rllmuk
NEG

Sonic Mania

43 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I'm surprised this has got such a glowing reaction, because it marks 10 years of Sega going "remember when Sonic used to be good?"

I guess appealing to nostalgia literally never fails, but that's a shitty state for any series to be in.

Do you like games?

• Upvote 1

He's right, though - the first time Sega implied they were going back to basics with Sonic was more than 10 years ago, when they released this teaser trailer:

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Nick R said:

He's right, though - the first time Sega implied they were going back to basics with Sonic was more than 10 years ago, when they released this teaser trailer:

It's not Sega people are excited about, it's Taxman and Stealth. That's why I asked if he liked games, people know what they're capable of and this is why no one really cares about the other game.

Rubber is right in the sense SEGA don't know what to do with Sonic trailers a lot of the time. The 'back in 1991' line has been used so often as if people would forget every few years it makes my face melt. Mania was a good trailer besides that, but the whole history of the franchise crap really needs to go away, Nintendo don't do that for every new Mario game trailer, do they?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

I'm surprised this has got such a glowing reaction, because it marks 10 years of Sega going "remember when Sonic used to be good?"

I guess appealing to nostalgia literally never fails, but that's a shitty state for any series to be in.

Nyeeh... I know what you mean, the Green Hill nostalgia is a bit much; but this is exciting for the reason that it's a Sonic game that plays like a Sonic game. It's not really nostalgic to say that they've been a bit shit since the Megadrive.

This should have been Sonic 4, ditching the old zones, just new levels. I fear this might end up a bit megamix-ish and it should be so much more.

I'm going to guess 6 zones, 3 old, 3 new. I'd hope for more, obviously.

Knuckles really ought to start in Angel Island, why would he be in Green Hill? Ho hum

Hyper Sonic please. :wub:

I wonder what the special stage will be like, then? It needs to be challenging and exciting, but not too difficult or frustrating.

Specialstages1.png

Sonic 1: boring but functional.

Specialstage1.png

Sonic 2: The most exciting and iconic of the lot. Unfortunately the later stages are filled with obstacles you cannot see until the last second, but it's fairly generous with the rings. It's been copied in lots of newer Sonic games but they just fuck it up every time, making it too long, too slow or too boring.

S3k_specialstage.png

Sonic 3: Probably my favourite of the lot. They have a great learning curve and a decent amount of variety, and the multiple entry points hidden in the regular Zones gave you enough attempts to get good at them.

SCD_special.png

Sonic CD: I still just don't fucking get this, it's awkward to control and far too easy to misjudge a jump.

S3DMDSST.png

Sonic 3D: I actually enjoyed these. The scrolling was a cool effect to see on the Mega Drive, but the stages were a little too easy.

• Upvote 5

I didn't even realise how much jazz jackrabbit ripped off sonic till I saw that special stage. The whole concept is identical.

Though I played jazz first so yeh.

maxresdefault.jpg

3D's Saturn stages are worth mentioning as excellent:

I'd prefer something completely new for Mania, but not terrible as a result. Special Stages should always be a little different, it's what's made them special.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I wonder what the special stage will be like, then? It needs to be challenging and exciting, but not too difficult or frustrating.

Specialstages1.png

Sonic 1: boring but functional.

Aw, I like these. They start off relatively simple but later on you feel like they grow in size and the camera is zoomed in just enough to make you fret about going down a route that goes offscreen and lands you in the goal before you've found the emerald. And there's the great balancing act of manipulating the R and planning where to go once the rotation fucks up your positioning...

I think Sonic 2's incited the most rage, whilst 3's regularly put you in bad situations that you could get out of if you were quick enough. :) 

• Upvote 3

As someone who hasn't cared about Sonic since the excellent Sonic Rush, the reason Mania looks so promising is - as Super Bunnyhop explains so well in that video posted earlier, as well as that Digital Foundry video - there is some real talent attached to it with genuine passion for Sonic. It promises to be a really good game, and it's been awhile since we could say that about a Sonic title.

STC-wise Metallix and Evil Super Sonic stories probably excited me most, I can't remember if I deemed Cybernik cool enough, boring answer is I'd cosplay Sonic and Robotnik (especially Robotnik), really. Evil Super maniacal laughter all day would be welcome too, though.

When I was abroad a few years ago the electronics store had a statue of Sonic, of all things. I took a picture of myself beside it. Life is Sonic wherever I go, awesomeness. <3

Played this yesterday at Summer of Sonic and it's pretty much a success. Anyone wanting a new 2D Sonic game is going to be over the moon with it. Full of really lovely little nice touches too, really feels like an alternate universe take on where Sonic could have gone if 3D hadn't happened.

• Upvote 7

On the special stages, you did miss out the Master System Sonic 1 stages, which were pretty decent:

But I honestly wouldn't mind if they revisit Sonic 3 stages again - they are the only ones that mix dexterity and puzzle solving and it's such solid design.

