IGNORED

Days Gone - Sons of Anarchy x Last of Us

Jamie John

11 minutes ago, Dave White said:

just read pc gamers review who gave this 63 and said avoid in so many words. 

The initial reviews were pretty bad but there was a ton of reappraisal about a year ago after various patches and then the PS5 patch transformed it even more. 

I fired this up again last night after a long break and I was baffled again by the amount of currencies and materials and upgrades and everything. 

Really love the world though and the stealth sections were a lot of fun so am gonna just dive in again and see where I end up. 

48 minutes ago, Dave White said:

just read pc gamers review who gave this 63 and said avoid in so many words. 

Have a bike and I’m off to explore. 

I just hopped on Metacritic (PC) to see how it did across all reviews. 

Yeah, I still have nothing in common with most of these people. 'Unappealing protagonist' my arse*.

*Okay, I get this is subjective, but it's often people who've played for about ten minutes who make that kind of snap judgment about old Deacon St. John. 

In their defence, Deek is an asshat with that stupid baseball hat of his. Like, wear it proper you bellend. He's not charming or witty, he and Boozer act like a selfish brats desperately clinging onto this whole "bike brothers yeah" attitude from yesteryear. And then after about 15 hours the story happens, character arcs form and it grows into something in my opinion very good.

Without naming protagonists from other PlayStation Studios, Deek leaves the worst first impression by far.

As a counter to that, I loved Deek from the outset. No other Playstation Studios main character has the guts to loudly pick fights with prerecorded messages of long-dead people or suddenly start screaming whilst creeping around in the wilderness about how he's going to murder each and every last freaker. He's borderline demented, barely acting like a functioning human being at times, and this makes him immensely endearing to me.

Way more than any of the Beardy McDadsersons, at any rate. 

Reached the third camp and the environment there is probably the prettiest I've ever seen in a game. Goddamn. Of course the 60FPS on the PS5 doing a lot of work here making it all look sharp and smooth. The story is also picking up nicely. Fantastic game.

Not really a criticism, but I'm surprised at how long the loading times still are. How long must they've been on the clunky ol' PS4?? Or is there some technical reason that PS4 games can't access the full speed of the PS5 SSD or something

13 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

The initial reviews were pretty bad but there was a ton of reappraisal about a year ago after various patches and then the PS5 patch transformed it even more. 

I fired this up again last night after a long break and I was baffled again by the amount of currencies and materials and upgrades and everything. 

Really love the world though and the stealth sections were a lot of fun so am gonna just dive in again and see where I end up. 

The review was this months issue. Crazy 

Posted  this in the "What ya playin'?" thread:

Gave Days Gone another try after already bouncing off twice. It was the 60FPS that lured me back in. After struggling through the mediocre intro, it finally started to click and now I'm completely immersed - and also completely in love. Turns out it's an incredible stealth-shooter explore'em up - think Ubi Far Cry but far less streamlined, far less stupid, way more creative, and far, far more tense. It's got some of the most gorgeous environments I've ever seen in any game, and the stealth/survival/loot gameplay loop is expertly crafted with loads of player freedom and also a lot of emergent funtimes. In any other game it would feel like I needed to grind for loot and levels and money, but in this game I'm just looking for any excuse to do anything in this fantastic sandbox - because everything is so much fun. There's no grind, just pure gameplay bliss.

To think I almost binned it forever.

And yeah, I have to thank everyone in this thread who encouraged me to stick with it a wee bit longer and gave me helpful pointers to make the start more palatable. Now it has become one of those rare games that I'm constantly thinking about playing whenever I'm not playing it. In retrospect probably my favourite of the PS4 blockbuster cinematic games even! It just plays so much better than any of the others.

Yeah, I'm enjoying this again after a big old break (last save was in January).

The world feels so cohesive and full of secrets. Just spotting an old shed buried deep in the forest and finding some much needed fuel there is like a mini victory. 

I'm guessing I'm about 10-15 hours and I also really like that my quest log isn't just jammed full of side quests as I usually just get paralysis and it puts me off. All the quests feel like a progression but you can stop off and do a question mark as they only show up as you pass. It's a really smart system. 

Still feel very underpowered though to take on more than a few swarmers at once. I've got to trust lvl 2 in both of the camps, when does it become feasible to take on the hordes?

I’d say once you’ve got an LMG and some saddlebags it’s worth going horde-hunting back in the first area. Those hordes are mostly relatively small. I left all hordes till the end and in hindsight lots of them are quite easy as long as you’ve got enough ammo. I regret leaving them all till after the story. 

