BitterToad

La La Land

Yeah... I really enjoy a good musical, but gotta admit I'm not taken with the song or Ryan's voice. The story the trailer hints at looks like a generic boy meets girl thing, but considering this is from the person who brought us Whiplash I expect it to be more than that.

This is really, really good. I looked up the director earlier to see if I've missed any of his other movies and discovered the dude was born in 1985. Crazy. He also co-wrote Cloverfied Lane.

Very funny in places, Gosling can't really sing for shit but it doesn't matter in the slightest as the songs are very catchy. I genuinely thought it was pretty much flawless from start to finish to the point I'm tempted to see it again while it's still at the cinema and that never happens.

This and Sing Street have ended up being two of my favorite movies of the year.

Edited by TurningMonster
  • Upvote 3

Completely agree and couldn't put it better. Just fantastic from start to finish with great performances.

Gosling is just one of the most effortless actors working today. Reminds me of a young Jeff Bridges in that you never 'see' him acting if that makes sense. 

• Upvote 4

I found this to be a jazz remix of a 1950s Hollywood musical, which, I assume, is what they were going for. Some bits worked for me and others didn't. I didn't think this was a musical in the traditional Hollywood sense, which is what I was expecting going into it.

Visually, there were some nice individual scenes though.

Loved this.

They literally can't dance, the singing is average and it doesn't really have any catchy songs apart from the main romantic theme but it's incredibly well done, looks amazing, effortless performances and really romantic and melancholic.

:wub:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What a steaming pile of brilliant movie this is. I can't remember leaving a cinema so Impressed for years. It was like I was a kid again watching ET or Star Wars for the first time.

If this doesn't clean up at the Oscars I'll eat my tap shoes. And the guy that made it's only 31??

Life affirming.

• Upvote 3

I'm not very good with musicals, the moment they switch from reality to fantasy gives me an involuntarily cringe reflex and the opening number had me gripping the armrests of my cinema seat wondering what I'd let myself in for. But most of this film is really wonderful. It's no Grease of course, or even Once...but Chazelle has done a great job of keeping the genre alive...unfortunately ;)

I really liked it but I didn't like

them using A-Ha or Flock of Seagulls as a punchline of a joke. I Ran and Take on Me are approx 200 times better than any song in the film. Down with music snobbery. 

• Upvote 2

I saw this on Friday and loved it! I've been listening to the soundtrack on repeat all weekend. 

I think even from the trailers I was going to love it though. I don't think it's perfect but it worked! Apparently it was originally supposed to be with Emma Watson and Miles Teller and it just wouldn't have been the same. 

Fucking brilliant. I did not know what to expect of this other than that I loved Whiplash. 100% my tempo.

Also, spoiler thoughts on one scene:

Spoiler

The scene where she has her last audition and is singing here's to you, poets, artists, dreamers and slightly delightfully mad people - I kept thinking about how today with the rise of shitty politics and utter nastiness in the world, we need those artists to capture the imagination of a generation, as facism hates those with individual thoughts and dreams. And it made me well up.

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, Matt Defis said:

I loved Whiplash but I can't get more than 30 mins into it, I just can't stand musicals. 

I would say there's nothing quite so OTT as that opening sequence, which would probably put off a lot of musical haters (me being one of them). At one point, it even seems to turn into a normal movie. At least until the finale. You should give it another go, it's worth sticking with. The final 15 or so minutes is amazing.

• Upvote 1

Watched this about a week ago and I just haven't been able to stop thinking about it. The CD is currently receiving heavy rotation in my car stereo. 

• Upvote 1