Football Thread 2016/17

Its a strange one, as a Boro fan, I'm happy we have pulled the trigger because we were a certainty to go down with him involved. He will always be held high though in my regard as he was the man who really pulled us together and got us out of the championship and playing with a real identity, but he has completely lost his way over the last 4 months.

Defensively we have obviously been very resolute but our major downfall is we've had no forward thinking plan whatsoever and thats been the case for the vast majority of the season, our goal scoring/shots on target stats all speak for them selves. The balance has been off since around December, I dont think he is entirely to blame for that though, Gaston Ramirez is the one who completely derailed our season for me, once he threw his toys out of the pram it has left us without a proper creative player. Which kind of forced Karanka into using 3 midfielders who are all holding midfielders first and foremost. But losing one player cant be an excuse, especially with the amount of games he has had to come up with a new attacking way of thinking.

Regardless of how this season played out he wasn't going to be here next season with the falling out with fans and players thats been going on, so for me its 100% the right call in my eyes, even if we still go down.

I'm surprised at the timing, I thought we would have waited till after the Manchester United game on Sunday. It may have something to do with former Boro Captain Nigel Pearson being heavily linked with the Norwich Job today. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, The Fox said:

Karanka sacked.

He'll be reinstated tomorrow.

Stat for you.  Since the start of last season (promoted out of the Championship) Boro signed Nugent, Bamford, Rhodes, Stuani and Negredo for the same number of goals than Andre Gray has scored for Burnley. (31)

The Karanka one is probably the most divisive decision the club has made since Gibson took the helm. It really lies with the support, or lack of, from all parties.

There's plenty of armchair fans who've been tagging along to the cup matches talking like they've been watching the team for the past 3 years. Thousands of others jumped on the promotion band wagon and expected us to tank teams by a couple of goals every week, like we did in the Championship. There'll be plenty of Boro fans booing Downing's role in this, given that he did the same last year. Plenty of others will simply support the fact a local lad has spat his dummy out after being mistreat. It's a very odd mix.

On the flip side to all of that, Karanka hasn't done himself many favours with the way he has acted and how the team has been playing this season. He's made some really good signings: Fabio and Valdes have been great, De Roon is massively underrated but Adama is too inconsistent and Negredo hasn't been getting any service. We were playing really well and, in fairness to him, he was right when he said we could have an additional 10 points on the board had we not threw results away. Before Christmas, he wasn't helped by the board who failed to sign the targets he identified, well in advance. Since the turn of the year, the confidence has started to drain given that performances weren't converting into results, and as mentioned, he doesn't have a plan B when things are going wrong. He's been noticeably volatile at times in the media too.

For me personally, this decision has came too late. Gibson has always been shrewd but this has been the poorest decision he's made since he appointed Strachan. It should have been done before the January window in order to reshape the squad and freshen things up. Given that he wasn't replaced, Karanka should have been given to the end of the season to build on the foundations and come back up stronger, but I think it's too little too late now.

I'm not entirely sure who I want in either, none of the names mooted have excited me.

Very sad news this morning but one I agree with. 3.5 yrs ago we were towards the bottom of the Championship and looking towards League 1. Karanka arrived and turned the club around. Every year we improved and reached the Premier league last year.  As I said, sad and unfortunately it was inevitable. Saying all that, the Football for a large part of this season has been poor and that has to be linked to the non existent attack. I can except relegation but to go down without having a real go is not great.

Pearson wouldn't be my first choice.  Great previous captain of the club and has had some success as manger but over the last few years trouble has travelled to which ever club he joined.  Although highly unlikely, i'd like to try and get the guy from Huddersfield (Wagner) or Houghton at Brighton.

Defoe back in the England Squad?!

Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Torino, on loan from Man City), Tom Heaton (Burnley)

Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man Utd), Michael Keane (Burnley), Luke Shaw (Man Utd), Chris Smalling (Man Utd), John Stones (Man City), Kyle Walker (Tottenham)

Dele Alli (Tottenham), Michail Antonio (West Ham), Ross Barkley (Everton), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Man Utd), Jake Livermore (West Brom), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Nathan Redmond (Southampton), Raheem Sterling (Man City), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)

Jermain Defoe (Sunderland), Marcus Rashford (Man Utd), Jamie Vardy (Leicester)

I know.  His play this season means he deserves it, but he's 34 FFS.  So he kind of deserves it, but shouldn't really be there IYKWIM.

Shaw gets in because he plays for Man Utd.  Two games since November.

7 hours ago, Plissken said:

I know.  His play this season means he deserves it, but he's 34 FFS.  So he kind of deserves it, but shouldn't really be there IYKWIM.

Nah, Shaw gets in cos he's excellent. It's weird how Mourinho doesn't see that.

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, Plissken said:

11 hours ago, tbb said:

Nah, Shaw gets in cos he's excellent. It's weird how Mourinho doesn't see that.

Surely Shaw only gets in because Rose is injured and, well, who else is there? Hardly swimming in LBs...

Plus, Milner instead of Shaw would just be a really depressing choice.

The reason Defoe is back is because Kane and Rooney are injured. If both games were friendlies, I'm sure Southgate would have been tempted to look at some other prospects (not that we're exactly swimming in them) but with a qualifier to play, an experienced proven goalscorer might be invaluable.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Adrock said:

Rooney, according to the Guardian, declared himself fit for inclusion.

They are reporting it as something more.

Well we might as well start formulating our conspiracy theories about it now. I'm going with witches curse.

I'm going with out of form older striker not currently first choice for his club not being picked.

It's not even like there is a dearth of talent waiting in the wings either.

Strange not to include the captain in the squad if he is fit.

It'll be interesting to see how Atleti play. I think if they're pragmatic and compact they will grind their way through the tie without much bother. They don't always play like that and there's a change they might try and treat Leicester like an inferior team in La Liga. Depends how much they've done their homework I guess. I was really hoping Leicester would get to play Madrid or Barcelona just for the sheer improbability of it. All the other ties are mouthwatering though. Monaco v Dortmund should be exceptional.

Mickey Mouse European cup draw:

Anderlecht V Man Utd

Celta Vigo V Genk

Ajax V Shalke

Lyon V Besiktas

Man Utd should win this competition but will probably go out against Anderlecht.

• Upvote 1