System Shock remake

Revival

System Shock is a complete remake of the genre defining classic from 1994, rebuilt from the ground up with the Unity Engine by Knightdive Studios. A Kickstarter project is now live with an estimated delivery of December 2017.

Formats: PC Steam, Xbox One

Kickstarter page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock?ref=nav_search

PC demo: 

http://store.steampowered.com/app/482400/

Avellone is a busy dude!

I have high hopes for this, thus far Night Dive has done very good work with their restoration projects (they were the ones that brought System Shock back from limbo in the first place) and they're working together with Otherside Entertainment (them of Underworld Ascendant fame and the closest we've yet gotten to getting the Looking Glass band back together) on System Shock 3. Looking forward to trying out that demo tomorrow! But I'm looking forward even more to reading what @Wiper and @daveodeth think of the demo.

Ooh, exciting! I'll check out the demo tomorrow, if I get the chance. My impressions may be short if they've successfully made System Shock into a game as calmly terrifying as its sequel, mind ;)

It's a very short demo BUT it gives you just enough to make you very happy indeed. It's a bit high on specs mind you (pushes my 970gtx hard at 3440x1440 but that's untiy for you). Still it really looks very nice (the textures have the same sort of look the original game did, hard to describe but it works). It also has some lovely lighting and feels atmospheric.

So yeah, very system shock. Not bad at all :)

Was pretty stoked until they mentioned Unity; it may be because I'm largely a console gamer, but I hate that engine with the force of a thousand suns. 

But, it's System Shock! Even though I don't currently have a P.C capable of running it, very tempted to pledge for the $150 big box version. Just a shame there's no planned PS4 version. 'Sony didn't send us any dev kits' - fair enough chaps, but did you try...er...asking for some? If Sony's Indie head has any concept of how big this could be, he'd get them over quick sharp. Then again, does XBox still have that draconian indie exclusivity clause? Maybe that's it. 

Played it though twice tonight just to be sure, it's a good remaster. Importantly it feels like the original system shock but without the nightmarish UI. I miss the old soundtrack though, no matter how out of place it was for a supposed horror game. I loved that like i love the dance tunes in System shock 2. It feels right to, character movement feels right, swings are weighty, movement isn't floaty. If the rest of the game is like this it's going to be fucking incredible. I for one am both amazed that in the space of a year there's a UU spiritual successor on the way, a system shock remake and a damn sequel to system shock 2. what damn planet am I on....

Edit: full disclosure, i backed the Kickstarted before I'd even played the demo.

Love the visuals. I'll be honest, I just couldn't bring myself to play the original with its original graphics, but this looks great. Amazing unique sci-fi aesthetic. 

Hopefully it lives up to its reputation. 

Backed as well. I played the demo. I mean, there isn't much to it. A few rooms and an audio log here or there. I guess they need to show people "we have an engine and it works" after the whole "Mighty #9" debacle. I was a massive SS2 fan though. Like top 5 games of all time. I never played the original so glad to see this project!

So, I played the demo and, well, I'm sold. It's faithful to the original game, even down to aesthetic, and yet doesn't look or feel old in any way. It helps that System Shock's design was so good in the first place, of course (if spoiled somewhat by a control system that was beyond clunky), but a large part of it comes from the fact that so many of its innovations are recognisable standards in modern games - first-person gameplay centred on exploring a believable space rather than just shooting or dungeon crawling; the use of the environment and audio logs to tell a story; a cipher of a main character facing up against a defined, charismatic antagonist - it all feels modern, which shows just how forward-thinking System Shock was as a game.

Also, it is a hell of a lot more scary than the original (thanks, modern visuals), but I think I can cope with it. Just. So yes, I've backed the game, and I can't wait to finally experience the original System Shock in an engine and with controls that don't suffer for being designed with early '90s PC gamers in mind.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

This isn't good..

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/2115044?ref=backer_project_update

The team have been put on hiatus and the project is in an undecided position.

In March of 2016, Nightdive Studios released our video of our vision of System Shock Remastered. Done in Unity it was an immediate hit with almost a half million views on YouTube. In June of 2016 we launched a Kickstarter campaign to make the vision into a reality. It was tremendously successful with over 21,000 backers contributing over $1.3 million to the campaign. We put together a development team and began working on the game. But along the way something happened.

Maybe we were too successful. Maybe we lost our focus. The vision began to change. We moved from a Remaster to a completely new game. We shifted engines from Unity to Unreal, a choice that we don’t regret and one that has worked out for us. With the switch we began envisioning doing more, but straying from the core concepts of the original title.

As our concept grew and as our team changed, so did the scope of what we were doing and with that the budget for the game. As the budget grew, we began a long series of conversations with potential publishing partners. The more that we worked on the game, the more that we wanted to do, and the further we got from the original concepts that made System Shock so great.

