Days Gone - Sons of Anarchy x Last of Us

Dont sleep on the challenge mode either folks. Tons of hours of gameplay there and the first one which is a horde mode against, uh, the horde is brilliant fun. You get more points for using traps and chaining explosives - it's a right hoot, you can experiment more than in the main game and you can unlock upgrades that you can use in the main game. Plus you can play as Boozer for laughs, mowing down the horde with a massive machine gun just doesn't get old 

I'm still thoroughly enjoying this. It seems to have a good balance between story (which I'm actually enjoying, against expectations) and gameplay.

In fact it's really well balanced overall. It has just enough survival elements to make you plan ahead, but not enough that it becomes a chore. It has some lovely animation and a real solidity, but doesn't go too far and make you painstakingly pick up every item and put it in your bag. It can be punishing, but you can mitigate it with preparation, care and stealth, which in turns makes it really absorbing. It's lengthy and quite dialogue-heavy but the characters you encounter and the sub-plots are interesting enough to propel you forward, rather than simply spreading a 2hr story out over 40. There are lots of missions and tasks but they are doled out at a reasonable rate rather than just dumped all over the map, and there's little in the way of busy-work. The resources and systems work in synch so it's never too easy or too hard. Everything in the game has its place. It's not just a load of stuff piled on top of each other without care, which can easily happen in open world games.

I'm starting to feel the repetition a little bit, but then I've been nailing it pretty hard for the last week or so.

On 14/06/2020 at 21:58, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Cam someone talk me through the stealth mechanics in this game. I'm hiding in a bush a good distance from the horde, throwing Molotovs - and some how I always get spotted. No freakers in the bushes with me.. but every time (seemingly at random) I will get spotted by someone in the horde.  I'm not popping up for a look through my gun - just crouching hiding some distant away - throwing projectiles (and attractors). 

I have been playing this game in stealth mode the whole way through and now I am confronted with a horde - I am really not enjoying the stress of it. Its like a simulated nightmare that you have no control of... This might be great if you are OP, but not when you aren't. I  was really enjoying the game up until this point. And unfortunately I cant leave the zone - as the game tells me im leaving the mission area, and takes me back to the start of the mission. I wouldn't have minded if the game had warned me what was about to occur - but now I'm stuck here, under powered, and with shit guns. :/

Stealth goes out the window quite a bit once you're powerful enough. I didn't really use stealth for the latter half of the game except when required, like the rare listening missions which are a very strange reason for someone to stop playing the game as they make up about 0.1% of the content.

2 minutes ago, Pob said:

The resources and systems work in synch so it's never too easy or too hard. Everything in the game has its place. It's not just a load of stuff piled on top of each other without care, which can easily happen in open world games.

Exactly that. It seems to deftly avoid the pitfalls of so many other open-world games in terms of never making you too overpowered or too overwhelmed. It's such a well balanced game considering its vast scale.

The way that the various guns, gadgets and skills unlocked seemed to dovetail beautifully for me with the challenges that I was being presented with. I always had just the right amount of tools at my disposal for the task at hand to present a challenge that never seemed unfair or too easy.

By the time I took on my first horde I ended up killing the very last freaker lunging at my face with literally 3 bullets left in my handgun and that was it. That was more by serendipity than design perhaps but it was still a fucking brilliantly heart-pumping feeling.

What a difference a day (or two) makes. 

Took on my first horde organically when I found them feeding under a bridge. Lots of napalm and the tommy gun took care of most of them... OMG this is soooo much fun!! 

The only thing I'm lacking are upgraded clips to hold more ammo on the guns.. hope I can still get them.. as I have accidentally triggered the second story point and can't go back...

I was hoping to finish this before TLOS2 but it doesn't look like I'll manage it. Can you guys tell me how far I am?

I've reached

Spoiler

the militia camp and started doing jobs for them.

Cheers.

5 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

I was hoping to finish this before TLOS2 but it doesn't look like I'll manage it. Can you guys tell me how far I am?

I've reached

Hide contents

the militia camp and started doing jobs for them.

Cheers.

I’d say you’re roughly three quarters of the way through the main story, maybe a little less. That area’s quite lengthy and then there’s a stretch to the finale once you’re done there. It’s a really long game.

Yeah, I'd say you have a quarter or a third left, depends on how much time you spent mopping stuff up early on. I love this game but the pacing is poor. There should have been less faff early on and those NERO stealth missions should just have been dropped or made optional.

There's some good stuff in the last third though. I really admired TLOU but enjoyed this game more.

