Days Gone - Sons of Anarchy x Last of Us

7 minutes ago, Hewson said:

I've been playing this for a few hours now and it's all a bit awkward and I'm not sure what I should be doing really. Very aware that lots of people have said it's worth sticking with, though, so wondering if anyone had any tips for first few hours. Should I be focusing on building trust with the two camps so I can buy better weapons? I've upgraded my bike as much as I can so far and that's helping a bit...

It's not really an open world structure in the same way as a Far Cry or Assassins Creed. I didn't really bother focussing on gaining trust with the camps, it's worth doing and helps but it's not the main thrust. I would just keep progressing the main story missions (and take out the nests) and things unfurl naturally. But the first few hours is eked out far too much. It gets good though!

11 minutes ago, Pob said:

Don't play it immediately after The Last Of Us 2, would be my advice :P

Hahaha. Yep - it's not quite the palate cleanser after that experience, that's for sure.

6 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

It's not really an open world structure in the same way as a Far Cry or Assassins Creed. I didn't really bother focussing on gaining trust with the camps, it's worth doing and helps but it's not the main thrust. I would just keep progressing the main story missions (and take out the nests) and things unfurl naturally. But the first few hours is eked out far too much. It gets good though!

That is super helpful - will persevere!

6 hours ago, Hewson said:

I've been playing this for a few hours now and it's all a bit awkward and I'm not sure what I should be doing really. Very aware that lots of people have said it's worth sticking with, though, so wondering if anyone had any tips for first few hours. Should I be focusing on building trust with the two camps so I can buy better weapons? I've upgraded my bike as much as I can so far and that's helping a bit...

I came to this after a replay of TLOU 1 and found the clunky story, and mechanics really tough to come to terms with.

But it does find its feet eventually, just stick with it (and let the memories of TLOU subside) and it will become really good. Its a lot of fun, but a completely different game to the Naughty Dog one.

5 hours ago, Hewson said:

That is super helpful - will persevere!

I've completed the game recently (including every mission), and still have some camps not fully maxed out for trust. 

Things worth doing early on:

1. Get Hot Springs to Level 2 Trust so you can get the MWS automatic rifle. Make sure you send all survivors you encounter to Hot Springs to get to level 2, and hand in all your bounties/meats there.

2. Use the MWS to kill four hordes to unlock the SMP9 automatic pistol, which is super helpful, as it's an automatic weapon for your pistol slot. 

3. Do the infestation missions - once you've burned out an infestation nest, it leaves behind a dust that can be used to make the incredibly useful residue bolts which turn people against each other, and are brilliant for clearing out camps (just fire one at a sniper and sit back and enjoy the ensuing carnage). One thing the game never tells you - the dust respawns, so you can go back to old nests and stock up periodically. 

4. If you do enjoy stealth and use the crossbow a lot, you definitely should prioritise the survival skills, mainly Hawkeyed, Eagle Eyed, Thief in the Night and Green Thumb.  These will let you find cedar saplings much easier, see them from further away, run around silently (this one pretty much makes you an invisible ninja, super OP but fun), and get double the amount of resources from each harvest. Nocked Up is also worth getting from the ranged skills.

5. After those I focussed on Ranged and Survival skills, and did the Melee skills last.

6. Make sure you focus on Stamina, then Focus, then Health with the NERO injections, and try to do these as early as you can in each territory. 

7. MUCH later on you'll want to get the Chicago Chopper to start taking down hordes, but you can get through 80% of the game with just the above. 

HTH!

Quick question for you guys who've played a lot of the game. It's a minor spoiler.

Spoiler

When you're trying to defeat a horde, does the game remember the percentage defeated? I'm at the sawmill horde and I've killed about half, but I'm now out of stuff. Is it okay for me to drive off to get some more gear or will it reset to 100%?

17 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

I've completed the game recently (including every mission), and still have some camps not fully maxed out for trust. 

Things worth doing early on:

1. Get Hot Springs to Level 2 Trust so you can get the MWS automatic rifle. Make sure you send all survivors you encounter to Hot Springs to get to level 2, and hand in all your bounties/meats there.