Ultimately the responsibility for the decisions rests with me. As the CEO and founder of Nightdive Studios, a company that was built on the restoration of the System Shock franchise, I let things get out of control. I can tell you that I did it for all the right reasons, that I was totally committed to making a great game, but it has become clear to me that we took the wrong path, that we turned our backs on the very people who made this possible, our Kickstarter backers.

I have put the team on a hiatus while we reassess our path so that we can return to our vision. We are taking a break, but NOT ending the project. Please accept my personal assurance that we will be back and stronger than ever. System Shock is going to be completed and all of our promises fulfilled. 

So basically they said that all our investors gave us the money to make a specific game to a set of specifications we defined in the pitch. We then decided to change that game and thr tools that we were going to use because it felt right for us to do so. 

Because of these decisions we ran out of money and the whole thing is at risk. Sound to me like some very poor management decisions were made and that they let their hearts rule their heads. 

It might still get made but the fact that at the very least it’s going to be massively delayed means they’ve really shafted those who have backed them with passion. 

This is why I think Kickstarter needs some serious change. I mean, they asked for money to make a System Shock remaster. They got more than they asked and thought "hey, maybe we do have the abilities to create a new game from scratch". Surprise, surprise they didn't.

But that is not the point. Noone paid them for a new game. They paid them for a remaster. Why on earth do you feel you can just get people's money, that were sent for a specfic reason, and decide to do something else? This is such bullshit.

It's one of the reasons why stopped backing games on Kickstarter and the like. Anyone can have a good idea that sounds like the best thing ever. Good luck making it a reality, but I will always await the actual result before spending money on it. Or even getting hyped about it 

1 hour ago, Talk Show Host said:

This is why I think Kickstarter needs some serious change. I mean, they asked for money to make a System Shock remaster. They got more than they asked and thought "hey, maybe we do have the abilities to create a new game from scratch". Surprise, surprise they didn't.

But that is not the point. Noone paid them for a new game. They paid them for a remaster. Why on earth do you feel you can just get people's money, that were sent for a specfic reason, and decide to do something else? This is such bullshit.

What needs to change is the average backer's understanding of what it actually means to back a project. You've said here that people 'paid' for a game, when that's not the case at all. Nobody 'paid' for anything, a bunch of investors saw a pitch and decided to invest in a venture.

The problem is that rarely are the general public equipped to evaluate the risk of investment. When ventures fail, as they can be prone to do, it's not because backers have been 'tricked' into a scheme. There will just not be any return on this investment. I'm not without sympathy for backers, but Nightdive fucked up, not Kickstarter. 

46 minutes ago, AI1 said:

Are there any consequences for not delivering a finished product? If not, surely the whole thing is ripe for scamming people's money.

Read up on Star Citizen for that exact scenario happening - the developers realizing at some point that going the scam route is waaaaaaaaay more profitable than actually delivering the promised product at some point.

With Nightdive it's different, at least they fucked up with the best of intentions.

I love the wording of that update, as though they're scientists in space discovering a new alien life form and through over experimenting it begins metamorphosis and being a little excited they stupidly decide to poke it and it swallows their ship whole. 

'Maybe we lost our focus'. Yeah, either you're committed to a remaster or you're not. Either you appreciate and respect the faith and trust people have put into your project, or you don't.

'it has become clear to me'

'I let things get out of control'. 

'I can tell you that I did it for all the right reasons'

Yeah, it almost reads like one of the logs you'd find in those sorts of games. I bet if you visit their studio now it's all deserted with phrases like 'IT'S NOT OUR FAULT' and 'THE GAME JUST GOT OUT OF CONTROL' written in blood on the walls.

The golden rule of project management apply to game development as much as any other temporary endeavour; The number one cause of delay is change . It seems many Kickstarter and indie projects don’t have any form of project management 

9 hours ago, revlob said:

What needs to change is the average backer's understanding of what it actually means to back a project. You've said here that people 'paid' for a game, when that's not the case at all. Nobody 'paid' for anything, a bunch of investors saw a pitch and decided to invest in a venture.

The problem is that rarely are the general public equipped to evaluate the risk of investment. When ventures fail, as they can be prone to do, it's not because backers have been 'tricked' into a scheme. There will just not be any return on this investment. I'm not without sympathy for backers, but Nightdive fucked up, not Kickstarter. 

I wasn't trying to dish kickstarter. I just meant that, as things have turned out, Kickstarter should protect its product - which is to provide a platform for people to invest their money on a pitch.  In this case the pitch was altered without the consent of the backers. Let me repeat that: it didn't just fail or was too difficult to develop - they decided to make something else instead of a remaster, which is what people paid for. This can easily be considered a frawd.

Imagine if Valve made a kickstarter for Half-Life 3, people paid for it, and then decided to do something else, like a "super new, more advanced FPS".

Having no one to asnwer to about such a change sounds exactly like the spot Kickstarter should be filling up.

• 1 month later...