Early hordes can have as little as 50~75 Swarmers in them, and you get good rewards for taking them out as you go with some of the best weapons in the game appearing in your locker. The SMP-9 you get early on in your horde murdering career is a remarkable little Uzi.

Tip for the actual fights below:

Spoiler

Once you can make an attractor and buy a few frag grenades, smaller hordes become a breeze. Go at night to their caves, stay just far enough

away you won't be spotted, hurl an attractor at the entrance, wait a minute for as many of the enemy to surround it as possible, then chuck a frag or two. You'll have to deal with some stragglers, but it puts a remarkable dent in their collective health bar.

I've started this too, maybe about 10hours in. I spent ages trying to lure a horde into an enemy camp that was build above it but just contantantly got battered by the horde or the bandits!

It feels like a plan that should work but I think I either need to deal with the horde or stealth kill the bandits. You can't win a war fighting on two fronts.

Platinum'd this the other day, and finally wrapped up the last few story missions on Thursday.

Its such a shame Sony wont pick this up for a sequel, which was obviously the plan if it had done well, judging by the final story mission. Really enjoyed it, and though Deacon can be a bit annoying sometimes - yelling at Cope's radio broadcasts mainly (which can be a bit daft when Freakers dont hear him), he did start to grow on me towards the end.

I didnt see any bugs in the game, other than one with Hordes not appearing, which was fixed by saving then reloading, and the team have done a pretty impressive job of polishing the game up since its original launch, which was marred by a fair few bugs and other issues. The game also looks pretty impressive, but I dont know if that was because I played it on a PS5 or not.

Think this may be the first zombie game I give my seal of approval to. I now know why@Uncle Mikewas playing this so much back in 2019 :lol:

ok so this is really really good. 

Ive said it before but I've become quite cynical as a gamer the older I've got and usually turn things off when I feel a game isn't worth my time. It could be said that there is nothing new in this and seen its all before type affair, last of us, state of decay etc. But the pacing and lack of hand holding is what has grabbed me.

The world is glorious and the exploration is brilliant, even the way its very slowly adding stuff for you to deal with is just superb. I was actually thinking about the lack of wildlife and then something appeared I had to deal with.  I loved the first last of us and always got immersed in the smoke and mirrors of the game world, but this is something else with it being open.  Just had an epic encounter with a group of horrid people and was easily as good as anything naughty dog has mustered.

The only rough edge I have found is deacons dialogue were he sometimes shouts at the top of his voice, but that's it. I grabbed me from the off and with every mission something new is offered and the slow reveal is just so welcome. Not even seen a horde yet....

So glad I gave this a chance as its totally up there with the best of them.

I was crouched and silently sneaking up behind two criminal types holding innocent folks hostage. Just a few feet behind them Deacon suddenly shouts "OH SO YOU WANT TO KILL PEOPLE HUH WELL LET'S SEE HOW YOU LIKE IT HUH HUH" 

I was like fuuuuu but quickly noticed that the criminals hadn't reacted to his shouting so I could still sneaky stab them.

1 hour ago, Dave White said:

The world is glorious and the exploration is brilliant, even the way its very slowly adding stuff for you to deal with is just superb. I was actually thinking about the lack of wildlife and then something appeared I had to deal with.  I loved the first last of us and always got immersed in the smoke and mirrors of the game world, but this is something else with it being open.  Just had an epic encounter with a group of horrid people and was easily as good as anything naughty dog has mustered.

This is exactly something I was thinking about. Unlike the smoke and mirrors that only suggest a bigger world beyond the route the devs want you to take, Days Gone actually gives you that world. And imo with less handholding and more options/freedom to plan your own approach to encounters. More tactical options and more variety in them.

Also, imho again, the atmosphere of the world and the vicious brutality of the combat and the general tension is far better than in TLOU1 and 2. Obviously the production values of TLOU2 are beyond all other games, with incredible cinematics and acting performances - but in regards to everything else, I think the Days Gone devs outdid Naughty Dog and then some.

Shout out to the lighting in this too. If you take a nap in that tower where Boozer is holed up, the shadows cast as dawn breaks across the mountains are staggeringly beautiful. I've audibly gasped a few times at how great this looks. 

I finished LoU2 last week and whilst overall I thought it was well done, I wanted it to end and the spiteful, nasty violence and revenge themes were really beginning to be oppressive. Obviously stabbing someone in the top of their head and in to their brain is pretty grim either way but it definitely feels more, ahem, fun here. 

8 minutes ago, joemul said:

Hmmm..... i love Days Gone but i don't think i could confiedently say that the combat is better than in TLOU2. The combat in Hilcrest alone tops anything achieved in Days Gone.

