care about these characters as they desperately emote but without those singular or even daft episodes - they ones where they dress up as Robin Hood or Miles O'brien goes to prison for 900 years - why should we give a toss? 

Also part of Discovery's problem is that they've spent most of their time focusing on characters who aren't even in it any more at the expense of the regulars. How much time was spent on Lorca, who isn't in it any more? Voq/Tyler, who isn't in it any more? Spock? Georgiou? Entire seasons spent on characters who are now not around. Now we're stuck with the bridge crew, who have been languishing around since the beginning, and frankly I don't care if you can hold your breath for ten minutes, love. Maybe I would if I'd learned anything about you two seasons ago. 

I'm sure they snuck in a blonde this season who wasn't there before.

She appeared on the penultimate episode of last season. Then after one episode decided that she was that dedicated to MICHAEL BURNHAM after knowing her for about a day, that she would give up all her friends and family and chuck away whatever life she has just so that MICHAEL BURNHAM wouldn't feel lonely in the future.

36 minutes ago, Death's Head said:

She was Airram's actor I think.  You know - the robot woman who got a whole episode of being an actual person before being bumped off.

Slightly more complicated. She was Airram in season 1, then different actress took over Airram for season 2. Once that Airram killed off original actress came back as a human. All very strange. 

4 hours ago, McCoy said:

Slightly more complicated. She was Airram in season 1, then different actress took over Airram for season 2. Once that Airram killed off original actress came back as a human. All very strange. 

What? What? WHAT?

How fucking strange? It's like they're getting bored with the complicated makeup.

2 hours ago, Festoon said:

What? What? WHAT?

How fucking strange? It's like they're getting bored with the complicated makeup.

I think it was a problem with the length of time and possibly an allergic reaction that made them recast her, so it’s not far off the truth.  

I remembered last night how shitty the final line was (I think it was the final line, there was a lot of shit enraging me at the time). They had spent some time in a previous episode discussing Saru's catchphrase when giving an order. They could only come up with terrible ones that sounded odd. Nothing like "engage", or "hit it".

Final scene, new Captain gives an order. Dramatic pause... Here comes the catchphrase we've all been waiting for..... "Let's fly" (whispered). Nope. Shit. Fuckoff.

9 hours ago, McCoy said:

She seemed to disappear a bit for this season. Wait, that wasn't her with the rest of the bridge crew was it? I thought she was blonde.

42 minutes ago, GC Zombie said:

I remembered last night how shitty the final line was (I think it was the final line, there was a lot of shit enraging me at the time). They has spent some time in a previous episode discussing Saru's catchphrase when giving an order. They could only come up with terrible ones that sounded odd. Nothing like "engage", or "hit it".

Final scene, new Captain gives an order. Dramatic pause... Here comes the catchphrase we've all been waiting for..... "Let's fly" (whispered). Nope. Shit. Fuckoff.

Imagine that in a crisis situation. Warp 5, any heading. Let's fly. :facepalm:

[Bridge]

PICARD: Fire at will.
WORF: Launching torpedoes. Phaser spread continuing.
DATA: Still no damage to the Borg vessel, sir.
(The Borg weapon cuts through the Enterprise like a hot knife through butter, almost.)
COMPUTER: Warning. Outer hull breach.
WORF: They're cutting into the hull. Engineering section.
RIKER: Geordi, evacuate Engineering.

[Engineering]

LAFORGE: Computer. Evacuation sequence.
COMPUTER: Sealing doors to core chamber.
LAFORGE: Come on, move it, people! Let's go! Let's go!
COMPUTER: Decompression danger, deck thirty six, section four.

[Bridge]

COMPUTER: Sealing Main Engineering.
SHELBY: Data, fluctuate phaser resonance frequencies. Random settings. Keep them changing. Don't give them time to adapt.
(Finally, boom and judder)
WORF: The tractor beam has been released.
PICARD: Warp nine. Course, one five one mark three three zero...

Spoiler

9 hours ago, drmick said:

She seemed to disappear a bit for this season. Wait, that wasn't her with the rest of the bridge crew was it? I thought she was blonde.

I got confused by that at various times. I had to scroll back through the ep to figure it out. This other, rather similar-looking, bridge-crew member with black hair seems to have appeared in the last couple of episodes. But the blonde one one (google tells me she's called Lt. Nilsson) is still there too. Does anyone know the name of the one with dark hair?

Star Trek Discovery - S3 streaming now - Everything Was Burnham - Page 138 - Film, TV & Radio - rllmuk - Google Chrome.jpg

33 minutes ago, Nifta said:

I got confused by that at various times. I had to scroll back through the ep to figure it out. This other, rather similar-looking, bridge-crew member with black hair seems to have appeared in the last couple of episodes. But the blonde one one (google tells me she's called Lt. Nilsson) is still there too. Does anyone know the name of the one with dark hair?

Star Trek Discovery - S3 streaming now - Everything Was Burnham - Page 138 - Film, TV & Radio - rllmuk - Google Chrome.jpg

Lt. Ina apparently:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ina

I put the final episode on last night but could barely muster my attention away from my phone, and every time I looked up I was made to regret it.

Spoiler

Burnham was being eaten by a console? The USS Discovery managing to repel close range attacks from a fleet of ships 900 years more advanced for longer than one second? Gray was a hologram? Burham's a captain now, because of course she is?

As the credits rolled I found myself not caring to ever fill in the gaps, I don't think I'll ever be re-watching any of this.

I'm done now, I can't even bring myself to hate-watch Discovery. I won't be coming back for season four.

I liked how they established that Burnham was armed with a phaser capable of stunning people and also that she can perform the Vulcan nerve pinch but instead decided to wrestle a guard to the ground and get stabbed in the leg!:lol:

3 minutes ago, JamesC said:

I liked how they established that Burnham was armed with a phaser capable of stunning people and also that she can perform the Vulcan nerve pinch but instead decided to wrestle a guard to the ground and get stabbed in the leg!:lol:

They had to get to Die Hard, one way or another.

2 hours ago, revlob said:

I put the final episode on last night but could barely muster my attention away from my phone, and every time I looked up I was made to regret it.

Hide contents

Burnham was being eaten by a console? The USS Discovery managing to repel close range attacks from a fleet of ships 900 years more advanced for longer than one second? Gray was a hologram? Burham's a captain now, because of course she is?

As the credits rolled I found myself not caring to ever fill in the gaps, I don't think I'll ever be re-watching any of this.

I'm done now, I can't even bring myself to hate-watch Discovery. I won't be coming back for season four.

What I love about this is I have absolutely no idea who Gray is.