Days Gone - Sons of Anarchy x Last of Us

Towards the end of the game you have enough fire power and resources to successfully take on any Horde. Tip: saddlebags for your bike and fill those up, bring the big automatic guns (don't bring rifles, you want to spray as many bullets per second as possible) and let er rip.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.3b5bf03a5814f8f16d2966df0da7363b.jpg

Been playing this quite a lot since it dropped onto PS Now. I chose Survival mode and it's good to play something that doesn't hand anything to you on a plate - every moment feels dangerous so far. The lack of fast travel certainly appears to add a lot of playtime but certainly for now I don't mind it, the bike is a lot of fun and fuel stations seem common enough to stay on top of the guzzling situation.

My only complaint would be that the game seems to suffer with disappearing/inconsistent enemies. I spent ages clearing an infestation but after dying it turned out that the best method was to burn the nests and run away. I burned four nests and almost all the freakers just disappeared.

Did the story mission horde last night.

Total cluster fuck :lol:. I'm not into strategy games at all and have been playing Days Gone as basically a melee guy for close up with freakers and as a sniper for other camps, love sneaking about taking guys out at the camps.

The horde was a shambles for me. I did try a bit of planning using various bombs but just generally ended up with a Benny Hill run away.

I did find that after several attempts and deaths it gave me the option to skip this part, what a brilliant addition. If I had to carry this on I really do think I would have just switched off and never gone back which would be such a shame when I'm this far through and have played so much.

Wish more games had that option.

There's a trick to tackle big hordes. Do as much initial damage as you can, run and reload, shoot, run and reload, create distance. After a while the ones furthest away from you lose interest and return to the nest which means instead of like 250 following you there's just 20 or so. And 20 are much easier to take down and avoid then 250. Rinse repeat.

This is how I did the Sawmill horde. I think I spent like an accumulated 2 hours setting traps, planning a route past red barrels etc. only to die over and over due to either my stupid mistake or because I got stuck on the scenery.

Yeah I was getting the feeling that trying to separate some off from the pack would be the way to go.

Will admit that I can't see me spending several hours setting stuff up like that though, just not a style of play that interests me that much.

That's not you. The Hordes are severely underdeveloped, there's neat ideas and it's easy to see what they were going for, but they ran out of time and/or other resources to make it shine. Especially when it comes to the bigger hordes the traps are rather useless. Great, the mine killed 3 freakers, just 150 more to go... 

Yeah the story hordes are just a pain in the ass quite frankly.

I cleared the second one where you need fertiliser but it was pretty boring. I did set up some mines attached to fuel tanks and guide them past there and napalm molotovs too but it was mostly a case of running away when they chased, find more resources and then back again. Took too long and wasn't that fun.

I'm dealing with the sawmill one now. Did have a bit of fun as I have a big old gun with a pile of ammo and that was enjoyable but again it was more running away and then picking odd stragglers. I've killed a quarter of it but to be honest next time I'm on I'm just going to suicide into the horde a few times and get the option to skip.

I think the sawmill one is probably the last one you have to do for the story, if you're not enjoying it.

The method that made it reasonably straightforwards for me was to park my bike (with all its laden saddlebags at the far end of the nearby railway tunnel, and kite them past a few explosives or fire as I backed back towards the bike necking the focus potions. That obviously forces them into a nice line.

You can creep round the back of the Mill, climb the stairs then head out onto the roof above the horde and rain attractors/napalm down on them, if you crouch down and avoid being seen by line of 'reinforcements' who march down the hill (head indoors till they pass) you can do most of them without being seen.

And done. Didn't bother with that sawmill horde, just suicided it, took 3 goes and it let me skip. Just couldn't be arsed with the fight.

Lot of fun to be had in this really even out with the Hordes, not going to change the world or anything.

That extra ending :lol::lol:

Jesus I love this game. It's just so cool to hop in for a couple of hours, and although progress is slow, it really feels earned, unlike most games which just throw stuff at you constantly. Opening up new weapons is a proper thrill. I also think it benefits massively on its higher modes when fast travel isn't enabled, it's so much more immersive to have to think about every trip, and the bike is so great that I never mind.

