IGNORED

Marvel's Luke Cage - Netflix

Goose

One thing it made me curious about is that...

Hammer Tech is actually quite good now? Is that solely because it seems to be making big use of cannibalised Chitari technology, or because someone other than Justin Hammer is now at the reins? Perhaps a bit of both. Of course it could largely be the fault of the awful Iron Man 2 for turning Hammer and his firm into an inept, Poundland Stark Industries for a few easy laughs.

I really, really enjoyed it. A slightly slow start, but I liked where it went and enjoyed all the characters. Music was excellent, and though everyone cheering for Luke didn't really do it for me the whole segment with Method and the radio show and the hoodies was fucking perfect. 

Overall, not as amazing as Jessica Jones, better than Daredevil Season One or the second half of S2 with the ninjas, about the same great quality as the first half of DDS2 with the Punisher.

I thought it had its ups and downs. I liked that it was a smaller threat, and I thought Cottonmouth and Mariah were great bad guys. If the series had been those two outmanoeuvring him using legal niceties and process and suchlike, and Cage being stuck because being invulnerable and strong doesn't help when you're fighting a corrupt system, then I think it would have been stronger.

But once they escalate into 

Spoiler

Diamondback and Judas bullets

then I thought it lost its way. Not help by some terrible over-acting by that guy.

And I thought that, like with Jessica Jones's rape survivor undertones, they simultaneously overplayed and underachieved in their Black Lives Matter content.

But I did enjoy it overall.

I really hate to say that this was a chore to get through which makes me disappointed.  It started with promise but then that second half of the season really dragged out.  There just isn't enough interesting story over 13 episodes. Pace is all over the place and the story just isn't there.

It is saved from having some really great characters and an amazing soundtrack and feel of Harlem.  It just needed a more story to it and a little bit more action.

Two episodes left for me, been enjoying it so far but would put it behind Jessica Jones and Daredevil.

Thought Cottonmouth was excellent and was really gutted when they killed him off and I realised there was so much of the series still to come without him. Was fun seeing Greggs, Burrell and Levy from The Wire show up in it. Like many others I have loved all of the funk/soul/hip hop in the soundtrack. That opening sequence from the fifth episode with Jidenna performing Long Live The Chief was fucking incredible. Re-watched that a few times already:

Totally agree that Cage vs Cottonmouth/Maria was much more interesting than Cage vs Cartoon villain. Doing something bad and then shouting "I'M LUKE CAGE!" is a hilariously shit frame up. Also he is still horribly outmatched even with the Judas bullets, so they've had to have Luke make stupid decisions to keep him as a threat. Luke had him soundly beaten in the theatre and, instead of incapacitating him (he's happily broken arms and legs on random goons already so far) decided to throw him out into the lobby to let him escape. Cottonmouth and Maria using snake-y manoeuvers and targeting the people around Luke to hurt him is infinitely preferable to one of the weaker actors in the series wearing super punchy gloves.  

Still enjoyed it so far though, will finish it off tonight and ramble some more about it I'm sure.

I read the first few Luke Cage comics off the back of this to see how it compared, and have to say that the main villain's printed counterpart is already way smarter than his TV equivalent, as he knows to use poison gas against Luke instead of bullets from the off. Sadly, this plan doesn't quite come off, as he tries to combine it into his gimmick of using throwing knives, and therefore has to deliver the gas using knives instead of something sensible like a grenade.

Also, the first thing Luke Cage does after getting his costume (from a fancy dress shop, of course) is to print up a load of business cards that say "Luke Cage: Hero For Hire". I mean, what kind of idiot offers his services as a hero for free?

Also, Clare is in it and has a massive 'fro.

I only just started watching it. The bad guy reminds me of the evil super boss in Dead Rising 2 but with less flamboyance. First episode, pretty good. I like the main character but I was surprised to see real boobs, real blood and some gory slo-mos in a Marvel thing - I've seen Deadpool but that was all done for humour adult stuff - this is pretty 'adult'. I haven't watched anything Marvel outside the cinema releases. It's promising.

• 2 weeks later...

That is very true. The soundtrack/music from the series is on a Spotify playlist and it's absolutely banging. 

There are some 'little too cheesy' moments, working in Gangstarr lines (episode titles are fun tho), but sometimes they come off. Special guest appearance later in the series is good, as including the general theme of unwarranted police violence against minorities. 

This did many things right: The music was excellent, the cinematography was beautiful, there was a pretty interesting social commentary on modern day black New York / Harlem, and all the actors in it seemed to own their characters.

But the story-telling was poor.  Two out of the three villains weren't very compelling.  And the one villain that was pretty menacing seemed to appear out of nowhere.

That being said, I'm glad I watched it, and I think it has lots of potential for a future season.

I actually loved this, not in spite, but because of its slower pace. However I agree it would've done better if the season was a few episodes shorter, it kind of lost its way towards the end and I struggled to not get distracted while watching.

Generally I prefer it over DD, but would still rate JJ higher. 

Made it through six eps, and gutted that I'm not even half-way. Doing it out of sheer bloody mindedness now. It's not a patch on DD season 2, let alone S1 or JJ. So, so boring. Which surely is the ultimate failing of a bloody superhero show. And if, once I finish this, I never see another sodding picture of Biggy it will be too soon.

I've had the last two episodes to watch for about a week now. Can't seem to bring myself to watch them. Apart from a few highlights, a few moments where Cage isn't moaning about being indestructible and the action and the story sparks into some sort of life, it's been disappointing (unless it does something amazing in the final two episodes). The theme tune is full of swagger, but somehow that hasn't transferred to the show itself.

Finally got round to finishing this. The last two episodes were pretty good, but it took such a long time to get there, I didn't feel all that invested.

Spoiler

I found the odd mid season villain switch from Cottonmouth to Diamondback a bit frustrating as well. They swapped an interesting villain for a less interesting one. For quite some time I've been bored with villains -- such as Diamondback -- who have a personal connection to the lead hero.

The whole thing needed three less episodes. A disappointing should have been better 3/5.

Agree with the general consensus of it overall being very good but missing that 'something' to make it utterly compelling throughout. I like the direction it was heading at the end and would love to see a season two, however next time we'll see Cage will likely be in the Defenders, or bit parting in DD Season 3 given the events in the finale.