Football Thread 2016/17

Plissken

I see Sky have slashed another half hour off the once great Soccer AM, horrible show that it is these days. Every week we get the awful, crass, unfunny Helen Chamberlain (who must have some dirt on someone high up at sky) being unfunny and awful, some rubbish footballers who I do not know how they got on air - with nothing to say (uh, yeah, I just stuck my foot out on it went in the net)  and then a band no one gives a shit about who don't even like football. Such a show of it's time, it was great with the previous lot about 10 years ago, an empty shell of laddish shite now. I will raise a toast when they finally cancel it.

You know what? I am beginning to find Arsenal fans really irritating. My FB feed is full of Arsenal fans saying things like "I'm feeling more apathetic about this season than any other before it".

You know what this feels like to a QPR fan (And I should imagine to many other "lesser" club fans? It feels like, having not had a decent meal in years, and feeding on scraps out of the local fish and chip shop recycling bin, you are watching a really fat, really fat rich kid, tucking into his Chateaubriand , supping at his Chateauneuf-du-pap, throwing his arms up in the air and saying "MAN ITS THE SAME OLD SHIT YEAR AFTER YEAR"

Speaking as an Arsenal fan, that feels roughly equivalent to being told that your life problems don't matter 'because there are people starving in Africa'.

Presumably, as a QPR fan, you can't complain either, because you're not owned by the Oyston family, for example?

I'll grant that a lot of my fellow Arsenal fans (especially the vocal ones) can be whiny, entitled know-it-alls, but at the same time I'd agree with them in at least that the team's tendency to seemingly repeat the same mistakes year after year is more than a little frustrating.

48 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

You know what? I am beginning to find Arsenal fans really irritating. My FB feed is full of Arsenal fans saying things like "I'm feeling more apathetic about this season than any other before it".

You know what this feels like to a QPR fan (And I should imagine to many other "lesser" club fans? It feels like, having not had a decent meal in years, and feeding on scraps out of the local fish and chip shop recycling bin, you are watching a really fat, really fat rich kid, tucking into his Chateaubriand , supping at his Chateauneuf-du-pap, throwing his arms up in the air and saying "MAN ITS THE SAME OLD SHIT YEAR AFTER YEAR"

Where have you been for the last 10 years?

6 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Where have you been for the last 10 years?

It's just far more noticeable this year than any other. I think people that have been giving Wenger slack have decided enough is enough.

8 minutes ago, JDubYes said:

Speaking as an Arsenal fan, that feels roughly equivalent to being told that your life problems don't matter 'because there are people starving in Africa'.

Presumably, as a QPR fan, you can't complain either, because, as a for instance, you're not owned by the Oyston family?

You are in the Champions league, you have a good chance of one trophy or another, and you have an outside chance of the Premier League. You have world superstars playing for your team in your 60,000 seater state of the art stadium completely bought and paid for.

Your club doesn't have life problems.

Arsenal fans do whinge rather a lot. They've never not been in the Champions League have they? That means they're always in the top four. However, they seem to buy in players who aren't stars so it must be frustrating that, with maybe three huge marquee signings, they could win the Champions League. They also choke against their rivals.

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

It's just far more noticeable this year than any other. I think people that have been giving Wenger slack have decided enough is enough.

You are in the Champions league, you have a good chance of one trophy or another, and you have an outside chance of the Premier League. You have world superstars playing for your team in your 60,000 seater state of the art stadium completely bought and paid for.

Your club doesn't have life problems.

I don't think this really refutes JDubYes' point. Like he said, it's all relative.

Arsenal definitely do have a whiny, entitled section of fans who were presumably spoilt on the 1998-2004 period and think we have a divine right to be like that forever, but that doesn't mean there's nothing for us to complain about.

I can see why they'd be frustrated. Yes they've been top four consistently over the years, but it's been a long time since they had a credible run at the title. 

Compared to many clubs their supporters  have it easy, but they're in a very odd position that they do well, but not great, while investing far less in their squad compared to their main rivals. 

I think their frustration is knowing a few signings could see them really challenge and they have the funding to do it, but it seems like every season they never do. Was it not last summer they didn't buy a single out field player? 

1 hour ago, The Fox said:

I don't think this really refutes JDubYes' point. Like he said, it's all relative.

Arsenal definitely do have a whiny, entitled section of fans who were presumably spoilt on the 1998-2004 period and think we have a divine right to be like that forever, but that doesn't mean there's nothing for us to complain about.

Ignore me , Im just jealous of your club. And I mean that genuinely .Of course it's all relative , there just seems to be a genuine widespread apathy amongst Arsenal fans at the moment, and I think some perspective is needed.

I think in a day an age where clubs are forking out £90 million on a player , it's admirable that Arsenal are run in the "right" way. 

I do think Arsenal fans can feel a bit aggrieved that when the Ashburton Grove move was announced it was sold to the fans on the back of meaning the club could compete in the transfer market , and that simply hasn't happened . 

But to see such overwhelming angst when realistically you have ,say a 4-1 chance of winning some form of silverware  really  grates sometimes when the one and only cup success for my team was in 1967 , and not been in a final since 1986 ( play off finals notwithstanding) . 

I would actually like to see Arsenal win the Prem this year, I think the contribution Wenger has made to its success deserves reward.

Good article about Guardiola's ideas about defending

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/10529429/pep-guardiola-changed-the-role-of-centre-backs-like-john-stones

Found it funny Delph being asked about what it's like to work under Guardiola, to answer 'I've learnt more in 3 weeks than in my whole career', for the interviewer to respond 'wow, really? But you worked under Tim Sherwood, you can't be serious !' Actually the interviewer didn't say that, he just asked him what exactly are his coaching methods and sessions like and Delph wasn't eloquent enough to elaborate on it. Don't think he went further than, 'it's just...yeah'. Makes me think of Guardiola as Morpheus approaching every player like they're Neo, awakening them. Delph was still in his Woah phase.

I wanna know exactly how he teaches them.

Stuff like that article just reads like it's from someone who knows little about football history for true context, and/or is way too caught up in what the current tactical trends are in the absolute elite sides and has to attribute everything they do as revolutionary paradigm shifts.Which is usually bollocks that masks the fact football is increasingly seemingly a pretty played out and exhaustively exploited game tactically...everybody knows what can work tactically and what doesn't by now...not just Josep Guardiola, Jose Mourinho or whoever the currently best overall managers(which encompasses much more than merely tactical ideology) are.There hasn't really been any major tactical shift in the way football is played since the four and five attackers concepts were discarded in favour of 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 variants and the Dutch and Soviets among others pioneered organised team pressing circa late 60s.Everything since has been marginal variations on those themes, yet we get these articles all over the internet claiming nearly everything has been invented and redefined year after year depending on who the flavour of the era is.

Concepts like universality, possession football and building from the back with defenders comfortable on the ball-11 midfielders blah blah- have been kicking around the whole football world for over half a century, slightly waxing and waning in popularity maybe, but ever present.Guardiola has been the man at the very top in recent years most likely to value those concepts, but he's not creating anything new.Now if he was to start winning things with 2 defenders and 6 strikers or something, then i'd sit up and take notice.

2 hours ago, davidcotton said:

For those that don't have sky, pick tv are showing Soccer Saturday from 3-5.  Guess they need to fill the scheduling somehow.

Not that I watch it anymore, but taking SSN off free to air a few years back was one of the most stupid decisions ever. Like anyone would pay to watch that drivel.