EFL Championship 2016/17

Timmo

Likewise I love Super Mick. 

The last game my grandad ever saw was Wolves 1 - 0 Doncaster. We lifted the football league trophy that day, a sight my grandad had seen three times during his youth in the 50s with the winning goal scored by a player from Wolverhampton (Stearman). I'll always be thankful for that. 

As for our our current bag of cunts, I tend to agree that we will stay up by the skin of our teeth, but we deserve to go down, your point about winnable games coming up would encourage me if we hadn't already lost countless winnable games already this season. 

Not happy, fuck em. 

I really hope we win tonight. Not just because we've got to stop this awful run of defeats and claw our way away from the bottom 3 but some of the OTT reactions from our fans is starting to grate.

I think Lambert will set up to frustrate and out won't be pretty tonight - and we will unleash Cavaleiro and Costa from the start v Rotherham on Saturday. 

2 hours ago, Boothjan said:

I really hope we win tonight. Not just because we've got to stop this awful run of defeats and claw our way away from the bottom 3 but some of the OTT reactions from our fans is starting to grate.

I think Lambert will set up to frustrate and out won't be pretty tonight - and we will unleash Cavaleiro and Costa from the start v Rotherham on Saturday. 

That was shite. You were probably the best of two poor teams; you should have had a penalty in the first half from where I was. In retrospect I think you'll view that as a missed opportunity. 

And home. 

Yeah, that was dire. As far as I can tell we set up to not lose at home to Wolves. Our attacks of note were a series of corners that we had at the start of the second half. In terms of substitutions, we brought on a left back for a centre half, and then with eight minutes to go brought on our £10k wonder buy to lump high balls up to. I don't think McCarthy had a clue what to do today - I haven't bothered looking out for the post game interview, I assume he'll say Wolves are a top side, tough game, both sides had chances, Chambo (or some other idiotic nickname) is top class. 15,000 there today (and they count season ticket holders whether you turn up or not - about 15 empty seats on my row) - unless something amazing happens I think we'll be down to 12,000 gates next year. 

But enough of my moaning. Like I said, I think Wolves should see that as an opportunity missed. Costa didn't start - was that a tactical decision? We made some odd changes in personnel that I can only assume was to contain him and then he didn't come on until about the 75th minute. In general, you had more possession than us and knocked it about quite nicely - not sure if its your natural game or someone had watched VT of the Brentford game but you did the same thing as them of having people on the overlap and also cross field passes as we're very narrow and don't track runs very well. But for all that, you didn't really create enough chances - the free kick that I thought should have been a penalty you put over and that was about it in the first half, second half you had a good run which Bart saved and then another free kick at the death that Bart made a very good save to. Other than dealing with a few corners I don't think your keeper had to make a save. 

Still, on the plus side - we're away for the next two Saturdays and then it's the international break I think!

@SuperMBo We had our 2 most expensive players in our history on the bench (£20m combined for the pair of them) - I can only assume it was with Saturday (at home to Rotherham) in mind.  Helder Costa has played pretty much every game recently so the prospect of him getting kicked around the park when he's looked a bit tired was probably on Lambert's mind.  Cavaleiro has been out for a couple of months anyway so he wouldn't have started regardless but putting Marshall and Weimann on each flank was never going to mean wonderful attacking football.  I reckon Lambert just wanted to stop this awful run of 5 defeats on the spin.

It's actually fairly unusual for us to have more possession - we prefer to play on the counter and soak up pressure so a change in gameplan leads me to believe the main objective was 'don't lose'.  Our fans aren't happy with our approach but they're rarely happy about anything - I can see the logic.

I'm happy with a point and you did warn us that was going to happen!!  But it'll mean fuck all if we can't get a result at the weekend.  And as Rotherham's away record is

Played 18

Won 0

Drawn 1

Lost 17

Scored 12

Conceded 52

I'd be slightly miffed to drop points from that one.  Even though we've got the worst home record in the league so something has to give!!

