IGNORED

God of War (2018) - Magni-ficent!

24 minutes ago, Pob said:

Might’ve misunderstood you - all PS4 games will just work unless they’ve had some kind of next-gen makeover in which case it’s up to the developer to try to make it work. 

Ah I see - I confused you with the 60 frames talk. 

So my save won't carry over. Oh well. Won't bother then. 

3 minutes ago, Ry said:

So my save won't carry over. Oh well. Won't bother then. 

It should work I think, make sure it's uploaded to the cloud and I think you'll be able to crack on with it on the PS5 in the boosted BC mode at 60fps as mentioned. Nothing confirmed obviously but based on what we know so far that's how I understand it.

If they release a full next-gen update (all the shinies, etc...) then that will be a developers call to make and work out.

EDIT: It has been confirmed. Sony Santa Monica said you can just carry on your game in a tweet last week and EG did an article on it...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-27-god-of-war-on-ps5-runs-at-up-to-60fps-and-progress-carries-over-from-ps4

2 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

It should work I think, make sure it's uploaded to the cloud and I think you'll be able to crack on with it on the PS5 in the boosted BC mode at 60fps as mentioned. Nothing confirmed obviously but based on what we know so far that's how I understand it.

If they release a full next-gen update (all the shinies, etc...) then that will be a developers call to make and work out.

Not sure if the save is uploaded. Don't have a PS4 anymore. 

Just need to wait and see. 

2 minutes ago, Ry said:

Not sure if the save is uploaded. Don't have a PS5 anymore. 

There is an auto-upload setting which (I think?) is default on so you may have pinged it up there without realising :) You'll be able to check that on the PS5 I expect. Plus if you have PS+ you can just fire up GoW and see in game for free anyway.

In case you missed my edit of the other post, it has been confirmed saves carry over.

Just now, Uncle Mike said:

Not sure how you were expecting a save that apparently doesn't exist to carry over.

I wasn't sure if PS4 automatically saved everything to the cloud. Like on xbox. 

I'm having a right good time with the post-story game, taking out Valkyrie and nudging up my level to allow me to do better in the challenge realms. Combine that with a relaxing paddle around the Lake of Nine mopping up collectibles and practising techniques on lower-level enemies, and my regard for the game is being pushed higher and higher.

I've done five Valkyrie so far and although the fights are tough I've not become stuck to anywhere near Sekiro levels yet. They are great bosses, though. Really satisfying to learn and counter their moves, and they force you to think about your build.

I love Niflheim too but I think it'll be the ultimate challenge. I've only ever beaten the second fight once (and then died to circular saws before I got out), let alone even reached the valkyrie or got to the harder arenas.

1 hour ago, Pob said:

I love Niflheim too but I think it'll be the ultimate challenge. I've only ever beaten the second fight once (and then died to circular saws before I got out), let alone even reached the valkyrie or got to the harder arenas.

Vaguely remember circumventing the fights and running straight to the Valkyrie to get that done, albeit I was on a lower difficulty setting. Completed the game on normal but dropped down to easy as grinding Niflheim looked like it would take too long.

Good approach I read for the maze is to think of it like a baseball field's diamond, with the Valkyrie left of 'third base'. There's also a hefty battle to the right of 'first base'. Reaching and defeating enemies positioned at 'second base' will yield the best individual rewards if you just stick to the main path, although running the bases, with the optional battles adjacent to first and third base, can obviously net huge rewards. Again though, on normal I only ever reached first or third before scurrying back to bank whatever I earned.

Other tip, although you may already have realised, don't bother running back to Sindri to give him mist echoes, just head up to the central workshop from the first battle area (where the chests and coffins are) and your mist bar will reset. It's a tad quicker way to reset the maze than returning to Sindri.

Also focus on getting the mist armour and mods that let you stay in there longer first of all. By the end I was able to do a full circuit of all zones and all chests in one loop and cash in something like 8-10k per run which makes buying the other stuff and clearing the vault much easier.

1 hour ago, Pob said:

Yep, get the mist armour as FiveFootNinja says, it makes a good bit easier. Niflheim is very intimidating to start, but once you learn how to get through things quickly, it becomes a lot easier and you start doing runs for fun. The timer aspect is brilliant, especially for the Valkyrie fight there. It forces you to really unleash everything in your power quickly to dispatch her. Extremely satisfying. 

I seem to remember bumping up my luck stats to do better in Niflheim as well, can't remember why exactly, but I do remember it paying off. 

BUT the real ultimate challenge is 

Spoiler

The last Valkyrie. I played the rest of the game on normal but had to drop it down to beat her. So hard. 

