Pac-Man Championship Edition 2

Really enjoying it so far, new mechanics seem neat and don't change the fundamentals too much. 

The decision to have so many different levels for score attack completely baffles me though. It should just be one map, five minutes, best score wins. 

Read the review in Edge this morning and it sounded like this was doing a lot more of the things that made me like DX far less than the original Championship Edition.

Too much variety kills a lot of score attack games for me.

33 minutes ago, Jolly said:

Read the review in Edge this morning and it sounded like this was doing a lot more of the things that made me like DX far less than the original Championship Edition.

Too much variety kills a lot of score attack games for me.

I'm curious as to what those things are?

Championship Edition is a masterpiece because it adds to a streamlined formula, and drags it into a new century. DX just takes this updated formula and runs with it. I seem to recall there are multiple modes, but I honestly never touched the vast majority of them. I don't even think I bothered unlocking all the maps! Purists will only ever be playing the first map for 5 minutes anyway.

7 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

I'm curious as to what those things are?

Championship Edition is a masterpiece because it adds to a streamlined formula, and drags it into a new century. DX just takes this updated formula and runs with it. I seem to recall there are multiple modes, but I honestly never touched the vast majority of them. I don't even think I bothered unlocking all the maps! Purists will only ever be playing the first map for 5 minutes anyway.

You can now bump into the ghosts to make them mad....they can't eat you. You can now jump too.

It sounds strange and shit, but it's not, it really freshens up Pac-Man yet again, I am smitten with it so far, it's the revolution CE was but this is another great addition to the series.

It's a little different. Bombs make you jump instead of clearing the ghosts, but you jump to the start point rather than just over something. It's like a shortcut to the fruit if time is short. If you bump the ghosts too much they get mad and come after you, and then they can kill you. I like the new additions, as it makes the game more of a companion piece to DX rather than a replacement.

I was a massive fan of the original CE and as much as I think this is a great game I'm finding it really difficult to control on the faster levels and it seems to regularly miss turns.

Agree about the multitude of levels it just seems like overkill. I've played a few of them now but haven't been able to get above a B yet.

1 hour ago, CheekyLee said:

Surprised that this came in at over 2 GB, which will probably take me the rest of my life to download on the night that everyone is getting the new PS4 firmware.

I miss the days when it was possible to play a game on the day you bought it.

What speed internet are you on?   I managed to nab it in 10 minutes or so.

5 hours ago, Sabreman said:

. I like the new additions, as it makes the game more of a companion piece to DX rather than a replacement.

Yeah, I'm kinda glad of this since I only bought DX+ a few days ago and was wondering if it would be immediately obsolete. Nice new mechanics.   I do miss the slow mo though. :)

I really don't like it despite totally loving the first one.

Early days but my impressions are: 

i) it feels more mechanical than the original.  By which I mean Pacman feels more like he's slotting into some perfect machine or flow, than he is battling organic enemy movement.  I feel like there is less push and pull, more like I am waiting to jump in between the right gaps in the action.

ii) it's fakery can be seen.  As soon as you figure out what you need to do, you observe how the game makes you - nearly - get hit by ghosts or make certain turns.  It's like you are following a pre-determined path and that in some cases there are close calls but they were never going to hit in the first place.

iii) Eating ghosts isn't fun.  The mechanic feels detached from the game.  It's more for show than it is a direct response to your play - like triggering a pre-canned finishing move.

Obviously early days, and it sounds as skeezy and brilliant as ever but for me, this hasn't landed like I was craving it would.  Booooooo.

8 hours ago, rafaqat said:

What speed internet are you on?   I managed to nab it in 10 minutes or so.

Generally reasonable at 12 down, this just took way longer than usual. I presumed it was a combination of the PS4 update and the FIFA 17 demo straining the servers.

8 hours ago, Bucky said:

I really don't like it despite totally loving the first one.

Early days but my impressions are: 

i) it feels more mechanical than the original.  By which I mean Pacman feels more like he's slotting into some perfect machine or flow, than he is battling organic enemy movement.  I feel like there is less push and pull, more like I am waiting to jump in between the right gaps in the action.

ii) it's fakery can be seen.  As soon as you figure out what you need to do, you observe how the game makes you - nearly - get hit by ghosts or make certain turns.  It's like you are following a pre-determined path and that in some cases there are close calls but they were never going to hit in the first place.

iii) Eating ghosts isn't fun.  The mechanic feels detached from the game.  It's more for show than it is a direct response to your play - like triggering a pre-canned finishing move.

Obviously early days, and it sounds as skeezy and brilliant as ever but for me, this hasn't landed like I was craving it would.  Booooooo.

Nail heads being hit. There were plenty of times when I missed a turn, looped, held back for a second, and just slotted back in to the obvious route. The the tutorial even said something like "start out heading left" was the early red flag! I know it's early days, I've only played a couple of runs through Championship II so far, but the panic that comes from losing your flow didn't hit. Maybe they've tweaked things so a later map becomes the new de facto?

Considering it's the third go around + won't ever feel as fresh as the first + introducing new mechanics yet again = Peoples willingness to learn will be admittedly low.

It doesn't feel new now, but I appreciate the continuation nonetheless. My biggest problem is the PS4 analogue (slightly regret not picking up the PC version instead), takes more effort for me to be precise once it gets faster versus the first two games with the 360 pad, though it could just be my lack of PS4 pad playing and I'll get better. (I doubt it).

The game, if more things don't unlock in score attack beyond that first screen, actually overall has LESS than DX, I actually enjoyed the 10min modes DX had, which seem to be gone here.

The new mechanics are interesting but are going to take time learning. The fruit being an early availability is the big thing that constantly throws me off as to if I should go early or not, rather they stuck to the 'collect all pallets' formula.

Chasing ghost trains is a little annoying too, there doesn't seem to be a dead cert way of catching them which removes the zen feel of getting good at the modes (unless I'm wrong, maybe I'll know exactly where to catch them as soon as they go blue the more I play, we'll see), jumps are welcome but I still dislike bombs. If bumping is advantagous or not is also confusing, they turn into 1 ghost and then after a while turn back to a train, am I losing score for getting ghosts angry aka turning them into 1?

I'd still recommend CE2 to those that enjoyed DX, but it's indeed another step further from the original CE.

The ghost trains have some method to their madness - but fuck me if it is t frustrating that one go you'll pounce on 2 in a row in 4 seconds, then a minute later you're chasing them around the screen like an ineffective idiot. 

Also it could be called: Pac Man: Don't Make Mistakes for high score - which essentially, unfortunately perhaps, is the essence of the original Pac-Man.

It's a score attack game to pass the time. Bring on Bangio 2 tho pls.

Adventure Mode is tuned far too high on Pro (3 Stars) and yet I've been refusing to move on until I 3 Star the level I'm on. Considering I still haven't unlocked any 10min modes, I imagine doing more of Adventure is what will trigger it.

Definitely grown more fond of the mechanics with further play the past few days, it's just unkind to casual play.