Jump to content

Star Trek Discovery - S3 streaming now - Everything Was Burnham


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Nifta said:

I known it's nerdy but it really annoys me that they've jumped forward 900 years and the USS Discovery should be the technological equivalent of a wooden sailing ship yet all of their technology seems quite compatible with the current era (they can repair their technology, they can communicate on video feeds etc). The 'great burn' only happened 100 years ago, so they still had 800 years of normal tech development.. i.e. the year 1220 compared to current technology.

 

 

 

Sorry, nerdy, but it annoys me.

 

No definitely. 

 

It was always a tall order to visualise what tech would be like 800 post TNG and I never had much faith the creative team would be up for it. 

 

So far, it seems in 800 years they invented a portable transporter. In 800 years, post TNG, you'd have guessed you wouldn't need ships anyway and would be able to beam accross the galaxy. 

 

Using the Burn an excuse is lazy. If I jump 800 years into the future and you tell me I can't drive my car anymore since petrol went kaput I'd be wondering why in 800 years they were stil using the same means of propulsion I'd been using in the past. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, by now they should be using the transporter technology to literally cure death - I mean there’s no reason it can’t be done in the TNG or even TOS (Those Old Scientists) era but in nearly a millennium you might have expected someone to realise. There should be Culture-level tech flying about by now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are meant to believe that there was a space faring galactic republic in existence for thousands of years in the Star Wars universe, with little to no change in tech, but then that is set in a galaxy far far away.

 

I would like to think they have an in universe reason for why tech hasn't massively leapt forward in Disco but expect we won't get one. The leap forward in TNG era tech from TOS with Holodecks, replicators etc (and even small leaps by Voyager's time) are realistic feeling, but then we have the Discovery which has tech far beyond what appeared in TOS but is set just before it.

 

Its a mess either way you look at it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jg15 said:

We are meant to believe that there was a space faring galactic republic in existence for thousands of years in the Star Wars universe, with little to no change in tech, but then that is set in a galaxy far far away.

 

I would like to think they have an in universe reason for why tech hasn't massively leapt forward in Disco but expect we won't get one. The leap forward in TNG era tech from TOS with Holodecks, replicators etc (and even small leaps by Voyager's time) are realistic feeling, but then we have the Discovery which has tech far beyond what appeared in TOS but is set just before it.

 

Its a mess either way you look at it!

You have holodecks in TOS, just never see them. They did appear in TAS so existed in that era in canon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Death's Head said:

Yeah, by now they should be using the transporter technology to literally cure death - I mean there’s no reason it can’t be done in the TNG or even TOS (Those Old Scientists) era but in nearly a millennium you might have expected someone to realise. There should be Culture-level tech flying about by now. 

 

Well, Star Trek Picard introduced basically human immortality (which I wasn't thrilled about) and really AI intelligence such as holograms and androids should be massively advanced by 31st century. 

 

Perhaps they'll explain it in an interesting way, although I assume they'll just blame reverting to 'primitive' status on the 'Burn'. 

 

In fairness, crippling the ability to travel at warp speeds and essentially limiting space travel (if this what I have understood correctly) would have some serious repercussions but it is a bit of a leap of faith that by 31st Century they'd still be using warp travel tech anyway. 

 

Compare travel tech today vs the year 1400 should give some indication on how much would have changed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, as I recall the Romulans didn’t use dilithium but instead had a small singularity as their warp engines so there’s no reason everyone else  couldn’t have used that. 

 

Wonder what’s happened with the Dominion. We’ve had Cardassians and Lurians appear so it’d be nice if they touched on that, or at least have a Jem’Hadar show up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, McCoy said:

So far, it seems in 800 years they invented a portable transporter. In 800 years, post TNG, you'd have guessed you wouldn't need ships anyway and would be able to beam accross the galaxy. 


Well, seeing as that was nearly possible in Enterprise and possible to a degree over 60,000 light years on Voyager, you’d think so.

 

They’ve nerfed tech though, blaming The Burn, which they needed to do for Discovery to have any relevance at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway, watched episode 2 and TILLY :wub:.

