EFL Championship 2016/17

Timmo

Just now, dr_manhattan^ said:

I feel the same, I can't believe we're found ourselves in this situation.

The whole management team needs to go.

I've stuck up for Lambert up to now because I think the players have thrown him under a bus TBH, but Saturday was on the manager.  A bizarre formation without the players to play it.  Why play with a shape that welcomes attacking from the fullbacks and then play 2 defensive midfielders in the fullback positions?!  I don't like Doherty at all but his main strength is getting forwards.  On the right we could have played Iorfa or played Marshall there instead of Conor Coady who has no attacking outlet whatsoever.

I can understand his reluctance to start Cavaleiro as he's been out a while and needs to be eased back in, but there was absolutely no cohesion in the midfield whatsoever - which isn't helped when you tell Saiss to play 10 yards behind the centre halves, Edwards running around doing utterly nothing exposing Price in the middle, who had an off day and couldn't pass water.  Baffling tactics.

There is absolutely no point in making a change of manager now because no one with an ounce of credibility will take the job with our future so uncertain.  I don't want Rob Edwards anywhere near the dugout.  Staying up is of paramount importance - hopefully we'll be okay with a few more narrow victories but assuming we do that, I want the owners to take immediate action of the backroom staff with the exception of Lambert and Taylor who really need to be given the opportunity to see a PROPER clear out.  Though my patience in those 2 will start to run very thin with any more crap like Saturday being offered up because we WILL lose if we play like that against any other side.

Rob Edwards, Pat Mountain and - crucially - Kevin Thelwell need binning quickly, and TBH I wouldn't be upset if we never saw Ikeme, Doherty, Batth, Stearman, Saville, Coady, Edwards, Henry, Ebanks-Landell, Mason, Lonergan, Gladon or Weimann in a Wolves shirt again.  There's too much shite in the squad and it needs a massive overhaul.

Bloody hell we needed that - so pleased we got the result and it sounded like it was more than deserved - we did everything but score for 80 minutes and it sounded like it was going to be one of those days but fair play to the lads, we kept going and it worked!

Apparently, Cavaleiro was unreal when he came on, and played in the #10 role which helped Costa.  The link up for the winning goal was great with a brilliant finish.

That should hopefully give us a badly needed confidence boost.  

aJuuBOj.jpg

Holy shitballs, we are top of a table! Admittedly the five wins were against the teams who sit 24th, 22nd, 21st, 19th and 9th in the current form table (and the team who are 9th on form now, Bristol City, were in the relegation zone when we beat them) but wins are wins and we've won more games in the past month than we managed in the entirety of last season.  

We had two really poor runs of form this season which means the current good run only really confirms our position in mid table obscurity, 11 points clear of relegation, 11 points outside of the playoffs. Goal difference makes both gaps essentially 12 points and there are only 24 points to play for.  I'd have taken a top half finish at the start of the season, I'd quite like a top ten finish at this point. I'd hope Villa are looking at winning the damn thing next season as this will probably be our first summer of stability since about 2009, there will probably be a bit of transfer activity but the days of ten players leaving and ten signing are over for the foreseeable. Hopefully. 

19 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Fucking awesome result - 6 points from London in a week.  Brilliant.  I didn't see it coming after last Saturday but so so pleased they've turned it around.

Sounds like another good performance - got a verdict for me, @dr_manhattan^

Three away wins in West London this season.  Fulham must hate the sight of us, five wins and one draw from the last six league games, and that draw was from a late late Fulham goal in the 4-4 draw.

Firstly I must say, Fulham look like a great football team, they move the ball quickly and into dangerous areas in the opposition half with ease.  Their movement is wonderful.  We seemed to be setup to handle this, we did very well to stop Fulham from getting in behind us, Batth and Hause had wonderful games, Evans and Edwards did a good job harrying and protecting the back four.  At 0-0 though Fulham could have scored, which would have changed things.

Yesterday was the first time I'd seen Andi Weinmann and Marshal play, and I was more impressed than I expected to be.  Marshal was wonderfully composed when under pressure, always happy to receive the ball, Weinmann too looked composed and happy to play up top on his own.

The real difference however was a fit Cavellero being back, he's a handful on his own but his presence gave Costa loads more space to hurt Fulham, which is where the victory came from.

You can see why we do so much better away from home.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2017 at 12:37, dr_manhattan^ said:

Fulham must hate the sight of us, five wins and one draw from the last six league games, and that draw was from a late late Fulham goal in the 4-4 draw.

Yes.

We do. 

I desperately hope we get promoted. Not for the money, not to be a part of "the conversation" again, not for the increased fanbase or being able to watch us (second last every week admittedly) on Match of the Day. No. 

I hope we get promoted so that even though we'd have to play Manchesters United & City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and the rest, we at least don't have to play fucking Wolves for a year. 

I realise the above may read like a sarcastic attack on Wolves. It's not.

I really hate playing Wolves.

8 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Yes.

We do. 

I desperately hope we get promoted. Not for the money, not to be a part of "the conversation" again, not for the increased fanbase or being able to watch us (second last every week admittedly) on Match of the Day. No. 

I hope we get promoted so that even though we'd have to play Manchesters United & City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and the rest, we at least don't have to play fucking Wolves for a year. 

