IGNORED

Football Thread 2016/17

Plissken

Tony Pulis ordered by court to pay Crystal Palace £3.7m (at least) for "disgraceful conduct" and having "deliberately misled" Palace chairman.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/11/28/tony-pulis-accused-fraudulent-behaviour-high-court-judgment/

Tony Pulis’s reputation has been shredded in a High Court judgment against him in which he stands accused of acting fraudulently in engineering his departure from Crystal Palace immediately after receiving a £2million bonus.

In a damning judgement by Sir Michael Burton, Pulis has been ordered to pay Palace a total of £3,776,000 - £2,276,0000 for the repayment of the bonus plus liquidated damages of £1.5million. It is understood that costs could push that figure to more than £5million. 

In a 32-page ruling the judge concluded there was no evidence to support Pulis, who challenged the findings of an independent mediation tribunal, set up under Football Association rules, which had declared that “his conduct...has been shown to be disgraceful” and he had “deliberately misled” Palace chairman Steve Parish so he could eventually find a better job.

An uncharacteristically poor defence from Pulis there.

Bloody hell :(

Brazilian First Division team Chapecoense on-board plane that's crashed in Colombia.

Current reports are that out of 81 on the plane, there are 5 survivors although the rescue effort has just begun. Apparently two of the five survivors are known to be players, both of whom are seriously injured. News now coming in that bad weather is forcing them to call off the rescue operation until morning.

Real shame, I watched the first half of their game against Sao Paulo a few weeks back, and they were a decent side. Well, that and Sao Paulo are shite. Would have been the biggest game in their history against Atletico Nacional, although I think they would have lost. Pity for such a small club as well as this will more or less finish them. Weird feeling as one of their players I've been watching for ages, their Argentine striker who used to be at Penarol, and he didn't travel due to injury. Happy that he didn't end up playing in what would have been his biggest ever games.

On 26/11/2016 at 19:56, Dude Ranch said:

Looks likely. And Newcastle United coming straight back up. That'll sting.

Honestly, not at all. I had my chuckle when they went down, but I love justice in football. It was delightful beating them so many times in a row, especially 0-3 at their place, I love all that, but Im also happy to accept justice for us too. We deserve to go down, to send a message that our cut price approach to players and managers doesnt work. We've lost out on countless cracking players over tipping up that extra few quid. We bring in Moyes because he's cheap, Defoe is the only player keeping us any where near afloat.  We utterly deserve it, and I'm fine with it.  Newcastle coming up is even better, it means we dont play them for an even longer stretch, so our unbeaten record can last even longer, our 3-0 torturings of them can hang longer in the memory.

tldr, love justice in football, happy to see it applied to my lot

It's not really a subject you should be using to justify your irrational hatred of another football team.

FA Cup 2nd round today. Eastleigh vs Halifax Town is the only non-league tie so there might be just one non-league team in the 3rd round draw. 

when is the tide of popular opinion going to turn against the view the John Stones is a competent defender ?

he strikes me as a pretty average defender and frequently fannies about in dangerous spots putting his own team in trouble. He's just an accident constantly waiting to happen.

David Luis gets pelters but I'd far rather have him in my team, and both the other big £30m signings in the summer at CB (Baille and Mustafi) are far better players, for £50m Stones is looking a terrible buy.

Stones is a bit like Virgil van Dijk except he's not as good in the air, he's slower, he's weaker, he's not as good with the ball at his feet and he makes worse decisions. But hey, he's English so here's £50m. 

There are at least a dozen centre backs in the Prem I'd pick ahead of him. At least. 

that was never a sending off, didn't deny a clear goal scoring opportunity and was hardly a yellow for me.

de bruyne miss was shocking, miss of the season

city don't look good at the back at all, and that was a perfect counter attack - he's a piece of shit but I think Costa is the best striker in the league, he may not get as many as others but he never goes missing in these big games

there is no such thing as a last man rule, its denying a clear goal scoring opportunity.

I'm fed up in football with everybody whining about refs and looking to blame them rather then their own failings, how convenient we can blame a 3rd party. city losing as they missed clear chances and can't defend.