Star Trek Bridge Crew VR

Fury4k

I don't think there's a thread yet. Which is crazy. @SeanR mentioned it in the PSVR thread and I think it just became my most anticipated VR title so far.

Here's a link to a website:

http://www.startrek.com/article/youre-in-command-with-star-trek-bridge-crew

And here's a video:

So it's a four player co-op game where you play different roles (Captain, Engineering, Tactical,  Helm) on the bridge of a ship. And it's coming out on all the VR platforms. Awesome. 

From the E3 thing with some of the old star trek franchise's actors, it looked like it would work 'better' with the vive in regards to using the control panels too but I'm really trying to prevent myself from getting one just so that my experience on the bridge will be more 'realistic' :P

I'm going to hope that showing this to my mates will make them start saving, I know one of them is going to love it, even if we'd both prefer it to be in the TNG 'universe'.

1 hour ago, b00dles said:

From the E3 thing with some of the old star trek franchise's actors, it looked like it would work 'better' with the vive in regards to using the control panels too but I'm really trying to prevent myself from getting one just so that my experience on the bridge will be more 'realistic' :P

I'm going to hope that showing this to my mates will make them start saving, I know one of them is going to love it, even if we'd both prefer it to be in the TNG 'universe'.

It's designed for motion controls on all formats. That video used Oculus Rifts with the Touch controllers. I think the devs mentioned the possibility about adding other ships and bridges later too, including the possibility of prime universe stuff, but take that with a pinch of salt.

4 minutes ago, Mogster said:

It's designed for motion controls on all formats. That video used Oculus Rifts with the Touch controllers. I think the devs mentioned the possibility about adding other ships and bridges later too, including the possibility of prime universe stuff, but take that with a pinch of salt.

I didn't realise (evidently) that those were the Oculus controllers, I thought it was only the vive that had those individual hand things and Oculus was using the Bone controller. Either way, I get that it's designed for all motion controls but the PSVR only has (as far as I know) the ps motion controllers and holding a remote won't seem as 'natural' as what looked like more finger based manipulation of the control panels but as said, I'm being a bit silly anyway 

I'm sure once I'm raising shields, sending out level 3 probes and engaging warp drives I'm not going to give a monkeys that the 'stick' I'm holding won't be quite the same as the control panel I'm trying to fiddle with :)

4 minutes ago, b00dles said:

I didn't realise (evidently) that those were the Oculus controllers, I thought it was only the vive that had those individual hand things and Oculus was using the Bone controller. Either way, I get that it's designed for all motion controls but the PSVR only has (as far as I know) the ps motion controllers and holding a remote won't seem as 'natural' as what looked like more finger based manipulation of the control panels but as said, I'm being a bit silly anyway 

I'm sure once I'm raising shields, sending out level 3 probes and engaging warp drives I'm not going to give a monkeys that the 'stick' I'm holding won't be quite the same as the control panel I'm trying to fiddle with :)

There is a unique Oculus controller coming, its just not ready for release yet 

The Touch controllers aren't released for the public yet, so only devs (and Star Trek alumni apparently) have access to them. But yeah I'd imagine it will be better on both the Vive and the Rift than PSVR, although It should work just fine on that too mind.

Getting my mates to get a PSVR is far more likely than them buying a gaming PC and an Oculus/ Vive though, and although it sounds almost completely counter-intuitive, being able to have us all sat in the living room like that star trek vid would be preferable than doing it over the net.

Although depending on how involved a sequel or whatever might get (as I understand this is more of an 'experience' than something like 4P Elite) I'm sure I'll join a rllmuk crew along the way :)

You would need to get four PS4s in a room mind, and probably still need an internet connection for them all. Also, weirdly it would probably be more immersive for them not to be in the same room. Assuming it works the same way as BigScreen, you'd hear your friends from their in-game positions using positional audio, and should see their head movement match their actual heads too. If they were in the same room you'd also hear them from wherever they're sat in your actual room, which would be weird.

4 minutes ago, Mogster said:

You would need to get four PS4s in a room mind, and probably still need an internet connection for them all. Also, weirdly it would probably be more immersive for them not to be in the same room. Assuming it works the same way as BigScreen, you'd hear your friends from their in-game positions using positional audio, and should see their head movement match their actual heads too. If they were in the same room you'd also hear them from wherever they're sat in your actual room, which would be weird.

We've already done three PS4s and 40" TVs in one room before so another one without the TV to contend with wouldn't be a problem :P

I see what you mean about the audio too. Either way, convincing them to save up for one will be the tricky bit but  I think this might just sway one of them at least to put it on his Xmas list

The people excited about this game do know about the already available Artemis Bridge Simulator right?

Which is the same idea, just not official Star Trek and not VR (well at least I don't think it is!).

Like so...

And grabbable from here:

http://artemis.eochu.com/

Works across PC and tablets, so it's a bit easier than dragging 4 sets of kit and VR headsets into one place I imagine.

Not knocking the new game of course, looks ace :)

Yeah, it's the first thing I thought when I saw it, but it's the license and the VR that make this exciting. It makes a big difference to be sat on an actual bridge and not just in front of your keyboard.

Yeah I'd heard of that Artemis but as this is about as close to LARP-ing as I'd want to be I'd rather it has the right sound effects etc and if I've got a VR headset on, I don't ever need to actually realise I'm just sat in my living room playing Star Trek with my 36 year old friends :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I didn't realise it was out so soon, but I am!

I can't wait, although I am slightly concerned about how much of it there's going to be. I'm hoping for some kind of random mission generator or something.

12 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I didn't realise it was out so soon, but I am!

I can't wait, although I am slightly concerned about how much of it there's going to be. I'm hoping for some kind of random mission generator or something.

Yeah, that's my concern, too. If it's just a couple of missions I'll be annoyed. 

It's had a few airings on various YouTube channels which I thought were pretty impressive, although they all featured the same couple of missions. I believe the multiplayer is crossplatform too, so both the PC version should be basically the same.

3 minutes ago, jonamok said:

I'm way more concerned about playing such a teamwork-driven game with randoms.

That's why you always want to try and crew up with Captain LeChuck, so he can uphold the Prime Directive before breaking it, vowing to uphold it again, break it by having steamy space sex with a bumpy headed alien, back to upholding it before breaking it and demoting everyone who breaks it. He may then hopefully turn into a giant salamander.