Days Gone - Sons of Anarchy x Last of Us

31 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

The replies to that tweet are amazing.

20210223_174031.jpg.83862b42bb56c25a9b60af30edd7a4c3.jpg

The same people I am sure who are appalled by the idea that Bethesda games might not be on PlayStation in future. Fucking weird troglodytes. 

2 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Some hate it and are angry PC gamers get to play a PS game, while others thinks it will make Sony more money and strengthen PlayStation. Its hilarious :lol: 

Day 1 for me. 

4 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I'm eagerly awaiting a Knack PC port announcement any day now then we will really see the Sony tears

Tried to get into this for a second time, but the world is still unattractive (even at 60fps), the gameplay clunky, the writing cock, and all of the characters are shit. Especially the lead, who is the worst of its panoply of cunts.

Love all the links to 4 follower Twitter accounts demonstrating a divisive victory for the above-all-this nonsense so mature PC gamer brigade. It’s an absolute banger of a game (min 10 hours in) but they literally can’t give it away on PS5 right now. No one cares.

On 24/02/2021 at 12:29, df0 said:

Cracking game, good news for those on PC.

Next up: God of War surely.

Yeah, this is from the interview with GQ:

Particularly from the latter half of the PS4 cycle our studios made some wonderful, great games. There’s an opportunity to expose those great games to a wider audience and recognise the economics of game development, which are not always straightforward. The cost of making games goes up with each cycle, as the calibre of the IP has improved. Also, our ease of making it available to non-console owners has grown. So it’s a fairly straightforward decision for us to make.

So God of War certaintly sounds like a possibility. But the PS4 did have quite an impressive run of quality exclusives, so there's quite a few different titles he could be talking about. Bloodborne, Ghost of Tsushima, Shadow of the Colossus, Spider-Man, etc. All we really know if that Days Gone will come out, and then we can look forward to more.

On 23/02/2021 at 20:03, deerokus said:

There's a load of people crying about not having a reason to own a PlayStation any more. 

Compared to the replies / quote tweets for this, seems we've come a long way tbh.

On 24/02/2021 at 08:28, Hitcher said:

At the time of launch 'Only on PlayStation' was true though. If it has said 'Only ever on PlayStation' I could see the problem.

It's like seeing "only in theatres", then getting mad when a film comes out on netflix.

I've gone back to this hard since the 60fps patch. It's so good. I'm playing it alongside Miles Morales (60fps + RT) and honestly I think this looks slightly more next-gen.

Also I remember when it launched reviews mentioned awkward and weedy gun-play. I couldn't disagree more! It must've been patched since launch as I absolutely love the guns - the sound, the impact, the handling, the reload animations. They're brilliant.

Wow this really does shift gears a bit later on. Spoiler for post Lost Lake:

Spoiler

I just rode south with Iron Mike in a very RDR-inspired trek accompanied by a plaintive song. I've met some really intriguing and well-acted new characters and there's a brilliantly-realised sense of unease in this new camp. Then I found Sarah! I honestly had no idea whether she was alive or not. As far as "press up to advance the game" storytelling goes, this is good stuff. Obviously it's not TLOU quality but it's much better than the average game. At the start I didn't care about the characters or story one bit, now I can't wait to see what happens.

I think Deacon is the perfect avatar for this kind of game. He's quite nihilistic and has no qualms about killing anyone not in his gang. There's not much soul searching about the violence he carries out, it's just how he is. But he's not an arsehole either, and he'll go to great lengths to protect those close to him or people who need protecting. A solider, basically. That works for me in a game where you brutally kill hundreds of people. I prefer just being able to enjoy the narrative and gameplay without them feeling at odds with each other. There's none of that dissonance I get in RDR2 or Uncharted, or even TLOU2, which revels in making you do things you don't want to do.

They've also done a good job of making a very long game that doesn't feel hugely drawn out. It's more like an ongoing TV show rather than one very long, very padded film. Each camp feels like a season, with it's own characters and season-long (or even episodic) arcs, underpinned by ongoing threads that run in the background. I'm not sure if I've seen anyone else nail this structure so well.

Also, plenty others have said it, but the gameplay structure is perfectly tuned as well. Despite the activities being similar, there is a strong sense of progression as you unlock new weapons, crafting recipes and upgrades. Your relationship with the freaks change. I'm at the point of using them as target practice and trying to drift-tap them with the back wheel of my souped-up bike, whereas at the start I was gingerly sneaking around groups of three trying to get stealth kills. That balance is really hard to get right in a freeform open-world game.

Yeah, it's not perfectly done (those bits where Deacon is stealthing and starts screaming on about stuff because they haven't got some of the randomised encounter scripting bang on feel weird) and it has a really slow start where you don't like Boozer or Deacon, but as it plays it it does strengthen a lot.

I think it's because the supporting characters are strong, and improve as the game goes on. Skizzo and Iron Mike are great, and Kouri and Garret are instantly engaging and well-acted.

Deacon does crack me up though. "Ah hey Rikki, I'm er just...yeah I've just got some things....ah....okay I'll be there" and that stuff you mention where he goes all bloodthirsty at people in plaid shirts.

Oh, and I love/hate the (enemy type spoiler)

Spoiler

Screamers. First time I started coming across them I was totally unprepared for the effect they have on you. Last night I was sneaking round a house and I heard someone humming a tune outside. Turns out that's the noise they make when idle. Brilliant.

Iron Mike has some really strong dialog where he's trying to explain his point of view. In other games it'd be the main character talking about retaining humanity before massacring hundreds and hundreds of people instead :lol: 

There's some nice little conversations Deake has with the various vendors on the camps, especially once they start to like him. Go fighting Platupus!

The game is great at transitioning between gunplay and melee as well, the controls are good but the enemies also react differently. It might be more realistic in TLOU2 when you get blown away trying to take a stick to a gunfight but it's cool here where the baddies don't just shoot you while you are battering their mates :lol: 

31 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

This is the sequel I'm most pumped about for next gen. I just hope they get rid of those awful NERO stealth sections.

Yeah they really stick out as awful bits of gameplay, and there are so many of them early on. They should've just been audio logs you find on story missions.

I was thinking that a sequel could expand more on the motorbike side of things and have Road Rash-style high-speed melee battles. For a game about biker gangs there's not enough bike chases or bike combat!

• 1 month later...

I’m giving this a second chance now on the PS5 — only a couple hours in. 

Was totally into it and wondered why it didn’t get me before. Then had my first forced Nero stealth section. Eek. 

I’m wondering: side stuff — skippable, certain storylines worth pursuing, or all pretty essential?