Keyboard Koala

Paper Mario: Color Splash

On 07/10/2016 at 17:34, shirubagan said:

Had the day off so downloaded this to have a quick play... which lasted almost three hours. The script has genuinely made me laugh out loud a few times and it's gorgeous. The card system is weird and unnecessarily convoluted, however, and makes fights last longer than they should as you spend 10-30 seconds faffing in the menus before each turn. 

I really don't like the new card system, it really kills combat for me. It feels completely unnecessary and shoehorned in. I like how inventive the world is and there's no denying that it's very funny in places, but I like my paper-thin mario games to have decent RPG mechanics and it doesn't deliver there for me.

• Upvote 1

What, wait? Who ordered this copy that just fell through my door? I guess I did after making the mistake of reading this thread yesterday - damn you, RLLMUK, damn you from the bottom of my wallet!!

I'm so glad I bought this.  The experiences on the PlayStation VR can be quite intense and Color Splash (sic) is the ying to VR's yang.

First of all, it's beautiful.  The soundtrack is so relaxing/nostalgic in a Mario Sunshine sort of way and visually.. well the videos posted in this thread say it all.  The dialogue is wonderful and has raised many chuckles up to fighting MORETON(!) today.

The one area that lets this game down is the combat which feels slow and fairly easy (although I stress I only just beat the first boss).  The main challenge of the game appears to be in revisiting areas and finding all of the white paint spots which I'm really enjoying as a way to de-stress.

If you enjoy Nintendo's catalogue from the Gamecube days and fancy a bit of a throwback you should really go all in for this bit of magic.

• Upvote 2

There's not much between the two games. Like the 3ds game I can't decide if it's good or bad. It does so much that is good, such as funny jokes, great graphics, real weight to the paper, but I think it's all offset by an atrocious combat system. 

• Upvote 4

I've just started this, and it's lovely and charming and funny and all the rest of it - but do I really need to fuck around picking a card, then tapping 'ready', then filling it up with paint, then tapping 'done', then swiping it forward, all on the Wii U's shitty, non-finger friendly resistive touchscreen whenever I start a battle?

Fuck sake, Nintendo.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Paulando said:

I've just started this, and it's lovely and charming and funny and all the rest of it - but do I really need to fuck around picking a card, then tapping 'ready', then filling it up with paint, then tapping 'done', then swiping it forward, all on the Wii U's shitty, non-finger friendly resistive touchscreen whenever I start a battle?

Fuck sake, Nintendo.

You can change a setting so you select and paint cards in one step. It is slow, but there are so many options that selecting from a menu would take a while too. Jump attack - proper shoe - single bounce etc. 

My main gripe so far was a couple of insta deaths that came out of nowhere. Other than that, I'm really enjoying this. I got a PSVR on launch day, but have been suffering from (unrelated) intermittent nausea and dizziness for a few days so I'm glad this is here to stop me despairing that I can't play Rez. Don't want to tarnish VR with the memory of feeling sick. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, bobin said:

You can change a setting so you select and paint cards in one step. It is slow, but there are so many options that selecting from a menu would take a while too. Jump attack - proper shoe - single bounce etc. 

My main gripe so far was a couple of insta deaths that came out of nowhere. Other than that, I'm really enjoying this. I got a PSVR on launch day, but have been suffering from (unrelated) intermittent nausea and dizziness for a few days so I'm glad this is here to stop me despairing that I can't play Rez. Don't want to tarnish VR with the memory of feeling sick. 

Great stuff regarding the setting to paint stars in one step!  I'll change that when I next play.

Also, I can't play Rez either on VR.. I tried the demo and was like "no thank you!" 

5edab5e584f93eebf53483edb25919a5.png

Decided to take a punt on this and I'm glad I did. 

Disclosure I enjoyed Sticker Star so the battle system is fine by me, what had me worried was story and script which were terrible in Sticker Star, but here it's rather good, not quite TTYD but still very good, and seeing the Toads being sucked away is quite unnerving. The game looks gorgeous though, this series was born for HD.

• Upvote 2