 

Reno is incredible too, and everyone on the bridge had more importance and personality in this one episode than in the entire previous two series.

 

Saru continues to be great, flossing as he walks, and it felt like Star Trek - not least because the parasitic ice was exactly like the magnetic rocks on Enterprise.

 

Couple of questions as I’ve clearly forgotten - who exploded in engineering (Hazmat guy was clearing it up) and who had Georgiou stepped in?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, deKay said:

Anyway, watched episode 2 and TILLY :wub:.

 

Reno is incredible too, and everyone on the bridge had more importance and personality in this one episode than in the entire previous two series.

 

Saru continues to be great, flossing as he walks, and it felt like Star Trek - not least because the parasitic ice was exactly like the magnetic rocks on Enterprise.

 

Couple of questions as I’ve clearly forgotten - who exploded in engineering (Hazmat guy was clearing it up) and who had Georgiou stepped in?

Spoiler

I’m assuming they’re one and the same person - Leland, the section 31 guy who went bad in S2.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jammy said:
  Hide contents

I’m assuming they’re one and the same person - Leland, the section 31 guy who went bad in S2.

 

 

I thought he was long dead and replaced by the nanobot things?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, deKay said:

 

I thought he was long dead and replaced by the nanobot things?

 

Spoiler

Technically yeah, but it was still his body they were co-opting. Plus, I thought Tilly said “You still have a bit of Leland on your shoes” when Georgiou turned up at the mining station.

 

I just went back to the last few minutes of the S2 finale and that chamber is definitely where Georgiou traps Leland/Control and pulls out the nanobots using magnetic waves or something. It’s definitely a bad sign when none of us can remember, or really care about, a season finale !

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, McCoy said:

 

Compare travel tech today vs the year 1400 should give some indication on how much would have changed. 


They could have an argument against that, compare travel tech in 400AD to 1400AD, they’re pretty much the same only with refinements. 
 

Progress seems to happen in bursts and then things settle down.  Our current travel tech has been stable for at least a century.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DonRumsfeld said:


They could have an argument against that, compare travel tech in 400AD to 1400AD, they’re pretty much the same only with refinements. 
 

Progress seems to happen in bursts and then things settle down.  Our current travel tech has been stable for at least a century.

 

Didn’t Booker mention the ‘slipstream’ in Ep 1 when they were travelling to the space station ? Which is the travel tech Voyager ultimately used to get home I think. So as you both say, a big leap, and then long periods of refinement where that tech becomes cheap enough to be adopted as the norm. Also wondering whether the ‘programmable material’ device they used is a refinement/fleshing out of the magic wand they used in Picard to fix the conduit relay.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jammy said:

Didn’t Booker mention the ‘slipstream’ in Ep 1 when they were travelling to the space station ? Which is the travel tech Voyager ultimately used to get home I think. So as you both say, a big leap, and then long periods of refinement where that tech becomes cheap enough to be adopted as the norm. Also wondering whether the ‘programmable material’ device they used is a refinement/fleshing out of the magic wand they used in Picard to fix the conduit relay.

 

Friend was saying about Picard's magic wand too.  However I don't think the writers are good enough to have even of thought off tying it in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Nifta said:

I known it's nerdy but it really annoys me that they've jumped forward 900 years and the USS Discovery should be the technological equivalent of a wooden sailing ship yet all of their technology seems quite compatible with the current era (they can repair their technology, they can communicate on video feeds etc). The 'great burn' only happened 100 years ago, so they still had 800 years of normal tech development.. i.e. the year 1220 compared to current technology.

 

 

 

Sorry, nerdy, but it annoys me.

 

Everybody knows that all alien computer and communication technology aligned to Earth standards some prior to Independence Day in 1996.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/10/2020 at 14:55, Benny said:

No, I'm sorry PARASITIC ICE?!

 

:lol:

 

You know this is not really beyond the realms of known chemistry? I'd say if given enough of the right substrate some chemist among us could propose how to do it now in a lab.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching this in two parts again. I can't seem to get through an episode before losing interest. Anyway, watched the rest of it today.

