NEG

Sonic Mania

7 minutes ago, Blu3Flame said:

CRT filters!? What world have I woken up in where SEGA seem to be doing everything right for a change.

Cos it's not Sega :P

• Upvote 1

On 23 July 2016 at 07:58, Down by Law said:

The first building that Sonic runs past is from Streets of Rage . The truck that teleports you has Hornet High-Class from Daytona. This is going to be a proper love letter to old Sega gamers isn't it? And how good is the animation on Sonic? Genuine excitement for a Sonic game.

Poor guy :(

• Downvote 4

While I loved S3&K, there were two things about it that bugged me. One, the lack of the Sonic theme, replaced with a couple of ditties nowhere near as good; and Two, the new art style for Sonic, never liked it given the original and its sequel nailed that shit first time round. So seeing that they've gone back to that look for him in this, while a little thing, certainly pleases me no end.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, it's like a mix of the three. The whole game looks like 32X version of Sonic, very similar to Knuckles Chaotix in fact, which looked gorgeous but played like absolute guff.

• Upvote 3

3:30 has a Green Hill comparison.

One thing I noticed from a previous video is that when you pick up lost rings: you pick up more than the typical 1, guy lost over a 100 rings at the boss and picked up 1 'larger fat ring' that = 26 rings.

That potentially would make bosses too easy. We'll see.

• Upvote 1

On 26/07/2016 at 21:22, NEG said:

3:30 has a Green Hill comparison.

One thing I noticed from a previous video is that when you pick up lost rings: you pick up more than the typical 1, guy lost over a 100 rings at the boss and picked up 1 'larger fat ring' that = 26 rings.

Nah, having 1 ring or 26 rings are basically the same as long as you can find a way to pick it up when it gets knocked out of you.

• Upvote 2

Actually there's a new power-up monitor that looks like a blue ring instead of the regular yellow ring powerup.  When you get it, the next time you're hit, you spit out 8 giant rings instead of your normal ones.  So lets say you have 24 rings drop when you get hit.. if you had this power up, you'd have 8 giant rings drop instead, but each would be worth about 3 rings instead of 1.

Instead of having to rush to collect the scattered rings, you could use this power up to gain quite a few of them back with ease.  But the powerup only works for 1 hit.

On 29/07/2016 at 00:19, -Ben.Johnson- said:

Nah, having 1 ring or 26 rings are basically the same as long as you can find a way to pick it up when it gets knocked out of you.

I'd argue otherwise. During the learning phase of a boss when the rings pop out of Sonic you generally are able to re-grab 3-5 rings depending on the boss. Repeated mistakes do cost you, and whilst most of the time you'd be able to re-grab the 1 ring that's left, if 'big' rings are, say, 5 or 10, then it makes things a lot easier to endure and learn without losing lives.

If what Bruce says is true then a 1 time save of a lot of rings sounds fair enough to me however. :)

Edit: Is true, can see it in action in the above bunnyhop video.

On 28 July 2016 at 22:18, MW_Jimmy said:

Superbunnyhop really explains why this is a game to be interested in:

The level design in that Sonic Megamix fan game he bangs on about looks shit. And did the originals really have that many framerate issues?

• Upvote 1

Never to a unplayable extent, indeed. Nonetheless CD had enough improvements to be worthy even without the framerate consideration, loading PAST/FUTURE to something barable for sure.

On 7/26/2016 at 22:22, NEG said:

It's okay, the bosses have always been a walk-over. All that matters is how fast you kill them, which was further stressed in NiGHTS.

This has most of the right ingredients to be a classic. Starting a fresh run of S3&K today in light of this news

On 30/07/2016 at 13:04, Paulando said:

The level design in that Sonic Megamix fan game he bangs on about looks shit. And did the originals really have that many framerate issues?

Spot on, I thought the same.

For a 60 frames game, you wouldn't even notice it dropping unless it wasn't severe. Absolute tosh. Was a good watch otherwise though. 

8 hours ago, dataDave said:

It's okay, the bosses have always been a walk-over. All that matters is how fast you kill them, which was further stressed in NiGHTS.

This has most of the right ingredients to be a classic. Starting a fresh run of S3&K today in light of this news

Well I mean, the best games have always had just enough of a learning curve to not be a walk-over in my view. See Sonic Chaos for an actual walk-over bosses for example, the whole game can be done in under 15minutes! Bosses 'too' easy would affect the game.

Mania is looking fine in the boss department, mind.

Mania looks how I remember Sonic 1&2 looking. Which is what you want with HD remakes of old stuff.  If it plays as well it'll be great. 

I'm surprised this has got such a glowing reaction, because it marks 10 years of Sega going "remember when Sonic used to be good?"

I guess appealing to nostalgia literally never fails, but that's a shitty state for any series to be in.

• Downvote 4