Sign in to follow this  
NEG

Sonic Mania

40 minutes ago, Nick R said:

I just watched the trailer and saw this:

crVM93k.png

:slowclap:

Take my money.

I was watching sceptically then when I saw this I actually did a little squeal and clapped. 

18 hours ago, The Buttertendo said:

Advance was fucking shit.

Rush was fucking shit.

Colours was fucking shit.

Reveal hidden contents

Nope.

Also, why no 3DS version? Pixel games look fantastic on Nintendo handhelds imo.

7 hours ago, Paulando said:

The animation is gorgeous, especially the over the top and wholly unnecessary title screen. Love it.

Yup.

Still not convinced on almost anything Sonic related, but it's one of the best title screens I think I've ever seen.

19 hours ago, The Buttertendo said:

Generations was fucking shit.

Advance was fucking shit.

Rush was fucking shit.

4 was really fucking shit.

Heroes was fucking shit.

Colours was fucking shit.

Unleashed was fucking shit.

Shadow was fucking shit.

Boom was fucking shit.

This will be fucking shit.

Reveal hidden contents

It does look quite good though. :unsure: 

I think the Advance Games (especially 2) are the best Sonic games since Sonic 2 and Colours wasn't completely terrible. All the 3D games are a train wreck which the trailer acknowledges by rewinding through them all to get back to the only way Sonic works which is in 2D. I'll probably buy it 2 weeks after release when it will be £20 like all Sonic games.

Rush was great.

I think deKay has a graph for this kind of discussion somewhere...

EDIT:

On 27/05/2010 at 11:13, deKay said:

relative_aceness_of_sonic_games.png

Make of that what you will...

I can only assume those Adventure Aceness scores were given when they were released because those games haven't aged well at all. I had forgotten that Sonic Advance 3 has the best Green Hill Zone like music

The trailer for the gameplay of Mania looks great. I just hope they cut down on the bottomless pits that appear far too often in all of the recent 2D Sonic games.

• Upvote 1

I like how the title screen flaunts the Mode 7 fanciness that the Mega Drive could only dream of achieving back in the day. Poor Sega fans finally manage to get a Yoshi's Island spinning 3D island of their very own.

I also find it amusing how completely everyone has forgotten the existence of Sonic the Hedgehog 4. Not that I can blame anyone.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

This has got to be one of the signs of the apocalypse.

I'm on board. 

Sonic won't be a joke in a couple of years time. Everyone will look forward to what's next. Praising how awesome Sonic & SEGA is in general.

The more Mania (sequels) the better. It selling well will also no doubt mean 3&K done as well.

14 minutes ago, Comrade said:

I like how the title screen flaunts the Mode 7 fanciness that the Mega Drive could only dream of achieving back in the day. Poor Sega fans finally manage to get a Yoshi's Island spinning 3D island of their very own.

By the time Yoshi's Island came out, SEGA fans were playing actual 3D games on their Saturns :P

48 minutes ago, Comrade said:

I also find it amusing how completely everyone has forgotten the existence of Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

Not sure how you've concluded that. It was a terrible game. I hated it. I still remember it. 

This looks completely different.

9 hours ago, Comrade said:

I also find it amusing how completely everyone has forgotten the existence of Sonic the Hedgehog 4. Not that I can blame anyone.

I'm looking at this like they made a proper 2D Sonic for the Saturn or something.

And I remember Sonic 4. It still gives me nightmares.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, deKay said:

I'm looking at this like they made a proper 2D Sonic for the Saturn or something.

I've seen people compare it to more like what a 32X Sonic game would have been like, since some of its graphical elements (the smoother shading style, the more orangey rings, and apparently the flying out of the screen ring loss effect too) are taken from Knuckles Chaotix.

Also, I didn't realise when I first watched the trailer, but the Headcannon company in the credits is Stealth. He made Sonic Project Mettrix, one of the first fangames made using his own engine and level editor (as opposed to being limited to Klick and Play/The Games Factory), worked with Taxman on the Sonic 1 and 2 mobile versions, and generally  knows a lot about the Sonic engines

He's been designing Sonic levels and bosses for years - even if they weren't always the most visually appealing:

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Nope.

