Star Trek Bridge Crew VR

Fury4k

I've noticed that most of the big sites tend to place low priority on VR reviews, with some big titles remaining unreviewed months after release. The lack of reviews right now is probably nothing to worry about, but it's hardly helpful either.

26 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Given the  "big name" reviews of Farpoint and some other VR titles, I don't put any credence in them at all now. They just review them almost completely ignoring the VR aspect. I'd much rather rely on word of mouth, or sites that have a track record of getting VR reviews right.

It's bizarre right? I mean it's the most exciting thing to happen to videogames since videogames and so many people seem reluctant to enjoy them.

37 minutes ago, strider said:

It's bizarre right? I mean it's the most exciting thing to happen to videogames since videogames and so many people seem reluctant to enjoy them.

I would put it down to some of these guys  just feeling jaded by it all, and are being exposed to so much VR, that the VR aspect is melting away and revealing not very good games underneath...

Except. There isn't that much VR around to be jaded by. It's not like we have a release every week. Farpoint was so, so good. But reviewers were insisting on comparing it to mainstream FPS games, I mean Simon Parkins review in the Guardian was ridiculous.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/17/farpoint-review-virtual-reality-game-playstation-aim-controller

And the thing is, it's like everyone that plays it is blown away by it. I  don't understand the phenomenom of reviewers being frequently underwhelmed by VR, whilst at the same time the paying public  absolutely raving.

8 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

I would put it down to some of these guys  just feeling jaded by it all, and are being exposed to so much VR, that the VR aspect is melting away and revealing not very good games underneath...

Except. There isn't that much VR around to be jaded by. It's not like we have a release every week. Farpoint was so, so good. But reviewers were insisting on comparing it to mainstream FPS games, I mean Simon Parkins review in the Guardian was ridiculous.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/17/farpoint-review-virtual-reality-game-playstation-aim-controller

And the thing is, it's like everyone that plays it is blown away by it. I  don't understand the phenomenom of reviewers being frequently underwhelmed by VR, whilst at the same time the paying public  absolutely raving.

Good god...just read that review, talk about missing the point.

One of the things I love about VR is that every time I put that helmet on it feels like the first time.

Yes I try and be critical of the games, I gave Journey a 6 and How We Soar a 5 in gamesTM (I felt it was a poor experience next to Eagle Flight) but I always try to take into account the experience VR offers because it massively adds to many of them. You could never play a FPS the way you can play Farpoint and driving games are so much easier to play when you can actually gauge distance between cars. It's an utter game changer and I'm astonished that so many seem unimpressed by it already.

Sixth Axis gave it 7/10, said it lives on the star trek licence and the fact there isn't much else out for VR, making it an essential purchase. In terms of positives they praised the need for communication and  interaction with other players, the challenge of some of the missions and the feeling of being "in" star trek. For negatives, they said the engineer role is boring and feels detached from things and that missions can feel predictable, and that combat is a bit rubbish.

In terms of length, it's the koboyashi prologue, then five missions of 30 mins each, plus randomly generated stuff in the "ongoing voyages" mode. 

26 minutes ago, strider said:

One of the things I love about VR is that every time I put that helmet on it feels like the first time.

Yes I try and be critical of the games, I gave Journey a 6 and How We Soar a 5 in gamesTM (I felt it was a poor experience next to Eagle Flight) but I always try to take into account the experience VR offers because it massively adds to many of them. You could never play a FPS the way you can play Farpoint and driving games are so much easier to play when you can actually gauge distance between cars. It's an utter game changer and I'm astonished that so many seem unimpressed by it already.

I wish there were more like you. Of course VR shouldn't just allow below par experiences a free pass, if it's a poor game then that needs mentioning. I think where a lot of reviewers seem to miss the mark is not taking into account how much it can elevate an experience and also that you can't alway directly compare things.

Saying Farpont would be dull if it wasn't in VR is irrelevant, because it is in VR and judged on that it has given me the most fun I've had shooting a gun since the old lightgun days or playing some great arcade games with guns in the cabinet. It's visceral, it feels great, it's a superbly satisfying shooting mechanic and the AIM peripheral is lovely to use. And all of these things are simply overlooked in many of the reviews.

Engineer role is far from boring, it's frantic as fuck. Sure, you could leave everything on default settings, and not bother doing any of the repairs, but MY FUCKING CONSOLE IS ON FIRE ENGINEERING, FIX IT.

I would say that anyone trying to do this solo not bother, it's impossible to direct the AI via the captain's commands with any sort of speed, but for group play it's an absolute dream.

Actual goddamned Klingons off the starboard bow!

I really think this will be an absolutely fantastic 4 player game with the right people. I'm opting out as my gaming time is limited and I generally like playing online with friends only which massively limits my player base. Very much looking forward to reading the impressions on here though.

3 hours ago, Mogster said:

I've noticed that most of the big sites tend to place low priority on VR reviews, with some big titles remaining unreviewed months after release. The lack of reviews right now is probably nothing to worry about, but it's hardly helpful either.

Yeah, I think it's quite sad that Edge haven't reviewed Polybius (at least, not that I've seen). They always seemed to champion Jeff Minter back in the day.

So, shall we get a list going of people that are in on this?

PeteBrant

PSN: PeeBee71

Uplay: PeeBee71

(I'm adding uplay as I guess this will be required for any crossplay with PC guys)

13 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Yeah, I think it's quite sad that Edge haven't reviewed Polybius (at least, not that I've seen). They always seemed to champion Jeff Minter back in the day.

Hopefully we get their review next month. Another terrible Farpoint review here http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming/farpoint-review-psvr-playstation-vr-game-aim-controller-a7761711.html

At least he has something good to say about the AIM though. Anyhoo, back to the Star Trek thread, I'm going to need to stay away from this thread aren't I, otherwise I feel £40 slipping away. If I do buy it I will no doubt get it on the Rift as Touch controllers will make for a more robust experience, although I'm slightly torn as I prefer the comfort of the PSVR headset.

1 hour ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Done the first three proper missions. There's definitely some replay value here, as I'd like to go back and redo missions to achieve more objectives. But the game does appear to be very slight on content. Only two main missions left. Also, the graphics are very basic. The bridge itself looks great, but everything else looks really dated. Still, watching Birds of Prey blow up hasn't got old yet. ;)

I think this really will be amazing in four player. I'll be available tomorrow evening for definite. My Uplay id is Cpt_LeChuck 

You can do randomly generated missions as well, though, right?

6 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Yeah, there are those as well. But I'd have liked a meatier campaign. I hope the game does well, because then we can perhaps have DLC with a better story. 

It's quite odd, as this seemed pretty much fully working months ago, and I expected the delay to result in significantly more content (but maybe the added the random battles mode with the delay?)

I bought this on oculus store (I had credit) will it use Uplay if I use it via oculus Home?

If so I am ClipperUK and add me in

I am a star trek nerd who is shit at games :D

EDIT - Oh god I have to install uplay... hohum it'll be worth it to BE a random red shirt!