BitterToad

La La Land

39 minutes ago, Treble said:

Fair enough, I'll give it a re-watch and see if my opinions change. 

I dont think it will but will be interesting to see if you do see something different in it.

I just realised my posts came out as quite agresssive too but I didnt mean them too. Apologies if you thought they were.

• Upvote 1

Nah man, it's all good, I like to be challenged on stuff :)

I did actually enjoy the film on a superficial level, by the way - people compare it to The Umbrellas of Cherbourg  but that's a slightly lazy comparison as UoC is like an opera where everything is sung. I actually think LLL is a far more successful and enjoyable piece of musical work than that one.  Not as pretty, not as dramatically satisfying, but more successful in blending great tunes with a grown-up drama.

Very late to the party with this, but I absolutely loved it - my expectations were pretty high, and it exceeded them. The chemistry between a career-best Stone and Gosling at his most likeably laconic was dynamite, the songs were great, the cinematography sumptuous, and the story simple but affecting. At times it felt less like a trad musical and more like a mid-budget dramedy that happened to have some singing and dancing in. It's clear that neither of the leads are seasoned pros in either discipline, but that only added to the appeal for me - the flaws made them feel more human, and their relationship more relatable. And there's something thrilling about watching them perform knowing that; with many of the numbers shot in long, unforgiving takes, it felt a bit like witnessing a daring high-wire act. 

I think it could stand to lose maybe 10 minutes, but I was happy to forgive the few longueurs after such a wonderful final act (which I'm not afraid to admit had me choked up). Everything from Audition onward was immaculately judged. Chazelle seems to have a knack of writing endings that have you leaving the cinema on a high. The infuriatingly talented prick. 

• Upvote 6

This won't make me popular (and I don't agree with every word in it - I don't have much truck with the arguments about white people championing jazz, and I thought both Gosling and Stone did a great job with the acting and the singing/dancing) but the dissatisfaction I felt with the characters' self-obsession rang through for me:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/feb/23/la-la-lands-inevitable-oscars-win-is-a-disaster-for-hollywood-and-for-us

Started watching this earlier, lasted 31 minutes. Found what I watched incredibly smug, when it wasn't meandering.

Will go back to finish it off at some point because I rarely turn a film off and want to tick off the last few Oscar-nominated films but reaction was pretty much the same as to the trailer.

Actually pretty disappointed because I really liked Whiplash.

Crushingly smug and pedestrian, a huge disappointment after Whiplash. Deeply annoying and unlikable characters with zero chemistry and surprisingly limited acting range, even for Ryan Gosling who has added "piano" to his list of props to hide behind. The sooner Hollywood stops congratulating itself for existing the better.

Fantastic soundtrack though.

• Upvote 2

On 8 April 2017 at 00:54, Moz said:

Crushingly smug and pedestrian, a huge disappointment after Whiplash. Deeply annoying and unlikable characters with zero chemistry and surprisingly limited acting range, even for Ryan Gosling who has added "piano" to his list of props to hide behind. The sooner Hollywood stops congratulating itself for existing the better.

Agreed.   Was really looking forward to this but just didn't feel it at all.  

Saw this last night.

For me it lived up to the hype but Gosling's performance did pull it down a bit. The guy has hardly any emotional range and it was really noticeable here

On 2017-4-8 at 00:54, Moz said:

Fantastic soundtrack though.

Oof! Stop making me dislike this movie lol!

Film is great. Looks stunning. But feels like it's missing an emotional beat in the second act connecting the two leads. [/wankhat]  Would have been nice to see them supporting each other through other stuff than their career-aspirations. Would have been nice if this musical had more than one memorable song. Would be nice if the director goes on to make a film that isn't about fucking jazz.

But I still loved it. Parts of it were just masterfully done. A treat, just shy of a classiic for me, but I think it will be regarded as such a future.

On 06/02/2017 at 08:38, Uncle Mike said:

I saw it yesterday. I'd freely admit it was more for my girlfriend than me,  but she was a bit let down also.

I just didn't get the story the film was telling. It was just self-obsessed white people problems: the musical, and I left annoyed with them.

So whilst I like the singing and dancing and clothes and sets and stuff, I didn't rate the story much.

Reveal hidden contents

Like, so they're both struggling poor artists, and get together. Then he puts all his dreams and plans on hold so he can support her both financially and psychologically to get the right exposure to get her break. And then she dumps him to do that, and that's just fine, and he carries on with his dream. Despite that they both supposedly love each other forever.

I've only just watched this last night, but I must say my reading of it, and particularly the ending, is different to yours.

Spoiler

Their separation was not brought about by her "dumping" him as you put it, but by him telling her she'd have to put everything into her career and that there was no time for them. It was pretty clear that he wasn't prepared to even try and make it work.

The flashback ending makes even more sense viewed that way. It's not his recollection and interpretation of events, or a shared one, but hers. We know this because of one key scene which they didn't share together - the husband, child and nanny.

After all, she did manage to follow her dreams and balance a successful career with a committed relationship, and in a relatively short space of time. 

The line that keeps ringing in my ears is "Hollywood worships everything but values nothing"

That criticism could be aimed at Seb who was stuck in the past, not fully able to embrace and enjoy the present. 

• Upvote 1

I still weep that people in this thread said that the musical number at the end should have been cut. It's both the best part and the emotional climax of the entire movie FFS!

• Upvote 4

Yes, I saw this recently and thought it was pretty decent, it’s a nice flick.

I have noticed, however, with something approaching an incandescent rage, that frothy young upstart @Treble is claiming it is a better film than The Umbrellas of Cherbourg!!!

However, that was a year ago, so he has no doubt since reconsidered and made amends for his heinous crime.

I like the bit where Gosling is explaining why he likes jazz. I'm not being snarkey, this isn't a comment on white man explaining black jazz, I just genuinely like it. He says it like he means it. I think what surprised me about the film is that even though Stone and Gosling have great chemistry in Crazy Stupid Love I didn't think in this they connected. Their romance was weak for me. Something about Gosling's character was off, I didn't sense his attachment to Stone's character. 

17 hours ago, ZOK said:

Yes, I saw this recently and thought it was pretty decent, it’s a nice flick.

I have noticed, however, with something approaching an incandescent rage, that frothy young upstart @Treble is claiming it is a better film than The Umbrellas of Cherbourg!!!

However, that was a year ago, so he has no doubt since reconsidered and made amends for his heinous crime.

That's a bit of an over-simplification ;)

I think UoC is really striking and completely unique. It's a very sensuous flick but everything being sung, opera-style, doesn't work for me. LLL is extremely simplistic by comparison, its shots chocolate box pretty but not stunning. However, it's a musical with proper songs that really work.

In all honesty, it's a moot point as I'm not really a fan of either! Just not my jam. UoC is the better film though, yep.

It took me a while to get into this but I was really quite enamoured by it by the end. I liked setting up Gosling as cool and aloof and then putting him in demeaning positions like the pool party band and the Color Me Badd get-up. The lip-biting bit was hilarious.

In general I preferred it when the music was diegetic, apart from the ending. That was just brilliant. 

• Upvote 2