Also, why no 3DS version? Pixel games look fantastic on Nintendo handhelds imo.

Yeah the Advance series were pretty good, especially the 2nd one. Sonic Rush was pretty good. The music really helps those games though.

Colours was alright I guess I only played a few levels and got bored of it. The wisps and 2d stages were dodgy, and there was a double jump which is weird for Sonic.

This game looks pretty sweet, the intro animation is fantastic. Good to see a new 2D sonic in the style of the older games. People have been asking for this for like a decade. Though I grew up in master System sonic not mega drive ones, I have played a fair amount of Sonic 1&2 for MD. I actually prefer the SMS versions weirdly enough.

Really hope for a 3DS port so I an play this, even though I'll be getting a ps4 at some point.

8 minutes ago, -Ben.Johnson- said:

Yeah the Advance series were pretty good, especially the 2nd one. Sonic Rush was pretty good. The music really helps those games though.

Colours was alright I guess I only played a few levels and got bored of it. The wisps and 2d stages were dodgy, and there was a double jump which is weird for Sonic.

This game looks pretty sweet, the intro animation is fantastic. Good to see a new 2D sonic in the style of the older games. People have been asking for this for like a decade. Though I grew up in master System sonic not mega drive ones, I have played a fair amount of Sonic 1&2 for MD. I actually prefer the SMS versions weirdly enough.

Really hope for a 3DS port so I an play this, even though I'll be getting a ps4 at some point.

Please play Sonic 3 & Knuckles and tell me what you think. :)

5 minutes ago, NEG said:

Please play Sonic 3 & Knuckles and tell me what you think. :)

I've played a little bit of it, don't think I ever got past the 2nd zone though. I remember alot of Mushroom Hill though and not really any other levels (was the 2nd one an air level?).

I really want to play it, wish it got a release on Android like S2/S1/SCD. I don't really like the level design on Sonic CD, just everything everywhere. Too mayhem.

I really wanna complete Sonic&Knuckles multiplayer, I know Sonic 3&K has all levels from both games though which is pretty cool.

11 minutes ago, NEG said:

3&K is the proper experience/levels in the right order, indeed.

I really don't wanna play that dumb level in Sonic 3 with he floating upside down triangles that zoom left/right tho.

Christian "Taxman" Whitehead on Neogaf:

All the screens and footage of GHZ are from the playable demo, which was just the first act. GHZ Act 1 is probably the tamest classic level of the lot, but I can't say much more than that until Sega reveals more info on the story and stuff in the future.

The reception for Sonic Mania has been pretty wild, and I'm really happy most people seem to dig it. I realise Saturn-esque retro 2D stuff isn't for everyone but this was the most effective way for our indie sized team to develop a good chunk of fun content in the time frame, rather than something like 4 zones with potentially forgettable HD graphics.

P.S. there are some nice CRT filters in addition to those "highest quality, uncompressed pixels" ;)

Basically, as Ive said before - really small development team, short dev cycle, low cost, low risk. Using original pixel art keeps all those costs down.

I think it sounds perfect, and hopefully will deliver the best Sonic game since S&K.

16 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Christian "Taxman" Whitehead on Neogaf:

Basically, as Ive said before - really small development team, short dev cycle, low cost, low risk. Using original pixel art keeps all those costs down.

I think it sounds perfect, and hopefully will deliver the best Sonic game since S&K.

And yet I'd wager it'll sell/review/be acclaimed far better then anything else SEGA has done with Sonic in years. It'll open their eyes and throw them even more money for next time (probably not, this is SEGA).

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Nick R said:

These?

2VFmlGF.png

If so, sounds like you've played bits of both Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles.

In the absence of a re-release, the best way to play it these days is via the Sonic 3 Complete ROM hack.

Why don't I just play s3&k? Isn't that sonic 3 complete (and knuckles)

Sonic 3 complete is every S3&K stage, but without the awkward title and a few other really good additions (you can can choose to have normal shields, for example).