Keyboard Koala

Paper Mario: Color Splash

Still getting it, I love a bit of Paper Mario, even if none of them have been what I'd have wanted after thousand year door, there's still a brilliant charm to them.

• Upvote 1

This looks wonderful. One of the most pleasant surprises from E3 for me.

9 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Upon its reveal last March, Paper Mario: Color Splash received mostly negative reception from fans of the series, who were critical of the game for seemingly continuing the gameplay style used in Sticker Star, which had a lessened focus on RPG elements, story, and featured no original characters, instead of returning to the gameplay style of the first Paper Mario game and The Thousand-Year Door.

I'm not so sure about this. The Paper Mario games have all sold well over 1 million copies each. They're not niche. A few hundred angry fans can make a big fuss in the youtube comments but they're still a slither of the potential audience.

Look at the obnoxious but incredibly vocal campaign around Fire Emblem Fates, which went on to sell more than any previous game in the series.

Nintendo seems pretty good at ignoring this sort of feedback, if you can call it that, to its credit.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

You reckon? Why?

Well, Sega made a big thing about it with Sonic, but Nintendo - even the Nintendo UK twitter feed - have been referring to it solely without a U.

That card selection for battles looks incredibly time consuming. If you're going to have to do that every turn it's going to get tiring really quickly. Everything else looks really cool though.

Seems alright then :)

IGN – 7.3 / 10
GameSpot – 7 / 10
GamesRadar – 3.5 / 5
Destructoid – 8.5 / 10
Nintendo Life – 8 / 10
Nintendo World Report – 9 / 10
USGamer – 3.5 / 5
Game Informer – 8.5 / 10

Edit:

EDGE – 7 / 10

• Upvote 1

Had the day off so downloaded this to have a quick play... which lasted almost three hours. The script has genuinely made me laugh out loud a few times and it's gorgeous. The card system is weird and unnecessarily convoluted, however, and makes fights last longer than they should as you spend 10-30 seconds faffing in the menus before each turn.