What I would really like though is that the Chaos Emeralds to be hidden in the actual stages (like Master System Sonic 1 and 2, NGPC Sonic), and have the special stages as a high score mechanic. Getting all the Chaos Emeralds in the Megadrive games has always been a chore.

Also, no Super Sonic rubbish please.

• Upvote 1

The main issue with the Sonic 2 special stages was if you brought Tails with you you had a higher ring target to get *and* had to think 2 seconds ahead so the stupid little bastard didn't get smashed by the bombs you were easily avoiding. It was doable but an immensely frustrating pain until you learned every curve of the tunnels.

• Upvote 1

Just played some Sonic and Knuckles via the PS3 Megadrive Collection, Lava Reef / Hidden Palace / Sky Sanctuary is such a good trio of levels. It reminded me why these games used to be loved so much.

• Upvote 3

I've been listening to some of that Tee Lopes' stuff, they've really chosen the best man for the job. His Studiopolis track for Sonic Mania is pure '90s Sega, it's awesome. I love his re-imagining of Marble Zone too - Sonic by way of Argentinian tango.

• Upvote 3

On 01/08/2016 at 10:48, RubberJohnny said:

Aw, gotta just let that go. I don't see it as appealing to nostalgia, you're suggesting they can do no right. Going back to the essence of Sonic is something the series should never have strayed from. The few dozen levels of the 2D originals don't have to be the entirety of Sonic at its best, there's got to be potential for more stages otherwise videogames might as well stop existing. Nostalgia is reimagining the old levels, making the new ones in the style of the originals is being creative. I hope there's a good amount of new stages because that's all videogames were to me: a stage filled with so much dazzling colours, patterns, gameplay ideas/mechanics that are of such a joyous and surprising level that I can't wait to see what the next one brings. I think the new one they've shown has so many neat ideas it qualifies as doing that. Only disappointment is that's it's not out this Christmas.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 07/08/2016 at 17:11, Down by Law said:

Just played some Sonic and Knuckles via the PS3 Megadrive Collection, Lava Reef / Hidden Palace / Sky Sanctuary is such a good trio of levels. It reminded me why these games used to be loved so much.

Sky Sanctuary isn't exactly a great stage taken on its own (it's basically a stepping stone level, much like Hidden Palace), but it looks lovely and the music is incredible. That's a great selection of stages though; that whole run up to Death Egg Zone in S3&K is perfect.

• Upvote 2

On 21/08/2016 at 23:29, d ebolenk said:

Aw, gotta just let that go. I don't see it as appealing to nostalgia, you're suggesting they can do no right. Going back to the essence of Sonic is something the series should never have strayed from. The few dozen levels of the 2D originals don't have to be the entirety of Sonic at its best, there's got to be potential for more stages otherwise videogames might as well stop existing. Nostalgia is reimagining the old levels, making the new ones in the style of the originals is being creative. I hope there's a good amount of new stages because that's all videogames were to me: a stage filled with so much dazzling colours, patterns, gameplay ideas/mechanics that are of such a joyous and surprising level that I can't wait to see what the next one brings. I think the new one they've shown has so many neat ideas it qualifies as doing that. Only disappointment is that's it's not out this Christmas.

Ah don't just neg, Rubberjohnny, argue otherwise. What's wrong with what Sega are doing here?

• Upvote 3

On 04/09/2016 at 19:07, d ebolenk said:

Ah don't just neg, Rubberjohnny, argue otherwise. What's wrong with what Sega are doing here?

I disagree with your premise, nostalgia isn't just remakes, it's throwbacks in general - hey, maybe they will get it right this time! But it's just weird to see people instantly fall for the same thing over and over again. Not one person considered "hey, didn't we go through this three times before, how'd that work out?" and people got really defensive when someone brought it up. Is this what nostalgia does to people? They've been doing throwbacks for a decade, and most of them have been awful, surely it's time to do something forward looking?

58 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I disagree with your premise, nostalgia isn't just remakes, it's throwbacks in general - hey, maybe they will get it right this time! But it's just weird to see people instantly fall for the same thing over and over again. Not one person considered "hey, didn't we go through this three times before, how'd that work out?" and people got really defensive when someone brought it up. Is this what nostalgia does to people? They've been doing throwbacks for a decade, and most of them have been awful, surely it's time to do something forward looking?

People haven't been through this three times before though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not since Sonic Advance 1 on the GBA that we've actually seen Sonic return to the very mechanics and structure of the Mega Drive games that rocketed him to success in the first place. Even the Advance sequels strayed too far from the formula with scrolling boss battles, a lack of exploration or Metroidvania gimmicks, while Sonic 4 got the physics all wrong, and it was clear to everyone months before release that it wouldn't be a worthy follow up to the original trilogy. God only knows why, but this is the first time since 2001 that Sega actually seem to be giving Mega Drive fans what they want for once. Everything looks and sounds right.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1