Fair enough. It's not a hill I'm dead set on dying on, just my humble opinion. For me at least, the intensity, tension, and brutality in Days Gone feels like what TLOU2 wanted me to feel but didn't quite achieve because it felt too artificial, too funneled for me personally. So I'm not stating a fact as much as a personal feeling. Days Gone just clicked with me so hard that it's quickly become one of my fave games of the previous gen in retrospect.

I'm not surprised a lot of people are put off by this game early on. Mechanically things are obviously rather limited at the outset – as opposed to later on when you're stowing duffel bags worth of equipment in Deacon's backwards cap – but rather than easing you in to the narrative in the meantime, for hours you appear to play an irredeemable arsehole surrounded exclusively by other arseholes. It's a strange choice, as later on you're introduced to a cast of characters with genuine humanity, people you might actually like and empathise with.

Perhaps the intent was to make the player feel as despondent as Deacon does at the outset? I'm guessing it has more to do with them removing the narrative branching during development, though, meaning they had to piece what they had together and try to make it work.

Yeah the combat in TLOU2 is proper best in class stuff, especially in the more open encounters like Hillcrest etc. It might seem funnelly but there are so many different ways to mess with the guards and approach everything that it always felt to me like I was having a real effect on how things played out. Whereas with Days Gone you have a more open world but the combat itself is basically sneak up and smack or shoot in the head with few variations because the AI isn't great. I also remember it being quite buggy and I couldn't always do all the things I wanted to try. 

I completely agree about the world though, it's definitely the game's best asset. As much as I was very much done with it after really enjoying it for 60 odd hours, I found myself really missing it for a little while after. I think the main reason I didn't like Control that much (aside from those stupid audio tapes you had to stand still and listen to) was that at no point could I just ride off on my bike and fuck with a horde of zombies for a bit. 

I absolutely loved this, just ticked all my boxes for some reason. Bizarre given very few games hold my attention now, and I don't ordinarily like open world games. It's just so free form and the world is amazing. Helps that it's gorgeous.

So much better than almost any other game I've played recently. Even made me put Mass Effect Trilogy to one side. 

Haven't played last of us due to not having owned a Sony console since the PS2, but that's a massively different almost incomparable game.

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I was crouched and silently sneaking up behind two criminal types holding innocent folks hostage. Just a few feet behind them Deacon suddenly shouts "OH SO YOU WANT TO KILL PEOPLE HUH WELL LET'S SEE HOW YOU LIKE IT HUH HUH" 

I love Deacon so damn much. It's like there's no filter between what's happening in his brain and his mouth, it just streams right out unimpeded.

The combat in both TLOU2 and this are both excellent and provide a similar kind of scrappy and violent experience.

The big difference, though, is that in TLOU you are always, by design, very low on ammo. Even if you happen to be quite flush, you don't want to spunk it all away because the game doles out just enough supplies to keep you going.

Days Gone, however, is open-world, which means the player can plan. This means that, throughout the game, you get times when you're properly tooled up and can Rambo your way through zombies, and there are times when you're caught out and need to make each shot count. And the great thing is, those scenarios are player-driven.

So although TLOU2 is mechanically superior, and definitely has way better AI, I do think that the range of encounters the open world provides gives Days Gone more variety. Plus there are more different weapon and enemy types in Days Gone.

I struggle to find the will to replay TLOU2 and I've tried several times (on PS5 now). It's spectacularly well made and offers me little enjoyment. In contrast, I happily take Days Gone with me to a deserted island and replay it over and over. I highly recommend doing a NG+ run on the highest difficulty with all upgrades and unlocks available and play around with enemies. Heck go to a Nero zone, leave all alarms on and start the engine. It's tremendous amounts of fun.

Did a night of aimless wandering last night. Haven't really felt like doing that in a game since Breath of the Wild. I just took to the open road and skinned a few bears and deer, picked some flowers, saved a few hostages and just hoped I wouldn't run out of fuel. I happened across a ripper camp in the south west corner of the map which lead me to a bunker, which pointed me to a nero injector. NIce.

I also kept hearing this distant motorbike going up and down a nearby road. I took out my binoculars and just made out this guy doing circuits of the area. I crept closer and Deek says under his breath 'damn raider patrol' (or something like that). He was clearly a baddie so I hunkered down in a bush just next to the road and sniped him just as he was coming over the hill. Perfect headshot and he slumped forward over his handlebars before coming to halt just five feet away. I think he had a pipe bomb in his pocket which I looted. Totally worth it.

Love it when your pointless ambling results in something unexpected. Nothing spectacularly exciting but some amazing world-building.