Hide contents

I realise the above may read like a sarcastic attack on Wolves. It's not.

I really hate playing Wolves.

:) Sorry dude.

You beat us 5-0 in the Premier League though.

That week must have been really frustrating for you, just outside the play offs with Blackburn and Wolves to play in a week, and you come out with one point.

That was my third visit to Craven Cottage, really love it, great away day.  Took my wife (Man City fan) to her first Wolves away game, she had a blast.

Her first Wolves game actually was Wolves 2 - 1 Fulham in the Premier League when Doyle got his first Wolves goal (I think, he definitely scored)

38 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

The game they drubbed us 5-0 ranks as one of the worst performances from a Wolves side I have ever seen.  The players really didn't care that day - it was a disgrace.  Didn't Pobgrebnyak score a hat-trick?

He did yes. It led to the immortal chant "When you've got the pog, when you've got the pog, who needs Zamora, when you've got the pog."

Scored about 2 more goals for us in total. 

This has been on a lamp post outside of a train station in the middle of Birmingham for about six weeks (presumably since the Villa-Ipswich game in February) and it makes me chuckle every time I see it. We play Norwich tomorrow, I wonder if it will still be up on Sunday. 

IMG_0495.jpg

3 hours ago, Nayson said:

Moor Street. It's directly opposite the station by the Pavillions, the bit where the ramps up to the Bull statue are. 

Never noticed it and I use that station every day!!!

4 wins on the spin for Wolves now. We were never really worried about relegation, were we, @dr_manhattan^....?

21 minutes ago, merman said:

Phew, rescued a point against Birmingham. But definitely missed Tom Lawrence.

We were shit and we'll keep being shit until McCarthy leaves. The current bête noir seems to be Evans, but that's bollocks - what the fuck does he care whether the fans call him a wanker, he's not at the game - 99% of them couldn't pick him out of a lineup. There's no conveyor belt of idiot millionaires willing to lose money on us so we just need to accept that he owns the club for the foreseeable. What we don't need to accept is McCarthy's awful management.

He came out this week saying that everyone needs to pull together and then goes and picks Douglas. I can't see any other reason to pick Douglas than his own ego and to put the fans' backs up - Douglas has not been close to the team for months, the fans hate him, he's leaving in the summer, and suddenly he's straight back in, on the week that season ticket renewals are out and there's a lot of bad feeling going around. I'm convinced it was so that, in the event of a win, he could be snide about the fans in the post game conference -"See, I was right all along", because he has got that weird and petty towards the fans this season. We haven't been good this year, but we've been reasonable since being outclassed twice by Lincoln, by playing some sort of 5 3 2 / 3 5 2 (depending on how you want to class it). Today we're playing 433 - which hasn't worked at all for the first half of this season, and most of last. Actually, accordingly to TWTD we played 442 (diamond) but that's an indication of how well it worked - I couldn't even tell what formation we were playing. We were terrible - Bart kept us in it (again) and we scored our equaliser from a cross that went straight in. Otherwise I don't think we had a shot on target. 

Anyway, I'll stop moaning. I think there are a couple of Birmingham fans on here (maybe the Debaser?) - I thought you weren't very good, but we were worse. Zola will be flabbergasted as to how you haven't won - Bart made a couple of very good saves and a couple of regulation (for him) saves. You had the better chances by far but still made things pointlessly difficult for yourselves at times - overplaying it at the back and nearly getting yourselves in trouble etc. Thought your number 2 (I think - the right back) was good. You brought about a thousand fans so fair play - fairly quiet but, like us, you haven't really got a lot to sing about at the moment.

Must win game on Tuesday now against Wigan. 

24 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Never noticed it and I use that station every day!!!

4 wins on the spin for Wolves now. We were never really worried about relegation, were we, @dr_manhattan^....?

Ha!  nah, never ;)

Just goes to show we can be a force with key players fit.

Weinman, Marshall, Costa and Cav are a bit of a handful in this league I think.

Costa's goal today was lovely:

Cheeky bastard!

Villa's epic run of form continues, 18 points from the last 21 available.  Seven games to go, ten points outside of the playoffs, it's too big an ask I think. Even if we win all seven games (which we won't) then it's highly unlikely that none of the teams above us won't go beyond the 75 points which we can theoretically reach. 

Looking good for next season though. Now the ship has finally been steadied  I'd be hugely disappointed if we aren't in the title race in 2017/18. 

I stuck some cash on us going down when Rowett got the sack back in December and it's starting to look like a half decent bet now. We're only 6 points off relegation and I can't see us getting a win from anywhere. What's annoying is I felt the season had some potential but it's turned into a complete shitfest. 

25 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

I stuck some cash on us going down when Rowett got the sack back in December and it's starting to look like a half decent bet now. We're only 6 points off relegation and I can't see us getting a win from anywhere. What's annoying is I felt the season had some potential but it's turned into a complete shitfest. 

I still think you'll be okay, you'll pick up a few more points between now and the end of the season and I can't see all the teams below you going on a mad run of results which would drag you firmly into the mire.  There are some really bad sides down there.

Things would look really bad for you though if we hadn't have given you 3 points at Molineux by not turning up!!