How far through are you? I got partway through the third camp’s missions before I got distracted but tales of an incredibly protracted story have put me off returning. 

5 minutes ago, Pob said:

How far through are you? I got partway through the third camp’s missions before I got distracted but tales of an incredibly protracted story have put me off returning. 

First two camps still but I must have played 10 hours.

Maybe I'll get bored at some point (in fact I probably will, most games are too long), but for now I'm loving it.

On 21/10/2020 at 17:54, Timmo said:

First two camps still but I must have played 10 hours.

Maybe I'll get bored at some point (in fact I probably will, most games are too long), but for now I'm loving it.

Really good advice that someone gave me in this thread when I started out was to focus on the main story. It's a very lengthy game and there's a LOT of side content but it can be safely left till the endgame (such as it is) or just done as you naturally stumble across it in the wilds. I found it to be a beautifully balanced game playing on hard difficulty, which is in stark contrast to most open-world games that have you thundering around like Zeus from about halfway through the game usually. So don't be too worried about losing out on valuable XP/items if you're not diligently clearing every square inch.

I ended up getting the platinum trophy for this so I never get bored and hugely enjoyed clearing out the entire map, but if you're the sort who may get a little fatigued by the prospect then definitely just do the story missions and you won't go far wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

And finished! Well, the main story anyway.

Firstly the negatives. The 6 hours of cutscenes were massively, massively excessive. The story wasn't bad but there was way too much exposition for what was overall a pretty simple premise. I ended up skipping a lot and losing nothing.

My other main negative is an extension of that - the enforced walking sections. These are awful, and again there are way too many. There's one involving a waterfall where I was shouting at my screen and wanted to turn my console off.

Ok, that over, I love so much about it! Along with the very solid all round mechanics, I have to say my favourite thing was the gradual change from being scared of 2 or 3 freakers attacking you at once, to being more than comfortable taking on big groups of enemies. Getting new weapons is a real joy, because the game allows you to become incredibly powerful.

It all culminates in the mission where you fight the Sawmill Horde, and for me the peak was that and the rest of the last few hours. Fighting that horde took me about 5 attempts and the successful attempt gave me a huge rush because after trying to portion them off in previous attempts I ended up fighting all 500 at once. It took almost every item I had and I was buzzing with adrenaline. I also loved a mission close to that where I cleared a camp whilst also being attacked by a swarm of freakers. Three way battles are always great fun, I only wish there were more.

I reckon I'll end up clearing much of the remaining missions that I left, just because I enjoy being in the world so much.

I played on Survival for what it's worth, and I'd recommend it, it felt like Normal would on another game. I think they must have undercooked the difficulty.

Great game!

• 3 weeks later...

And there it is, my first ever Platinum!

I was very keen on taking out all the hordes after completing the story, and in doing that found I was 75% through the trophies. And as I was still enjoying being in the world I thought I might as well finish them off. The last couple (collectibles and cairns) were pretty boring but every other one was a joy.

One of the games of the generation for me. There's plenty that I could criticise about it but overall I found the moment to moment gameplay constantly fun, and  the whole package utterly compulsive.

Just now, Timmo said:

One of the games of the generation for me. There's plenty that I could criticise about it but overall I found the moment to moment gameplay constantly fun, and I found the whole package utterly compulsive.

That seems to be the general consensus. Which makes me very much look forward to the inevitable sequel.

Yep, anyone playing this for the first time I’d highly recommend playing it on at least Hard difficulty. It makes it a proper survival game with scavenging for supplies in the wilderness a key necessity and transforming the combat encounters into sometimes nail-bitingly tense affairs.

You’re also in for an absolute treat as I rate it as perhaps the most underrated game of the last generation and not all that far behind the best of the Sony first-party exclusives. Playing it at 60fps would have been lovely as it did get a little choppy at times on a base PS4, so as well as being included in the PS+ Collection that’s another feather in the cap of the PS5 version.