To add to the tension, my whole family come from Rotherham.  My dad is a Rotherham fan - we just can't lose as I don't particularly want to hibernate until next season as I'm getting Zelda tomorrow and the BF1 DLC comes out next week.

Thanks for the writeup @SuperMBo

I think resting Costa was probably a good idea, hope to see him and Cav start on Saturday.

I long ago gave up the playoffs, but only a month a go I was convinced we'd be finishing above Blues and Villa, looks like we're firmly in our place as fourth from five teams in the West Midlands.  The worst set of West Midlands teams in my lifetime.

6 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Ticket bought in the South Bank for tomorrow.  Molineux will be poisonous unless we get an early goal to settle the nerves.  Shitting it a bit TBH - I'll need several hours in the pub beforehand.  

Wish I was there with you tomorrow. 

Id like to see Price and Sais in midfield with cav Dicko and Costa up front. If we do that I think we'll win. 

Got my tickets for Fulham away though

Must be hard with your Dad a Millers fan.

I remember going to Milmoor in the choke season, we won 3-0 went top of the league and Kennedy scored a worldie.  Great day.

I actually have a good feeling about today, I honestly think we'll win.

You don't chalk up 1 point from 18 without having something about you.

He stabilised us and the players have been pathetic since.

Pearson tore us apart, giving our most important player to Fulham and bringing in several misfits. We were in relegation form when he was fired.

It's been a disastrous season. I'm definitely renewing my season ticket though because ridiculous drama is something I love.

Still fuming with the 'performance' on Saturday.  I have absolutely no idea what tactics we were attempting to play - Romain Saiss was playing as some kind of quarterback role to start with, we had a midfield with zero passing ability, Costa has been a shell of the player we all know he can be since he signed permanently (can't really blame him - he's probably as demoralised as the fans).

We REALLY tried to hard to throw points away but Rotherham were so bad that they couldn't take advantage of our 'hospitality'.

Missed penalty?  Check.

Abysmal passing across our own box which resulted in a guilt-edged 1 on 1?  Check - TWICE

Marking shadows in our own penalty area in the 94th minute gifting them a shot on goal from 4 yards out?  Check.

Absolutely rubbish performance.  I have no idea how we managed to win but if we play like that against any other side in this league, we'll get our arses handed to us.  I hope it's somehow given them some confidence and we can go into our game in hand at Brentford tomorrow night with a bit of wind in our sails, but bloody hell we need to improve rapidly because if we don't, we'll be in League 1.  Unthinkable after the changes in the summer.

I'm really really worried.

Not my observation:

So let's get this right. They sacked Clement because they were getting results but not playing attractive football and they'd rather do that than get promoted.

So they appointed McClaren who may, or may not, have made the football more attractive but definitely helped not get them promoted.

Now they're considering appointing Rowett who was sacked by Birmingham for not playing attractive football and was close to getting them promoted.

This is modern football at its best.

5 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Still fuming with the 'performance' on Saturday.  I have absolutely no idea what tactics we were attempting to play - Romain Saiss was playing as some kind of quarterback role to start with, we had a midfield with zero passing ability, Costa has been a shell of the player we all know he can be since he signed permanently (can't really blame him - he's probably as demoralised as the fans).

We REALLY tried to hard to throw points away but Rotherham were so bad that they couldn't take advantage of our 'hospitality'.

Missed penalty?  Check.

Abysmal passing across our own box which resulted in a guilt-edged 1 on 1?  Check - TWICE

Marking shadows in our own penalty area in the 94th minute gifting them a shot on goal from 4 yards out?  Check.

Absolutely rubbish performance.  I have no idea how we managed to win but if we play like that against any other side in this league, we'll get our arses handed to us.  I hope it's somehow given them some confidence and we can go into our game in hand at Brentford tomorrow night with a bit of wind in our sails, but bloody hell we need to improve rapidly because if we don't, we'll be in League 1.  Unthinkable after the changes in the summer.

I'm really really worried.

I feel the same, I can't believe we're found ourselves in this situation.

The whole management team needs to go.