rllmuk
NEG

Sonic Mania

New offscreen video here:

Loads of cool stuff here. Love the 'rings into the screen' effect when you get hit.

Shields from Sonic 3 are back

Lots of different passageways

Green hill zone is drastically different after the opening segment.

it all looks really good. Hope it gets a retail release.

The shields were the worst thing about Sonic 3, as they made the game too easy (littering a lava zone with fire shields? Seriously?). Hopefully there'll be a hard mode or something that strips them out.

Meh. The graphics look nice in places but the sprite scaling looks weird in places. It's nice that it will have decent physics, but even playing the original three Sonic games now is a massive chore. They're overrated games of trial and error where what's most important is holding right and hoping nothing suddenly kills you.

I hope this is good on its own merits, but honestly I wonder if it's going to stand up gameplay wise or just sap money from nostalgic thirty somethings.

• Upvote 7

21 minutes ago, Paulando said:

The shields were the worst thing about Sonic 3, as they made the game too easy (littering a lava zone with fire shields? Seriously?). Hopefully there'll be a hard mode or something that strips them out.

I'd be amazed if they don't have options for turning on/off every element in this, including different run animations, turning off the new drop dash move, power-ups etc. as it's only way to keep all slightly different viewpoints happy.

Also, they did these sort of options in previous Whitehead engine versions.

24 minutes ago, Broker said:

Meh. The graphics look nice in places but the sprite scaling looks weird in places. It's nice that it will have decent physics, but even playing the original three Sonic games now is a massive chore. They're overrated games of trial and error where what's most important is holding right and hoping nothing suddenly kills you.

I hope this is good on its own merits, but honestly I wonder if it's going to stand up gameplay wise or just sap money from nostalgic thirty somethings.

Dark Souls is an overrated game of trial and error where what's most important is holding forward and mashing attack and hoping nothing suddenly kills you.

Of course, it's not, but if that's how you're playing the original Sonic games, you're doing it wrong. They have clearly defined slow, platforming sections and fast running sections full of warnings and safety nets.

• Upvote 8

Just woken back up and still can't believe it.

It's going to be GOTY 2017!

Wait...

PROPER OPEN ZELDA AND PROPER SONIC AND BANJO-THREEIE (yooka-laylee) ALL IN THE SAME YEAR!

OMG!

• Upvote 5

51 minutes ago, Broker said:

In the game play video it showed area's where they've addressed this in the level design, I found it interesting that there were spike pits with springs at the end of them, meaning that if you go really fast you completely overshoot the spikes and land on the spring, thus rewarding you for speed and keeping the flow intact. if the entire game is like that it becomes less about trial and error and learning the traps and more about controlling sonic better for the sake of a more pleasurable play experience.

• Upvote 1

One thing I hope they're doing is Sonic 3 style storytelling. The next act should begin where the previous one left off, the zone music track should change slightly for Act 2, Zone visually changes too. Stuff happens leading into the next zone.

Still great regardless but if they really want to tell us we're looking ahead, they should start where 2D Sonic left off. 

3 hours ago, Dig Dug said:

In the game play video it showed area's where they've addressed this in the level design, I found it interesting that there were spike pits with springs at the end of them, meaning that if you go really fast you completely overshoot the spikes and land on the spring, thus rewarding you for speed and keeping the flow intact. if the entire game is like that it becomes less about trial and error and learning the traps and more about controlling sonic better for the sake of a more pleasurable play experience.

That sounds like a really great idea. 

I've realised what's thrown me about this, there's so much more animation but still retaining the original art style.

24 minutes ago, Paulando said:

The animation is gorgeous, especially the over the top and wholly unnecessary title screen. Love it.

If this spurs a new generation of turbocharged 16-bit era games then I'm all for it. Wonder if they'll finally bring the Mega Drive ports to console.

• Upvote 1

As long as they don't go so far that he ends up looking like this ugly bugger it's all good.

mario.gif

(game looks alright, though the extra animation does make it feel a bit weird to me at the moment. I'll wait until it's actually out before spending much time thinking about it)