IGNORED

God of War (2018) - Magni-ficent!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laufey

You're right! I could've sworn I had seen Laufey described as the king of the giants and father of Loki elsewhere. Maybe it came from the MCU where you basically have the Night King from Game of Thrones.

I was wondering if the spinny lake bridge thing is the equivalent of the rainbow bridge bifrost in the MCU? I guess so, but no Idris Elba in sight.

16 hours ago, Pob said:

The last Valkyrie is the real end-game boss  in my opinion. An awesome challenge.

I feel like the key to winning is going to be parries, but the shield always feels a little laggy when I hit L1.

• 2 months later...

With all the excitement of the new Ragnarok trailer, I started a new save file for this. I don’t really remember how to play it so am giving NG+ a miss.

It really is brilliant. I’m pretty sure I’m better at it now it’s 60fps, too. Makes the timing on counters way easier. 

I’ve just finished the first Baldur fight and am impressed how good it is, despite all the early tutorial and exposition stuff. Just masterfully done.

• 2 weeks later...

I've forgotten a lot of what happens in this game - I thought you go find Mimir pretty early on and Alfheim is like end game stuff, but the latter is really early on. I do like killing those bloody dark elves.

I'm mainly in it for the story this time around, so bumped it down to easy. Although I did just realise 5 mins ago that I hadn't bought a single skill, so that might be why I was finding the combat a bit of a slog on normal!

It's still a beautiful game but there are bits that looks slightly ropey now - I think there's definitely scope for improvement with Ragnarok.

I do wonder about the story as well - The World Serpent and Thor are meant to kill one another in Ragnarok, so maybe Thor will be too much for even Kratos.

I finally got the platinum! I dropped the difficulty for Sigrun and she still took me about ten attempts. I did have to get back into the flow of the combat though as I hadn't touched it for months. A bit of an anti-climax tbh. I thought giving the helmet to Brok was going to unlock a cutscene, items, a new quest, but nah, you just sell it for some cash.🤷‍♂️

Weirdly I never really clicked with the levelling aspect of the game. It's based on the level of your armour right? It seems kinda unsual. All of those talismans, etc, too. AAA open world games seem to rain these kind of items on your head (like Ghost of Tsushima I played recently) and 90% of it never gets touched. Also, everything I would check out wouldn't compare to what I was already wearing, because what I was wearing was upgraded and the new item was not, but there's no way to know the potential of the new item if upgraded, AFAIK (if you follow)? It was all a bit confusing and I couldn't really be bothered to attempt to max out Kratos and I just blagged my way along. Otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed, 8.5/10.

I really hope revenants aren't in Ragnarok...

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing through this for the first time over the past few weeks. I've just reached the part where you go to Helheim again and I've enjoyed most of it. I've done a reasonable amount of the side mission stuff so maybe I'm a touch over levelled for the story but I'm not sure. The systems around loot and crafting don't seem that great to be honest. Maybe that aspect of the game will click for me at some point but it feels more like a box ticking exercise at the moment.

I'm really enjoying the rest of the game. It definitely helps that I don't bother with many of these epic games anymore but I like messing around in the world and stumbling onto the sidequests and environmental puzzles. Just about every nook and cranny feels like it's been crafted, it's not full of copy and pasted scenarios. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finished this on Wednesday. Really enjoyed it even though the final story boss was a bit of an anti-climax as I had done so much of the side stuff that it wasn't challenging at all. :lol:It was a good spectacle and I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing the game on that point as I did choose to go arseing around Mirgard doing oddjobs for people. 

There wasn't much left to do in the game so I figured I might as well get the Platinum trophy on it so I spent a few hours doing that. Had to drop down the difficulty for the Sigrun fight. I was making reasonable progress in the fight on normal but I wasn't enjoying it at all so said fuck that. 

I don't bother much with big epic games like this so I'm assuming that played a part in me enjoying this as much as I did. I can't compare it with Assassins' Creed or the likes so it all felt fairly fresh. Going to try a few smaller games next or I might just restart Battletoads, keep meaning to get back to that oddity. 

2 hours ago, df0 said:

Do Sony games on PC support mods? I did not hear anything about Horizon mods.

Not officially in terms of things like Steam Workshop, but life finds a way.

I loved GOW '18 on the base PS4, so I'll definitely double dip when it's a bit more affordable just to have a copy that runs on the Steam Deck.

Started playing this last night. Usually these games are not my thing and never played any of the GoW series before so went in completely fresh.

Love the setting and the ancient Norse mythology etc, nice mix of little puzzles, action and a touch of RPG. Really enjoying it so far. Some cheesy lines in it here and there :) Graphics and sound are stunning. Can't believe this is over three years old now! Also Using the axe is strangely gratifying especially playing with headphones on :D

For me playing catch-up on the PS4 games on the PS5 is great so far... The pack of games they provide with the PSN+ sub is great. I was earlier in the month contemplating getting rid of the PS5 but to be honest experiencing this and other PS4 games on the new hardware is great and a great stop gap until the PS5 content stats flowing.

PC owners are in for a treat come January! 

1 minute ago, MattyP said:

Started playing this last night. Usually these games are hot my thing and never played any of the GoW series before so went in completely fresh.

Love the setting and the ancient Norse mythology etc, nice mix of little puzzles, action and a touch of RPG. Really enjoying it so far. Some cheesy lines in it here and there :) Graphics and sound are stunning. Can't believe this is over three years old now!

For me playing catch-up on the PS4 games on the PS5 is great so far... The pack of games they provide with the PSN+ sub is great. 

PC owners are in for a treat come January! 

I think this is next on my list after I finish GoT, really looking forward to it.

15 hours ago, scoobysi said:

I think this is next on my list after I finish GoT, really looking forward to it.

It's great and actually feels next gen :) Lots here to do and side quests etc if you want to do them. Guessing there are lots of hidden bits I've missed too! 

Not really a game completionist so I'm just going to work through the story.... I'm even playing the game through on story mode so combat is somewhat less challenging perhaps but is making the game more fun for me. Nice that the game is really accessible in this respect. 

Whilst playing though this its kind of reminding me a bit of Zelda for some strange reason... the fighting, then quieter puzzley bits oh and the chests! Every time I open one I'm expecting the "chest opening sound" from OOT...  :D

Interesting watch. 

Sometimes we don't realise how much time, passion and effort goes into games... 5 years for this and massive budget.  

Have to say having a great time with this season far - even on story mode sone of the bosses have been a challenge here and there so it doesn't become a walk in the park! Must be insane in God Of War mode!!!!