EFL Championship 2016/17

Timmo

11 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

neither team deserved to win as neither really ever went for it.

I can't say I agree with this really, but maybe I would say that. We came out of the blocks with a huge amount of attacking intent in the first half an hour and missed two ridiculous chances early on. It was obviously the plan to come out of the blocks strong and get an early goal. We definitely started pushing again towards the end of extra time too, albeit in that knackered 'we've all just played 120 minutes' sort of way.

After that initial blitz Reading adjusted as we also lost a bit of energy and it turned into a familiar scenario where we struggle to break down teams playing conservatively and looking to counter (not a knock, it worked for you against Fulham's similar setup and it's proved over the season to be the most effective way to play against us especially when we can be counted on to miss chances when they do eventually arrive), although we certainly created some good situations even after that that lacked the finish or final ball. For it to be anything worth watching for the neutral it needed one of those early chances to go in and for Reading to have to really attack us, since that didn't happen it was always likely to turn into the tight, cagey affair most would've predicted before kickoff.

Four playoff final defeats is fucking brutal. We've had one and it was one of the shittest days of my life. I suppose I'm curious if it ever gets easier.

13 hours ago, Boothjan said:

He's a top bloke. And Ince was an idiot - self obsessed and after a good first season (when we won the play offs) he was crap and past it.

Id argue first two seasons. He Cameron and Rea were better than they got credit for in the Premier League. 

After relegation the whole club was a mess. 

#TEAMINCE

I'm going to disagree with you on Ince - first season he was great and along with Irwin gave us some much needed experience.  Unfortunately, it was a year too much for both of them in the Premier League (despite Irwin absolutely owning some little upstart called Ronaldo at Molineux on that amazing day...).  Irwin had the common sense to retire, but Ince's influence diminished massively after that first season.  Granted, he made some great challenges that got the crowd off their feet but a lot of those were down to him miscontrolling the ball or giving it away cheaply to start with!  He also messed the club around on more than 1 occasion by dragging out his contract negotiations and was far from dignified when we appointed Mick McCarthy as manager in 2006 rather than him.

No arguments on Colin Cameron and Alex Rae - loved them both but sadly, with that defence behind them there was no hope of us ever staying up.

Yeah, Cameron was amazing. Loved that guy. Such energy and a good ball player. 

Had the knack of getting into the box the box at the right time too. 

With regards to that Premier League season, you're right, the long term injuries to Murray and Lescott fucked up any chance we had, but by the end of the season, we were as good as any team up to mid table. 

Jones did amazing work really with the budget and injuries we had. 

Plus we'll always remember:

Wolves 1 - 0 Manchester United

and

Wolves 4 - 3 Leicester City

Legend. He scored a penalty for us in the 1998 final against Rangers after only a couple of minutes. It ended 2-1, and was the first time I'd seen us win a trophy, after coming so close many, many times. It was our first in 36 years in fact, and we even had a fanzine called Always The Bridesmaid!

I lived in Manchester during the 2003/04 season so watched the Utd game in a pub in Fallowfield (a couple of miles south of the city centre) surrounded by Utd fans.  I was there in my Wolves shirt and got so much patronising shit before the game it was unreal (all well natured I have to add).  They even let me sit in the comfy chair right in front of the big screen.

Then we scored.  Oh my days.  Bedlam.  Then we won.  And the pub emptied pretty bloody quickly, except me, my 2 mates (a Spurs fan and a Blackburn fan) who were pissing themselves laughing and a LOT of equally joyous City fans.

The landlord gave me a pint on the house at full time!

Awesome day.  Shame I couldn't be there but TBH this was the next best thing.

1 minute ago, Boothjan said:

I lived in Manchester during the 2003/04 season so watched the Utd game in a pub in Fallowfield (a couple of miles south of the city centre) surrounded by Utd fans.  I was there in my Wolves shirt and got so much patronising shit before the game it was unreal (all well natured I have to add).  They even let me sit in the comfy chair right in front of the big screen.