2. Use the MWS to kill four hordes to unlock the SMP9 automatic pistol, which is super helpful, as it's an automatic weapon for your pistol slot. 

3. Do the infestation missions - once you've burned out an infestation nest, it leaves behind a dust that can be used to make the incredibly useful residue bolts which turn people against each other, and are brilliant for clearing out camps (just fire one at a sniper and sit back and enjoy the ensuing carnage). One thing the game never tells you - the dust respawns, so you can go back to old nests and stock up periodically. 

4. If you do enjoy stealth and use the crossbow a lot, you definitely should prioritise the survival skills, mainly Hawkeyed, Eagle Eyed, Thief in the Night and Green Thumb.  These will let you find cedar saplings much easier, see them from further away, run around silently (this one pretty much makes you an invisible ninja, super OP but fun), and get double the amount of resources from each harvest. Nocked Up is also worth getting from the ranged skills.

5. After those I focussed on Ranged and Survival skills, and did the Melee skills last.

6. Make sure you focus on Stamina, then Focus, then Health with the NERO injections, and try to do these as early as you can in each territory. 

7. MUCH later on you'll want to get the Chicago Chopper to start taking down hordes, but you can get through 80% of the game with just the above. 

HTH!

Massively helpful! Thank you!

I honestly don't know. I generally park my bike nearby and have the saddlebags filled with ammo in case I ran out. And some Hordes demand a lot of ammo to take down.

19 minutes ago, Frankie Lee said:

Quick question for you guys who've played a lot of the game. It's a minor spoiler.

Hide contents

When you're trying to defeat a horde, does the game remember the percentage defeated? I'm at the sawmill horde and I've killed about half, but I'm now out of stuff. Is it okay for me to drive off to get some more gear or will it reset to 100%?

I think it resets to 100%, but slowly over time rather than instantly. Saddlebags, ammo upgrades, pyrotechnics and weight skills are all required before you tackle the larger hordes for sure. 

1 minute ago, jon_cybernet said:

I think it resets to 100%, but slowly over time rather than instantly. Saddlebags, ammo upgrades, pyrotechnics and weight skills are all required before you tackle the larger hordes for sure. 

Ah that's makes sense. I'll keep digging around to see if I can find more molotov parts.

I'm not great at this stuff. I try to make a clever plan with traps and bombs but I still seem to end up getting chased around fecking stuff behind me! Not quite what the developers planned I suspect :D

Whatever you may say about this game, you can't fault the horde mechanics. Man way they start coming at you from every angle it's proper 28 Days Later scary

10 minutes ago, Frankie Lee said:

Ah that's makes sense. I'll keep digging around to see if I can find more molotov parts.

I'm not great at this stuff. I try to make a clever plan with traps and bombs but I still seem to end up getting chased around fecking stuff behind me! Not quite what the developers planned I suspect :D

Whatever you may say about this game, you can't fault the horde mechanics. Man way they start coming at you from every angle it's proper 28 Days Later scary

Pretty much every video I've ever seen of someone tackling a horde involves them running round in circles to the Benny Hill music. There's only so much planning you can do. I mainly make a load of attractor bombs and as many explosives as I can, then wait for them to mash up together in a cave (or find some higher ground above them) and then rain down napalm. this usually takes out about 50% of a largish horde. Then it's back to running around in circles with the tommy gun. Stamina cocktails and saddlebags are essential, as are the iron grip and two birds skills that let bullets pass through freakers. Throwing pipe bombs at your feet while running is also surprisingly effective. 

10 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

Pretty much every video I've ever seen of someone tackling a horde involves them running round in circles to the Benny Hill music. There's only so much planning you can do. I mainly make a load of attractor bombs and as many explosives as I can, then wait for them to mash up together in a cave (or find some higher ground above them) and then rain down napalm. this usually takes out about 50% of a largish horde. Then it's back to running around in circles with the tommy gun. Stamina cocktails and saddlebags are essential, as are the iron grip and two birds skills that let bullets pass through freakers. Throwing pipe bombs at your feet while running is also surprisingly effective. 

That's literally what I do!! :D 

Except I'm also constantly looking at the percentage counter to see how many are left.

But it's so cool when you think you've outrun them and then they just start coming at you from every angle! Climbing over buildings an all.

