IGNORED

Days Gone - Sons of Anarchy x Last of Us

Jamie John

The best thing to do with those looping bikers is to try to get them with a remote charge of some sort. I don't think you unlock them till quite late on, though, annoyingly. It's so satisfying getting one and watching them fly.

If there's one thing this game needed more of it's proper Road Rash-style bike chases with melee weapons. The bike chases are way too scripted - there could've been loads of emergent fun.

We're doing some major home improvement at the moment and I only have my Switch to play on. Neither telly is accessible right now. I'm tying to wring fun out of that Nintendo apparatus best I can, but all I can think about is going back to Days Gone :(

On 05/07/2021 at 17:32, Pob said:

The combat in both TLOU2 and this are both excellent and provide a similar kind of scrappy and violent experience.

The big difference, though, is that in TLOU you are always, by design, very low on ammo. Even if you happen to be quite flush, you don't want to spunk it all away because the game doles out just enough supplies to keep you going.

Days Gone, however, is open-world, which means the player can plan. This means that, throughout the game, you get times when you're properly tooled up and can Rambo your way through zombies, and there are times when you're caught out and need to make each shot count. And the great thing is, those scenarios are player-driven.

So although TLOU2 is mechanically superior, and definitely has way better AI, I do think that the range of encounters the open world provides gives Days Gone more variety. Plus there are more different weapon and enemy types in Days Gone.

I personally prefer the combat (and storytelling and presentation) of TLoU2 and you've partly explained why. It's a much tighter game mechanically. It's more fluid and visceral, you have a larger toolset and the enemies aren't braindead, leading to much more interesting cat and mouse encounters. Also, I prefer tight level design - which TLoU2 definitely has - to open worlds. Something like Hillcrest is such a tremendous combat sandbox that really keeps you on your toes the whole time. Or the flooded mall, which has so many routes you can take, including diving underwater when the going gets tough.
I think TLoU2 is the cream of the crop when it comes to Sony's AAA behemoths. I'd also put Horizon over Days Gone when it comes to combat (and story). The machine combat on higher dificulties in that game is exhilirating, matching Bloodborne for me at times.

While it didn't do much for me, I'm glad Days Gone struck a chord with so many players. I'm curious to see what Bend does next.

Something weird is happening with this game. I'm actually looking forward to and am invested in cut scenes. 

It's not the best story in a videogame ever, not even close, but the more time you spend with the characters, the better the writing seems to get. I'm grabbing a beer instead of grabbing my phone when they pop up. 

Game still feels really good too. Bike is getting pimped out, got myself an LMG and even ticked off a couple of hordes. Just riding in to the mountains, pulling over and sniping a few freakers is incredibly satisfying. 

2 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Something weird is happening with this game. I'm actually looking forward to and am invested in cut scenes. 

It's not the best story in a videogame ever, not even close, but the more time you spend with the characters, the better the writing seems to get. I'm grabbing a beer instead of grabbing my phone when they pop up. 

Game still feels really good too. Bike is getting pimped out, got myself an LMG and even ticked off a couple of hordes. Just riding in to the mountains, pulling over and sniping a few freakers is incredibly satisfying. 

That's cause its great. 

Just reached a certain point of no return and have opened up a whole load of map that I didn't realise was part of the game. Holy shit, there is a lot of game left. Not complaining, still utterly compelling stuff just hope it doesn't outstay its welcome. Considering I didn't actually manage to get to trust level 3 on any of the Northern camps just by doing the story and 'checklist' stuff, I'm assuming there are better weapons still to get now that I can't access the other camps.

I only have 2 minor bugbears now about 20 hours in.

1. I can't increase the difficulty and now it's a bit of a cakewalk with very little threat from anywhere and I'm drowning in resources. The game probably warned me I couldn't change it but I stuck it on Normal when I started it last year probably not expecting to finish it. Compared to something like The Witcher 3 where you can ramp it right up as you level up and the environment stays threatening, its a real shame. Clearing out enemy camps could become a real chore if its just a duck shoot.