Oh I'm doing it for fun, that's for sure. I can't get back into the brawl quick enough once I've dumped my loot!

I understand the maze (in theory), I just immediately get my arse kicked by a bunch of gold wulvers and vikens (or something equally cunty) as soon as that second fight kicks off, and end up scrabbling for the exit like a Crystal Maze contestant.

I've got an axe pommel and talisman that helps me survive longer in the mist but the actual armour is a way off yet.

That's something I hadn't considered actually - you can just run past the fight arenas if you don't want the loot, can't you?

Oh, and my new favourite move is the one that recalls the axe to your hand with a massive slam attack. It was basically the last move I unlocked and it's turned out to be one of the best. Absolutely invaluable for those valkyrie that can be knocked out of the air with an axe throw.

3 hours ago, Pob said:

That's something I hadn't considered actually - you can just run past the fight arenas if you don't want the loot, can't you?

Almost certain you can because I remember luring Wulvers onto the spinning blades when my health got low. They got wrecked.

I went back to Muspelheim and Niflheim yesterday with some better stats and made great progress. Absolutely smashed the 'survive 5 mins' challenge and got as far as the 'kill 100 enemies' one. That is going to take some time! I loved the one where you have to kill enemies when they are in the moving circle. There are some really inventive challenged that force you to explore different techniques.

I've got the hang of Niflheim as well - mainly by discovering I had access to that absolute treasure trove of goodies in the middle of the map. I totally missed that before :facepalm:. I now have all the Niflheim armour, an axe pommel, talisman and load of enchantments to help me survive. I can get pretty deep in now, though Wulvers still make me run away!

Next up is to attempt the Niflheim valkyrie and then the realm tears in the centre of the map.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about a quarter of the way through.  Getting to the end of The Light of Alfheim (yes I had to check a walk-through on a bit I got stuck on!)

I'm getting a better idea of the different moves but I still think the game has waaaaaaaay too many options for customising your character, axe, shield, armour etc etc. Add in Runes and lots of different combat move button combos and it just feels too much.   I feel like I've barely scratched what the game has to offer and I'll likely miss huge chunks of what I can do.

Any tips appreciated.

FIght against Svartalqfurr was fun.  Took a good few tries

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/11/2020 at 21:29, rafaqat said:

I'm about a quarter of the way through.  Getting to the end of The Light of Alfheim (yes I had to check a walk-through on a bit I got stuck on!)

I'm getting a better idea of the different moves but I still think the game has waaaaaaaay too many options for customising your character, axe, shield, armour etc etc. Add in Runes and lots of different combat move button combos and it just feels too much.   I feel like I've barely scratched what the game has to offer and I'll likely miss huge chunks of what I can do.

Any tips appreciated.

FIght against Svartalqfurr was fun.  Took a good few tries

The upgrades are pretty versatile in terms of adapting upgrades to suit your preferred style. Check what each custom item is offering, because some stack and give a greater benefit if paired with other items.

Spend a bit of time looking at the upgrade tree and just pick a few choice moves that match how you most regularly deploy Kratos. Again, the stats here vary, don't want to spoil anything but some of the moves you can do with summoning vary wildly in terms of effectiveness.

A big shame, perhaps one of the few disappointments with the game, is not being able to save multiple builds as a few moves are really powerful but can't be used in tandem. That would be on my wishlist for the next game. And perhaps a slightly better onboarding for the customisation because it is initially a bit bewildering.

On 02/12/2020 at 13:15, Captain Novaforce said:

Just completed this, what a game! One benefit of covid has been time to catch up on all the awesome games from the previous generation. 

Killed two Valkyries, think I'll leave it there! Now I'm ready for RAGNAROK!

If you've downed two... I'd say have a crack at a few more, even if you drop the difficulty. The Valkyrie 'mission' is such an enjoyable, rewarding path to follow. And the satisfaction of beating them all is one of my favourite experiences of this generation.

• 1 month later...

Me too.

One thing I realised is that you can't check for updates via the game icon from the PS5 library screen (or at least I couldn't figure out how).

I had to start GOW and then close it so it would show up in my recent games on the home screen, I could then check for updates from there (using the button with three horizontal lines on the controller)

I barely scarped the surface of this when I had it. I downloaded it again when I got the Ps5. It looks really lean now running at 60mand i calibrated my HDR a bit better. I just wish there was a set way to calibrate HDR. 

Damn the music good isn’t it.

2 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Just press the options button on the icon! 

I'm not 100% daft - I tried that, it brings up a list but "check for updates" isn't one of the choices.

This is when I'm in the "installed" section of the game library by the way.