Days Gone - Sons of Anarchy x Last of Us

On 04/03/2021 at 11:17, Mawdlin said:

This is the sequel I'm most pumped about for next gen. I just hope they get rid of those awful NERO stealth sections.

According to multiple reports the sequel is now off :(

34 minutes ago, StephenM said:

I’m giving this a second chance now on the PS5 — only a couple hours in. 

Was totally into it and wondered why it didn’t get me before. Then had my first forced Nero stealth section. Eek. 

I’m wondering: side stuff — skippable, certain storylines worth pursuing, or all pretty essential?

Focus on the main story as it’s very long. The side stuff I’d recommend doing if you happen to come across it but anything left can be mopped up at the end. I got the platinum for this and that’s how I approached it and it worked out well.

Bummed that it looks as if they won’t get to make a sequel. I guess that explains why there were several high profile departures from the studio in the past year or so.

They proved their chops with the first game and a follow-up on PS5 could have been something really special.

56 hours later and I’ve finished this (except the hordes). 

what a game. I found the story surprisingly engaging 

Spoiler

Although I wasn’t a big fan of the “your wife is dead oh no wait she’s alive” twist. 

it’s also incredibly buggy. In one mission 

Spoiler

Where you first meet a reacher, the geometry going into the cave was fucked so there was a massive hole in the ground. Deacon walked over it fine in the cutscene to enter the cave, but the horde wouldn’t spawn - presumably because the game “directs” them into the cave at the right point and they just fell through the map. 

I think I’ll go back and do the hordes. I’ve been looking up strategies on Reddit and feel a bit more prepped now - all of my successful horde encounters have just involved a lot of attractor bombs and badly thrown molotovs. 

Spoiler

I accidentally triggered a horde near a NERO checkpoint when I left one of the distant speakers on and didn’t notice until the game wouldn’t let me sleep. It basically acted as an attractor bringing them out into the open so I could take them out nice and easy. 

by the end of the game you’re very overpowered and it fuckin rules given how weak you are the start. The first encounter with a breaker is terrifying and by the end of the game I’m going out of my way to take them on for shits and gigs. 

10/10 loved every second of it except the occasional bug. 

I’m not sure how much of it was psychosomatic, but this really got my interest after reaching the third camp — exactly as everyone on here was saying!

Just arrived at camp 4 and one thing did annoy me a little... 

Spoiler

The scene where we find her seemed really underplayed — I got the ‘I have a life here and responsibilities’ point, but the unbridled amazement at just seeing each other alive felt a bit glossed over. 

Hopefully as I press on and learn more it’ll feel more understandable. Still very interested to see it through!

On 15/04/2021 at 23:09, simms said:

PC trailer

It’s quite cheap on steam considering it’s supposed to be a major title. Makes me sceptical and the only reason why it isn’t in my basket.

10 minutes ago, Stevie said:

It’s quite cheap on steam considering it’s supposed to be a major title. Makes me sceptical and the only reason why it isn’t in my basket.

I don’t think £40 is especially cheap really? Horizon was available at a similar price I think. 

End of the day, it’s a new title on the PC sure, but it’s not a new game in and of itself.

18 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I don’t think £40 is especially cheap really? Horizon was available at a similar price I think. 

End of the day, it’s a new title on the PC sure, but it’s not a new game in and of itself.

Then they have increased the price. It was like £30 last night. 

I hope the game gets a second wind on steam, what with the recent stories that it underperformed so much Sony canned any chance of a sequel. I bounced off the game pretty hard despite trying it a good few times, but I could tell what was there was pretty good. Think I was just sick of open world games with character progression and crafting etc. It truly was the gen for them. 

15 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Let MS buy them and release 'Months/Years Gone' on Series X|S. And also revive Syphon Filter.

The writer and director of Days Gone both left the studio last year. Neither appear to be currently employed elsewhere.

I remember they got some stick on release when it became apparent that the game was wall to wall hordes, but i think it's really well done the way they gradually introduce them.

4 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Didn't Sony moan about the metacritic score more than the sales? Seems like an arseholes backwards way of looking at it but I thought that was the excuse given.

Sony are insanely fragile about their Metacritic scores. 

15 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

I would much prefer more original games each gen than each one having to become an “ip”. 

When the first game turns out great, I've no problem with sequels that aren't just going through the motions.