2. The pointless amount of XP you get from turning in bounties and animal skins. Turning in a few hundred after a few days and barely making a dent is a bit of a downer. Its a good job the world traversal is still pure joy.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

A real surprise is how much the story continues after the credits have rolled. Particularly a mission that popped up randomly about an hour after I finished that turned everything I thought I knew how the game finished completely on its head.

That bit set it up so nicely for a sequel too. I'm gutted that they're not gonna get to make it as I think with all that they'd learned in the creation of this game it could have been spectacular on PS5.

As predicted I gave up on this after 10 hours or so. It's not a bad game by any means and the environment and core gameplay mechanics are great. But I had zero enthusiasm for the story (maybe the g-men and helicopters stuff was going somewhere, but it was going there very slowly). I didn't find any interesting side quests. The customisation options for the bike wasn't interesting enough to make up for the fact you're using the same vehicle all the time. Mostly, the main character just pissed me off. So grumpy all the time, and then violent ranting whenever something he doesn't like comes on the radio.

All pretty personal reasons for not liking it I guess and I know a lot of people love it. 

7 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

As predicted I gave up on this after 10 hours or so. It's not a bad game by any means and the environment and core gameplay mechanics are great. But I had zero enthusiasm for the story (maybe the g-men and helicopters stuff was going somewhere, but it was going there very slowly). I didn't find any interesting side quests. The customisation options for the bike wasn't interesting enough to make up for the fact you're using the same vehicle all the time. Mostly, the main character just pissed me off. So grumpy all the time, and then violent ranting whenever something he doesn't like comes on the radio.

All pretty personal reasons for not liking it I guess and I know a lot of people love it. 

I was very close to giving up on it to about that stage too (I did have a few months break to play other stuff) and 10 hours of mediocre gameplay and story before you get to the good stuff is pretty indefensible. However the uptick in quality is really quite something once you go through that. 

It's not flawless, you're right about the boring bike upgrades, the horde stuff comes way too late and the lack of difficulty options later in the game was disappointing. Oh and yeah, most people do stay pretty grumpy throughout but you know, end of the world and all that but compared to the nihilistic brutality of LoU2, it's practically Sackboy levels of joy. 

5 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Seriously - give it another few hours and the moment to moment gameplay starts to shine through. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Unofficial Who said:

Sony sounds like a delight.

I think this raises an interesting question of what defines success. At a very basic revenue level it’s natural for Sony to be happier with Ghost’s eight million sales vs Day’s Gone’s eight million.

At least half of Ghost’s sales were at its release price and it hasn’t even been discounted that heavily 18 months after release. By contrast Days Gone had massive price cuts soon after release and within eight months was on sale for £15, which is the price I picked it up at. 

I would think the other big thing that did for Days Gone from a Sony POV was that it had serious performance issues at launch. The version I played months later played fine after heavy patching but that kind of messiness is very unusual for the premium brand Sony has cultivated for its first party - virtually all their other big games launch ready to go. 

In that context I can see why Days Gone 2 wasn’t instantly greenlighted, although eight million sales is nothing to sneeze it and I wonder if the IP might be revived later this gen as a result of the more favourable following its fostered through the swankier PS5 version. 

When Days Gone launched, it was quite the technical mess. It reviewed pretty poorly (whether that's "fair" or not is obviously up for debate.) Its main USP of the Hordes was something you could pretty much ignore for almost the entire game and would only really discover in the post-game clean up. Your character was quite "problematic" I think the word is - pretty OK with slaving, pro NRA, a biker gang dude that would have had some awkward positions on stuff. From the headlines the two guys that left seem intent on getting, you'd think everyone got fired and laid off and the studio shuttered. As it was, they just had their pitch for a direct sequel rejected and asked to make something new. Big wow. Don't we all want fewer sequels and more original works? Even if it had been in the works, I reckon as soon as the Proud Boys started counter-protesting BLM demonstrations it was done for anyway. Who wants to cosplay as that.

Lol Days Gone is one of my faves and that is despite all the Days Of Anarchy  Blokey Bikernerd cringe. Main character is also a dull looking white man so can see why Sony wouldn’t want him on the side of their PS5 packaging as their flagship mascot. Maybe the franchise can be the world they created with a whole new cast.

