EFL Championship 2016/17

Timmo

And ... we're safe (surely).

Good win today - all three goals real calamities for the Wigan defence but sod them, we'll take the credit for a high pressing game. We went back to 532, Douglas not even on the bench and we're miraculously better. 

Wolves all but safe now - phew.  

Wigan looking doomed.  Shame.....

Bristol City are in real trouble - absolutely hammered last night as well.  We play them this weekend.  There are a lot of very poor sides in terrible form at the bottom (Blackburn, Forest as well as Brizzle).  If only we'd have beaten those bloody Bluenoses - they'd be in real shit if we had.

Seven wins in eight for Villa now, a clean sheet in every one of those wins (the one goal conceded was away at Huddersfield where we were probably the better team) and if it weren't April then I'd start to believe. Thing is we are just too far off, the horrible run of form in January and February has totally killed us as we are 9 points from the final playoff position with 18 points to play for.  Even if we win every game (which would be almost impossible as our run in would then read 12 wins from 13 games) it only takes us to 75 points and I'm not sure that will be enough to secure a top six finish.   

Predictions for how the season will pan out seem to be getting easier to make, it's really only the final playoff spot and the final relegation place which look like they might change now.  Newcastle and Brighton are nailed on for the automatic spots, Reading, Huddersfield and Leeds have all but secured playoff spots.  Rotherham have already been mathematically relegated and Wigan are almost certainly going with them.   The final two positions which matter?  Fulham vs Sheffield Wednesday on the final day of the season in a winner takes it all clash would be great, they both have similarly difficult run ins so maybe they'll both blow it and Preston will slip in but I can't see it. Sticking with Wednesday as I said they'd go up before the season started.  To go down?  Birmingham.  They've got a gimme against Rotherham which will probably save them but I'm biased so lets hope not.  They've got a couple of huge games coming up against Burton and Bristol City too.  Bristol City to win  on the last day and send the Blues back down to where they belong. :P

Great game today, by far the best game this season. I still expect Newcastle to go up but they looked very average today (which has to be worrying for them as we are not really very good).

Season ticket renewal deadline day for the cheaper rate and they go and pull a performance like this out of the bag! Where's it been all season? I've renewed obviously, as the alternative is talking to my family at the weekend and none of us want that. 

Wolves are now safe after a great win at Elland Road.

But I'm so annoyed Blues beat us a month or two ago - if they hadn't they'd be in serious shit now, with the derby with Villa next up for them.

Meanwhile we've got Blackburn - I wonder how many of our fans would take a defeat to drop Blues firmly in the brown stuff....?

Villa have been on the beach since the Burton game, probably the sort of team everyone with something to play for wants to face right now. Hopefully that won't be the case when we face the shitcunts next weekend, I'd love to see them relegated. Weirdly we have totally missed Zola's reign, Gary Rowett was still in charge when we played them at the Temple of Doom. 

On 17 April 2017 at 17:28, SuperMBo said:

Great game today, by far the best game this season. I still expect Newcastle to go up but they looked very average today (which has to be worrying for them as we are not really very good).

Season ticket renewal deadline day for the cheaper rate and they go and pull a performance like this out of the bag! Where's it been all season? I've renewed obviously, as the alternative is talking to my family at the weekend and none of us want that. 

The spirit of Bobby Robson was with us.

Day of the Triffids!!!

I think I'm going to go to the game - it'll be weird because we're totally safe, and I REALLY want Birmingham to go down but I obvs can't actively want my team to lose!  I've a few mates who are Blackburn fans and although the Venkys are a cancer on the game, I can't bring myself to want Blackburn to go down to L1 as they're a good club - they're just run by utter cunts.

I've got a weird soft spot for Leeds as my daughter was born there, but on a similar note Villa can really fuck Birmingham up this week. Birmingham are one place outside of the relegation zone, two points clear of Blackburn.  Our next two games are Birmingham at home and Blackburn away... :twisted:

2 hours ago, Boothjan said:

We really tried our best to give Blackburn some points yesterday but they didn't seem to want them so had to settle for 0-0.

You won't see a worse game of football than that.

I did wonder if that was actually true, I wonder if the players and management would love to send Blues down from the way we played.

Also, Lambert seems to want Blackburn to stay up.