Then we scored.  Oh my days.  Bedlam.  Then we won.  And the pub emptied pretty bloody quickly, except me, my 2 mates (a Spurs fan and a Blackburn fan) who were pissing themselves laughing and a LOT of equally joyous City fans.

The landlord gave me a pint on the house at full time!

Awesome day.  Shame I couldn't be there but TBH this was the next best thing.

Haha! That's amazing! I was there in the north bank right behind the goal Miller scored. 

Missed the 2-1 win though. 

My Wife's a Man City fan, so that makes the memory sweeter. 

Beating City 2-1 was great too because of that. 

We always seemed to beat City until they got the mega bucks. 

29 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

I think he left his last job last year, or maybe the year before.

Yeah, his last role was at Berwick Rangers, which he left in 2015. Not sure what he is up to these days.

Could well be a superb appointment.  Jaap Stam and David Wagner hadn't experienced a full season in the Championship before, I don't think Carlos Carvalhal has been there for much longer, it's not like Jokanovic has spent that long in the division either so experience of this mad league really isn't the be all and end all. 

Nuno has a pretty impressive pedigree - is it too much to hope for attractive, attacking football that actually works....?  Over to you, Nuno.  And Mr Mendes, obviously.  We need a revamp of players as well as staff.

So that was the season that was. 90% of my posts in this thread have been me moaning about how shit Ipswich are but, by fluke of being born here, they are my team and I do genuinely love going to watch them. With that in mind, here's the official SuperMBo Top 3 Championship Moments of 2016/2017 (#SMBOT3CM2016/2017)

3, Brett Pitman is the best

I bloody love Brett Pitman. Of course, we're trying to get rid of him because when you're the rip-roaring, goal scoring Super Blues you have no need of your best striker and last year's top goal scorer (stick him in any Championship team that passes the ball and he'll get you 20 goals next season, most of them probably against us as he takes out two season's worth of frustration on our hapless defence). Anyway, Boxing Day 2016 was Fulham at home and we touched the ball about 8 times over 90 minutes so we needed a pick-me-up for our next game at home. Fortunately, it was Bristol City and Pitman scored an 88th minute overhead kick as we annihilated them 2-1. In a season where Tom Lawrence scored absolute worldies every other week it was still the best goal we scored all year. 

2, Realistic mascots

When I was a kid, and then teenager, and then young adult, and then adult, I'm sure that mascots were know-nothing twats and when asked what the score would be, would get over-excited and say "11-0" or something preposterous. Their favourite player would be David Lowe, or Chris Kiwomya, or Darren Bent - basically a striker. Which is fine - they're young and over-excited and its a special day for them so they want Ipswich to score a load of goals. And sure, they should appreciate the quiet majesty of Steve Whitton over Chris Kiwomya, but they've years to get old and bitter about football, let them have their day.

However, increasingly the mascots at Ipswich are old before their time. This season they trudge out - "Hello mascot, who is your favourite Ipswich player?" "Luke Chambers" - LUKE FUCKING CHAMBERS?!?! Is that what we've reduced the children of Ipswich to? All that our mascots can cling to as a favourite player is a limited defender who tries hard and does a good fist pump?  

"Our captain Luke Chambers, a good choice, and what do you think the score will be today?" "I'll take a draw". Its their big day out at Ipswich Town, and they're happy with a photo with Luke Chambers and a draw ... 

And then it happened, at home to Reading - "And what do you think the score will be today?" "I think we're going to lose".

When even your mascot, on their special day, thinks you're going to lose, you know you're shit. 

1, Jonathan Douglas kicks a ball into his face 

On the 1st of October, 2016, at home against Huddersfield, Jonathan Douglas kicked the ball into his own face. Even just thinking about it now has made me laugh out loud. That was the moment I knew I'd renew my season ticket again for next season - you can't put a price on those sorts of memories. 

See you all in next season's Championship thread (Brighton and Huddersfield fans, we'll see you in the season after next's Championship thread - AHA!)

• 2 weeks later...