It's probably a combination of things. Critical reception being a major one as mentioned before. Also, you can't just compare Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima without knowing budgets, development time etc. Days Gone was discounted heavily pretty early on and came out in April 2019 compared to Ghost's July 2022 release date. So Ghost sold as much or more in less time and with a higher pricetag (and beter critical reception).
And it's not like Sony Bend was shut down or something. They're making a new IP as Sony didn't want to invest in more Days Gone.

3 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

Sony sounds like a delight.

“Local Studio Management” might mean Bend studios rather than PlayStation Studios. 

Otherwise It could of been due to the reviews being bizarrely lukewarm - like it was instantly written off as too much like TLOU, which it isn’t - and this long sales tail is from word of mouth. 

1 hour ago, joemul said:

To be fair it's a strange game as probably the first 10-12 hours or so are the weakest part of it.

I think a lot of people don't realise that not all games are made for people on videogame forums or those who review games for a living, with lots of time spent playing games under their collective belts. A lot of the time a game is designed with a real gradual build-up for the infrequent or even new players who will only play a few games a year. I actually have a bit of an appriciation for this kind of pacing, and I think it's here with Day's Gone. 

There's definitely a common theme here.

I played this on PS4 soon after release but like many in this thread I bounced off it pretty quickly. I picked it up again on PC just before Christmas and this time I loved it. Maybe down to it running a bit smoother on PC, maybe because I picked it up on sale (and subconsciously the value/expectation ratio was re-balanced) but also I came prepared this time and ground my way through the early game until it opened up a bit and became more interesting. The characters grew on me as the game went on and the drip fed story cut scenes became something to look forward to rather than dreaded.

A reminder that sometimes the problem is you rather than the game perhaps! There are definitely some 'good' games that I haven't got on with - maybe time to re-visit some of them.

I don’t think it unreasonable not to expect a player to trudge through a long period of something relatively poor before it opens up. Days gone was one of my favourite games from last gen but it’s easy to see how people bounced off it after the first 10 hours . I don’t think the player can be blamed for that. 

i have the same issue with Ac Valhalla , which apparently is great once the combat options open up after 10 hours or so , but I simply can’t be arsed.

Hoo boy if these more recent interviews don't give off some red flags for why these guys might not be there anymore:

From this one: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2022/01/days-gone-2-interview with game director Jeff Ross

“This is something I want no responsibility for,” Ross laughs. “We had a creative director who wanted this. We flew back and forth, but he won. And yeah, I think it was ridiculous.

Nice selling out of your team, so-called game director.

“We have to be able to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you can run,” Ross says. “I just see that as a trilogy. First games – Batman: Arkham, the first Uncharted – are basic. 

No-one thinks Arkham Asylum is the best one for sure.

And if you look at a game like Uncharted, you could surface swim in the first game. In the second or third game, you could go underwater. Then in the fourth game, you’re scuba diving underwater. They didn’t start with scuba diving, they built towards it. That applies to every game. Horizon Forbidden West is going to have swimming underwater.

It's amazing how much of this interview is about swimming.

Sony Bend decided to make these changes partly because of developers’ negative experiences while working on Days Gone. In an interview with David Jaffe, director John Garvin admitted that his personality was what led to him being fired from Sony Bend. Even company-mandated management training didn’t cool his temper any. 

Oooof.

“John is on the record regarding his behavior,” Ross says. “John’s brilliant, by the way. He’s great most days and then sometimes there’s an awkward interaction. I think people were afraid sometimes to go out on a limb and do stuff, not because it would get them in trouble, but because the place can be really critical. That was always too bad for me, I didn’t love that. 

Too bad.

My mind is boggling a bit at the idea that not only can a 50hr game not be expected to be good from the start, but at this idea from the developers that you need to have at least one sequel before it really gets going. Like, you develop the game for six years and then develop a sequel for at least four more years, and only then can you really get to where you want to go.

This seems to be a common thing with long, epic games - they rarely if ever have strong starts. So it's clearly something that's really difficult to do, but it's still weird to read about a game that took six years to make and cost tens of millions of pounds to make as if it's some tentative, experimental step towards some notional future game.