Football Thread 2016/17

Plissken

APOEL v The New Saints is currently 0-0 on aggregate at half time in the second leg of the CL second qualifier. That's a side that made the quarter finals only four years ago - it'd be a hell of a result of TNS can get through this.

It's on S4C, if anyone's interested.

New rules announced to control player behaviour, could be fun for a few weeks.

Offences which could earn players a yellow card

Visibly disrespectful behaviour to any match official;
An aggressive response to decisions;
Confronting an official face to face;
Running towards an official to contest a decision;
Offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures towards match officials;
Physical contact with any match official in a non-aggressive manner;
A yellow card for at least one player when two or more from a team surround a match official.

New red card offences

If a player confronts match officials and uses offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures towards them;
Physical contact with match officials in an aggressive or confrontational manner.

It's about bloody time, in no other professional sport do players get away with the kind of behaviour footballers exhibit towards referees. Man Utd and Chelsea will hopeful be particularly hard hit by this. I'm dreaming of a confused and incensed John Terry getting a straight red under these new rules in the first game of the season. 

Hope these are enforced just for the hilarity of enraged players getting their marching orders, then their brains failing to kick in and realise why, leading to more frothing and posturing.

it says "could" for the yellow card ones so there is room for discretion.

A yellow card for at least one player when two or more from a team surround a match official.

How do they decide which one(s), I wonder.

7 minutes ago, milko said:

I feel like the preceding points all cover anything they'd need on that though. It just seems a bit of an odd one. 

I assume the aim is captains can approach and discuss, but anyone (and presumably everyone) else joining in gets booked.

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

New rules announced to control player behaviour, could be fun for a few weeks.

Offences which could earn players a yellow card

Visibly disrespectful behaviour to any match official;
An aggressive response to decisions;
Confronting an official face to face;
Running towards an official to contest a decision;
Offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures towards match officials;
Physical contact with any match official in a non-aggressive manner;

New red card offences

If a player confronts match officials and uses offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures towards them;
Physical contact with match officials in an aggressive or confrontational manner.

That's Chelsea fucked then.

3 hours ago, Commander Jameson said:

As if these will be actually used apart from one game early in the season after which they will conveniently be forgotten.

Yeah, I'm sure there's been "clamp downs" on this stuff before which have fizzled out by mid-September at best. Hopefully I'm wrong and this one will stick, but we'll see.