2 hours ago, Frankie Lee said:

Hide contents

Pretty sure it does because I chipped away at one over a long period of time.

• 4 weeks later...

Stuck this on last night for the first time in a while (after getting a little frustrated with it) and made some good progress.

Spoiler

Saved a girl from the town area that was full of those skinhead nutters and then had to fight a huge bear which was fun.

I think I am still in the "first" area of the game and still finding any combat encounters with the infected tough, including nests etc. Should I just push on with the main story and leave the side stuff until later when I am better levelled and armed? I currently only have a shotgun, pistol, sniper and modified baseball bat.

• 1 month later...

I've put two and half hours into this so far and I can't say I'm terribly excited at the prospect of going back to it. To my mind, at least, it regularly invites comparisons to The Last of Us, as has been pointed out by pretty much everyone (including me in the title of this thread), but also to Red Dead Redemption 2, and it just doesn't match up to either game in more or less every respect, whether it's the world, the combat, the voice acting or the mechanics.

I'm also surprised at how not good looking it is, after lots of people have carped on about the graphics. Maybe I've been spoilt by recent bouts of PC gaming, but I've noticed lots of clipping issues, pop-in, low-res textures and horrible vaseline smear, especially when riding your bike, and I'm playing on a PS4 Pro.

Anyway, I've read that it takes a while to get going, but I'm only managing to eke out 30-45 minutes of gaming each evening at the moment and if this needs you to lay ten hours of groundwork before it starts to get interesting then I think I might quit while I'm ahead. When does it get good?

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I've put two and half hours into this so far and I can't say I'm terribly excited at the prospect of going back to it. To my mind, at least, it regularly invites comparisons to The Last of Us, as has been pointed out by pretty much everyone (including me in the title of this thread), but also to Red Dead Redemption 2, and it just doesn't match up to either game in more or less every respect, whether it's the world, the combat, the voice acting or the mechanics.

I'm also surprised at how not good looking it is, after lots of people have carped on about the graphics. Maybe I've been spoilt by recent bouts of PC gaming, but I've noticed lots of clipping issues, pop-in, low-res textures and horrible vaseline smear, especially when riding your bike, and I'm playing on a PS4 Pro.

Anyway, I've read that it takes a while to get going, but I'm only managing to eke out 30-45 minutes of gaming each evening at the moment and if this needs you to lay ten hours of groundwork before it starts to get interesting then I think I might quit while I'm ahead. When does it get good?

I much preferred this to both The Last of Us and Red Dead Redemption 2 so you may be on a hiding to nothing if it's not clicking yet. However, I do remember thinking it was decidedly average for the first 5 or 6 hours. So yes, that's a long investment of time and shame on the developers for eeking it out unnecessarily. It doesn't help that the story and cut scenes are pretty crappy at the beginning. But again, as time went on I very much started to enjoy Deek's journey.

The hordes are tremendous but don't really play a part for a very long time. Daft.

Days Gone is a tough game to enjoy at first - Your bike's shit, fuel runs out all the time, weapons are shit, deacon is a wimp. I appreciate the need for incremental upgrades in the character to keep you playing, but it's skewed too far in the wrong direction in this, and by the end you are an absurd, absolute powerhouse.

The first 5 hour or so are pretty rough going. If you can get passed that though, you'll get another 50 very enjoyable ones out of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, memories said:

Thought I was coming to the end of this but I've just bikes over a snowy mountain, how much longer is left?

Have you met the Colonel yet? If not then you've about a third of the game left.

You're at the final bit, but there's quests to be done (which means go here-do-that-pick-up-item-bring-item-here). From memory, you're 80% through the story now. There's a ton of side stuff to be done (like Hordes) but you can safely ignore those if you wish. Judging by your comment, I'd say skip the Hordes and go through the story. In my opinion, it's worth it. And if you care about everybody's story, make sure to play a wee bit after the credits roll.

Yeah I don't think I'm going to bother with the hordes of I don't need to and just wrap up the story.

As much as I feel it's dragging a bit I have enjoyed it for the most part.

Had heard about a bit after the end credits a while back, thanks for the reminder