Football Thread 2016/17

Plissken

This is best they've done in years. They haven't signed any defenders and it told. A shame nonetheless.

Delighted for Fundalk!

Makes Crues' 9-0 aggregate loss to Copenhagen look even worse.

I wish Northern teams took it more seriously, our captain was on holiday for the second leg!

1 hour ago, Revival said:

Debut goal for new Leicester signing Musa vs Barcelona.

Finish for his second was pretty good as well. I was dubious about our prospects for Sunday after the PSG game but having watched us tonight and then Man Utd I think we have a decent chance.

Champions League playoff draw:

Champions Route

Ludogorets Razgrad v Viktoria Plzen

Celtic v Hapoel Beer-Sheva

FC Copenhagen v Apoel Nicosia

Dundalk v Legia Warsaw

Dinamo Zagreb v FC Salzburg

League Route

Steaua Buchurast v Man City

Porto v Roma

Ajax v FC Rostov

Young Boys v Borussia Mönchengladbach

Villarreal v Monaco

15 hours ago, angel said:

Watching the west hame game, man the stadium has no atmosphere. It looks like what it is, an athletic stadium and concert venue. That crowd / pitch gap covered in tarpaulin, lovely.

footy.png

It's astroturf. The wrong colour granted but temporary the fans have been told.

Surprisingly enough, the 50k people that were there said the stadium has amazing acoustics and sounds fantastic when in full swing. Lots of die hard anti-movers were impressed with it and said that while it isn't perfect and isn't a dedicated football stadium, it is no where as bad as they'd feared and other than some bad exit strategies and over priced food, the whole experience was very good.

The place is only barely not a building site, hopefully a lot of the problems will get sorted in the next few months. (for clarity, I will have nothing to do with any of that, but I'm working on some of the shiny displays here and there. Well, pretty much all of them actually and there's a few more to come, it's a bit mad). 

edit - in fact I got some insight on the food pricing which seems obvious in hindsight but I'd never thought about before. The pricing changes by event so people who went to AC/DC paid more than at the Athletics the other weekend. Dunno where Hammers fans will sit on that spectrum, but I do know the club aren't a lot to do with it thanks to the wonders of stadium rental deals.

Yeah, I thought I'd read that catering doesn't come under their purview and they only get X% from it, the rest is controlled by the stadium owners. Price wise, I saw £9ish for a small fish and chips, and £3ish for a bottled water which isn't that bad, but it's no pie and Bovril that's for sure ;)

They do have a pie 'n mash kiosk somewhere! And Bovril! Probably not for the same price as around the old district.

Not even sure the stadium owners control it (who are all of us, sort of!), it's a catering company that bought the rights, I think they can set more or less what they want so it's doubtless whatever they think they can gouge people for. Same people who run Wembley's ones, for what it's worth. All very swish.

I'm tempted to go along for a game to see how it is, as much as I find they circumstances in which they won their tenancy distasteful. It's now my closest stadium, with a close second being Brisbane Road, and I really don't get to go up to Manchester for games very often.

1 hour ago, Revival said:

Ever feel like you're in the wrong job?

Every reminder that Leicester (!) won the league last season just brings about a huge smile across my stupid ginger Liverpool-supporting face. Last season was truly magic.