I had a great time with this yesterday, at an infested town with a gas station just west of Lost Lake. My bike was down to 20% gas. I probably would've made it to camp but I wanted to be sure. Only thing, there was a huge groaning mass of freakers loitering around the gas station - about 50 of the buggers. So I had to skirt my way closer, quietly and quickly dispatching any stragglers and using any available cover to avoid getting spotted. I grabbed the gas, and sprinted back to my bike as a couple gave chase. I lobbed the gas bottle over to my bike, as there was no way I was going to be able to fill the tank with freakers on my ass, and spun round to quickly and quietly dispatch my pursuers without alerting the horde. Then I had to hunt around in the undergrowth for the thrown gas bottle, all the while shitting myself that more freakers would spot me and the horde would descend before I could fill up.

It was totally amazing and a different kind of messy, frenetic stealth to what I've experienced in other games. You usually just take your time and pick people off with distractions and stealth kills. There was so much more pressure in this. It was such a relief to fill up and ride off. Of course, with my exit route planned, I couldn't resist stopping my bike, machine-gunning a bunch of pursuers, and then trying to lob a molotov into a nest. I died.

I would put this up there with Mass Effect as the best 7/10 game ever - in that there is a lot of baffling design but the core game is great and I basically loved it.

So many decisions are so odd - the snail-slow start, inexplicable late introduction of mandatory hordes and the seven(!) insta-fail NERO stealth missions have already been mentioned.

Another one is that the game has a really large variety of infected that aren’t utilised in a major way. The whole thing is just overflowing with ideas that the makers clearly didn’t have time to follow up on but didn’t want to cut.

It all bodes very well for a sequel, there’s definitely room for Mass Effect 1 to 2-type improvement.

Absolutely.The late introduction of the crow nests if another baffling addition. Not flawless by any means, but for their first game in this genre Bend did a tremendous job.

Maybe I dreamt it but prior to the game being released the studio provided like these "the producers play the game" videos where they explained what type of game time was, showing battles, the driving etc. I am certain I saw one video where during the tutorial they showed and informed you about choices you could make. The developer showed one choice: the guy during the tutorial. Again, maybe I dreamt it but I swear in that video they could choose to either kill or save the guy.

Picked this up in the sale and am surprised how much I'm enjoying it. Nothing original but pretty well crafted overall. Plus the hordes are bloody terrifying. Some of the reviews are overly cruel imo

Also, it's the first time I've seen child zombies which is pretty cool (and disturbing).

I’m loving this game so much...

it’s a real shame for Bend, that they fucked up the start... (and if it wasn’t for this thread I would have given up two or three hours in). 

The start is badly written, confusing, and dull. But my god when it opens up there are not many games like it. Hearing the gross thrum of hundreds of freakers, then that moment they see you and give chase... so much fun.

the bike is also my favourite open world vehicle ever. So much better than a horse or a car. 

I look forward to whatever they do next with this game.

Just finished getting the platinum trophy for this. Only other games I’ve ever done that for are Bloodborne and Battlefield 1, so it shows how much I enjoyed it.

Last trophy I needed was the ‘Unlock 45 skills’ one which basically meant clearing out hordes across the map. So much fun in the endgame when you’re fully tooled up and can just go ballistic on them with napalm and an LMG.

Great game and a sequel on PS5 is a mouthwatering prospect.

So I've been really enjoying this but last night this happened and I'm utterly disappointed. Warning this is a HUGE spoiler.

Spoiler

We reach the military base and finally get to meet Sarah. What looks like it's going to be a big moving reunion descends into 30 seconds of bickering and then Deacon jumps on his bike and decks off to rescue some soldier. WTF! Shouldn't that have a bit more to discuss? I mean there's hints galore that she's shacked up with the other guy, but no mention of that. Really pissed off right now.

Hopefully this will be rectified shortly.

Yes. Less linear, less complete and utter misery. Hordes. Fun gameplay with enough ammo to supply a small country. There are some low lows though, but not that many.

Slow start though, so stick with it.

One thing I've liked is that they didn't overplay the hordes. From the trailers I expected them to be everywhere but in reality they're kept in the background for most of the game. But man that low rumble when you happen to be in the vicinity – proper scary.

In the sequel they need a button to just toss Molotovs behind you while your desperately running down the hill waiting for that stamina bar to fill :D

So I finished this before starting TLOU2 and now that's done with coming back to this is a nice welcome. I'm also surprised there's still story left when just cleaning up the leftovers.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing this for a few hours now and it's all a bit awkward and I'm not sure what I should be doing really. Very aware that lots of people have said it's worth sticking with, though, so wondering if anyone had any tips for first few hours. Should I be focusing on building trust with the two camps so I can buy better weapons? I've upgraded my bike as much as I can so far and that's helping a bit...