Bloodborne 2 through my veins anytime.

2 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

When the first game turns out great, I've no problem with sequels that aren't just going through the motions.

Bloodborne 2 through my veins anytime.

Bloodborne proves my point though. 

It wouldn’t exist if From had to make dark souls sequels for ever more. 

And If Bloodborne 2 existed Sekiro wouldn’t. 

And Sekiro is so. Much. Better. 

And next Elden ring. 

That’s how it should be. 

Just now, LaveDisco said:

Bloodborne proves my point though. 

It wouldn’t exist if From had to make dark souls sequels for ever more. 

And If Bloodborne 2 existed Sekiro wouldn’t. 

And Sekiro is so. Much. Better. 

And next Elden ring. 

That’s how it should be. 

I love Sekiro, but let's not go stark raving mad. 

Also, we're not necessarily talking about fifty games in a franchise. We're talking about at least one to a great original game. Dark Souls got sequels, and even Dark Souls itself could be considered a spiritual sequel to Demon's - and all of these games mentioned share very strong DNA. Even Sekiro, removed as it was from the RPG elements, had a lot of similar elements in overall design.

The idea that Days Gone 2 gets ditched for Uncharted 50 or whatever is actually painful.

Whilst admittedly I didn't play Days Gone at launch I'm still baffled as to how this scored so badly - it's my favourite open word game last gen behind BotW. Seems a shame, if true, that it's low metacritic rating is responsible for it getting axed.

Re: not churning out IP's - you have to imagine that's why Sony have managed to hold on to much of their talent wheras Microsoft have struggled over the years. 

3 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Re: not churning out IP's - you have to imagine that's why Sony have managed to hold on to much of their talent wheras Microsoft have struggled over the years. 

MS seem to be clawing their way back, Sony may - and I hope they aren't - be starting to slide in the opposite directions. They sure didn't hold on to Japan studio, most recently, and having lead devs escape from Bend before being forced onto doing emotes for the Last of Us remake or whatever... 

Anyway, yeah. I loved Days Gone. Didn't expect to, but I do and I'll likely double dip on PC.

1 hour ago, Kayin Amoh said:

MS seem to be clawing their way back, Sony may - and I hope they aren't - be starting to slide in the opposite directions. They sure didn't hold on to Japan studio, most recently, and having lead devs escape from Bend before being forced onto doing emotes for the Last of Us remake or whatever... 

Anyway, yeah. I loved Days Gone. Didn't expect to, but I do and I'll likely double dip on PC.

I liked a lot of Japan Studios output but most of their best work in recent years was external. Bend is a shame too but I can't help but feel a bit too much is being extrapolated from this. MS are certainly buying up lots of talent but have much to prove when it comes to allowing them to work on new ip and supporting them creatively - not something they've excelled at historically. 

Days Gone Lead speaks out about the lack of a sequel and the importance of Metacritic for Sony:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/days-gone-lead-says-dont-complain-if-theres-no-sequel-if-you-didnt-buy-it-full-price/

The creative director and writer of Days Gone has said that players should buy games at full price if they like them, instead of waiting for them to go on sale or be given away as part of services like PlayStation Plus.

"I took it hard, to be honest, because, again...This is just the reality of Sony, Metacritic score is everything. If you're the creative director on a franchise and your game is coming out to a 70, you're not going to be the creative director on that franchise for very long."

I thought someone had shared that. Thing is, Sony OK those discounts. The digital sales are entirely under their control. Maybe Nintendo had the right idea with not aggressively is counting their library like clockwork, hm?

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

I thought someone had shared that. Thing is, Sony OK those discounts. The digital sales are entirely under their control. Maybe Nintendo had the right idea with not aggressively is counting their library like clockwork, hm?

I sympathise with John Garvin’s sentiment, but waiting for the inevitable discount is not a problem of the consumer’s making. 

With respect to Days Gone, the generally recognised narrative is that it didn’t launch in the shape it’s in now. I like it a lot, and never played it at launch, but the idea that people should buy high at launch with the confidence that it’ll be a better game later through patching, after aggressive discounting, is unsupportable. 

Not sure how you can know you'll love a game before you buy it at full price, but then this is the man who invented a world where people don't know what lavender is, and where the protagonist tells a character his wife's name is Beth when he's got SARAH tattooed on his neck.