 

The ending...

 

Spoiler

When Burnham showed up at the end, saying that she'd arrived... a WHOLE year ago, like she'd not seen them for twenty years. Everyone putting their hands over their mouths, over their chests, saying OMG. It was hilarious. It would've been great if she showed up on screen and was eighty years old or something. But they can't do that. Because they've backed themselves into a corner with this being the Burnham show, instead of the well rounded ensemble show it should be.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: the ending

 

Spoiler

I dunno why the crew were so thrilled that BURNHAM had been getting on fine without them, managing to snag her own ship and even finding time to visit the space hairdresser. Made their sacrifice to come and offer moral support seem so worthwhile!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

You just know the next episode is going to be packed to the rafters with emotional scenes between Burnham and the crew and how hard it was in the last year without them etc etc. Tilly will absolutely be in floods of tears when they meet, despite only having not seen Burnham for just a day from her perspective. Space Hitler will have a scene where she acts stoic but it will be shown to the audience that she is slightly emotional about getting Burnham back. Saru will give up the command chair to Burnham in a scene with music so rousing you know the writers think this is the most epic moment ever filmed.

 

It's going to be horrible.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is, the end of the last episode was:

 

Spoiler

Set up as Burnham searching for the Discovery for ages, in doubtlessly thrilling and very well written episodes. Then we get to the end of the very next episode and... er... she’s found it. If we don’t get flashbacks, that’s just a pointless waste.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

The thing is, the end of the last episode was:

 

  Hide contents

Set up as Burnham searching for the Discovery for ages, in doubtlessly thrilling and very well written episodes. Then we get to the end of the very next episode and... er... she’s found it. If we don’t get flashbacks, that’s just a pointless waste.

 

 

Spoiler

but it does give them license for her to pull  the equivalent of an amazon warehouse full of macguffins throughout the rest of the series.

 

I'm a bit dissappointed they kept the theme music and didn't take the opportunity to use the Buck Rogers theme tune, they could have had a montage of her doing cool future stuff in the background and then the last shot could be her having a group laugh with all her future friends. They have the budget to CGI up a Gary Coleman for this don't they?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, sir podger said:

 

  Hide contents

but it does give them license for her to pull  the equivalent of an amazon warehouse full of macguffins throughout the rest of the series.

 

I'm a bit dissappointed they kept the theme music and didn't take the opportunity to use the Buck Rogers theme tune, they could have had a montage of her doing cool future stuff in the background and then the last shot could be her having a group laugh with all her future friends. They have the budget to CGI up a Gary Coleman for this don't they?

 

 

The theme takes way too long to get going, IMO. The bombastic bit of it is good enough, but see The Umbrella Academy for how Jeff Russo is fully capable of writing an exciting theme tune.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing

Spoiler

in the year between Burnham getting to the future and the Discovery arriving Burnham has amassed a fleet of ships under the banner of the Federation.

 

Because Burnham.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/10/2020 at 15:36, Monkeyboy said:

Watching this in two parts again. I can't seem to get through an episode before losing interest. Anyway, watched the rest of it today.

 

The ending...

 

  Hide contents

When Burnham showed up at the end, saying that she'd arrived... a WHOLE year ago, like she'd not seen them for twenty years. Everyone putting their hands over their mouths, over their chests, saying OMG. It was hilarious. It would've been great if she showed up on screen and was eighty years old or something. But they can't do that. Because they've backed themselves into a corner with this being the Burnham show, instead of the well rounded ensemble show it should be.

 

While I'd prefer it to be an ensemble show, I don't have a huge issue with it largely revolving around one character. If that character was at all well written, interesting, or well cast, rather than the most fucking awful character in the whole show, played by one of the most one dimensional actors I have ever seen. The cast of Hollyoaks look like Oscar nominees compared to her.

 

Not that having it be an ensemble show would save it. Saru aside they're all tedious bores.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Commander Jameson changed the title to Star Trek Discovery - S3 streaming now - Everything Was Burnham

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.