IGNORED

Football Thread 2016/17

Plissken

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

It is impressive how the Press have now got rid of two England managers for non-playing reasons - Hoddle and Allardyce - and were heavily involved in getting rid of Sven.  Something to remember when they say they support England in the next World Cup.

Yeah, Allardyce going has really hurt our chances. 

4 hours ago, Shoes said:

What has that got to do with anything? This isn't about Sam's text messages, it's about him being a crooked idiot.

They need to entrap Vince McMahon the dodgy fucker.

6 hours ago, angel said:

You're right, he deserves what's happened, the indiscretion is poor. There's just that there's something I don't like about the way it's been handled, as if the journalists who set it all up are acting like they're whiter than white. I'm sure if their phones were checked out, you would find offensive statements and distasteful material, but no one shines a light on that. Lets be honest, fleet street is as much a den of corruption as english football, if not more. These are the people that consider voicemail hacking a valid means to an end.

I can well imagine the Sun being outraged that Allerdyce took the piss out of Roy Hodgson's way of talking, without so much as a hint of self awareness.

"Sam shamelessly and disgustingly MOCKED his predecessor, calling him "Woy!" 

I pretty much hate the press in this country, not that that's a particularly lonely position for me to take.

5 hours ago, Shoes said:

What has that got to do with anything? This isn't about Sam's text messages, it's about him being a crooked idiot.

Like I said, I don't really like the puritanical attitudes of journalists who a few years ago were deleting voicemails from the family of a murdered girl, and so on. Sams an idiot, no question on that.

13 minutes ago, emjay2kay said:

I can well imagine the Sun being outraged that Allerdyce took the piss out of Roy Hodgson's way of talking, without so much as a hint of self awareness.

I pretty much hate the press in this country, not that that's a particularly lonely position for me to take.

Exactly, it's the hypocrisy of it all. One day outraged by some minor joke said in private, the next they're raking through celebrity bins and posting lewd stories about young girls barely above legal age. It's the whole charlotte church / brasseye outrage.

cc1.jpg

54 minutes ago, emjay2kay said:

Sun-front-page-008.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=f

The Sun in 2012.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2012/may/02/fa-sun-front-page-roy-hodgson

In its story, which added "(We'll see you in Ukwaine against Fwance)", the Sun said Hodgson was "affectionately known as Woy due to his speech impediment".

On 27/09/2016 at 19:37, ryodi said:

It's the only way I watch Champions League games these days. Proper journalists instead of Lineker and friends and going between each games removes the tedium of the early group games.

BT really need to pull the trigger and make Jimbo the face of the channel, with journalists as pundits. It's such a good show. 

24 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

If you don't listen to The Guardian's Football Weekly podcast you're doing football wrong.

Hell yeah man.

BBC's 'Football Daily Podcast' is alright for reaction based stuff, and The Times 'The Game' is badly presented, but is a good one if GFW left you wanting more for the week.

10 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

GFW is terrible.

The Game for decent analysis, and The Football Ramble for the #bants.

I've never been able to get on with The Football Ramble, just too much #bants, but will try.

The Game does have great analysis and talking points, I just wish they'd ditch the bad phone-in lines, and stop shouting over each other.

The Football Ramble is so laden with in-jokes now, I guess it might be hard to get into. But it is, I suppose, the classic "sitting with your mates in the pub" style podcast and reminds me of the halcyon days of 1UP/Ziff Davis' output.

Don't disagree with anything you've said about The Game, but even with its faults I find it far more tolerable than Football Weekly. I mean, James R is amusing, but it's always a formless, structureless mess and it never sounds like anyone actually wants to be there.

The Ramble does that as well.  Twice a week.  With added media career pimping.

I've given up on the Ramble for a while.  Mainly due to the #bantz to be honest.  "Hello! I'm Pete Donaldson and I'm an incredibly strange man."  No, you are not.  You are Pete Donaldson, I'll give you that much, but you are not strange.  You are generic radio DJ no 1203, and no amount of pre-arranged in the studio scripting attempting to be delivered as down the pub wackiness is going to make you interesting.

The forced hilarity of football ramble is extraordinarily annoying, I usually brace myself, skip ahead 7 minutes, skip 3 minutes more, try to find their serious voice again and take it from there. I can't believe they've made it this far and no one has told them to maybe tone down the ridiculous amount of laughter that ensues after almost every little utterance any of them makes. By all means laugh like a loon but maybe wait until something funny has been said. That won't be every 5 seconds. When on football weekly Rafael said 'never apologise James' and Jimbo replied 'well that's not very good...especially coming from a German', that is when you let out the biggest belly laugh, like Barry did. It's even on YouTube !

Football weekly is one I always look forward to yet always disappoints, because they don't debate anything and the regulars aren't opinionated. They don't want confrontation and friction, it's so stiff and cautious. One upcoming game game between Bournemouth vs Everton they're meant to discuss. Barry?...erm...well..then rolled out stats about only 2 goals scored by the away side in their 5 last away games (meaningless).

5 live daily will go into more depth about subjects rather than boringly and reluctantly throw out stats for a game no one cares about, but with vast amounts of moaning and uninged talking, by the pundits, not just the callers. Depends who they get on. Mina Rzouki is my favourite pundit by far. She's only on world football phone once every 5 weeks (on this week though, her summation of Mourinho was great) and crops up on 5 live rarely, but she has more passion than anyone else and her insights on certain managers, players, tactics are insightful, she is opinionated but never overbearing with it. Others on there like Paul Sarahs and obviously Tim Vickery are great but don't cover as relatable topics as Mina, as she covers Europe. Others rave about Andy Brassel on the European football show, but I'm not as keen. 5 live do a European football show sometimes that I prefer. 

2 hours ago, cavalcade said:

GFW is terrible.

The Game for decent analysis, and The Football Ramble for the #bants.

GFW very much depends on who they have in the studio. AC Jimbo is always gold (and for all the grief he gets Max Rushden is an alright host when Jimbo is skiing or hosting the World's Strongest Man), and thankfully Sean Ingle is rarely on any more, but a couple of the journos really grate.

Gave up on the Ramble for the #bants. Was all a bit too chaotic and a little forced.

29 minutes ago, d ebolenk said:

but with vast amounts of moaning and uninged talking, by the pundits, 

Chris Sutton has recently taken this to a new level.

I think Max Rushden is great, and I love it when he hosts The Game when Gab Marcotti is out, who I find a little arrogant and cringy.

I think I listen to GFW more out of habit than thinking I'll learn something about the matches they're covering. I find the cynicism of some of the journos a bit tiring (Barry Glendening is the worst for this). Dream line up is Phillipe Auclair, Sid Lowe, James Horncastle, the Liverpool guy with the Polish name and AC Jimbo.

11 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

I think I listen to GFW more out of habit than thinking I'll learn something about the matches they're covering. I find the cynicism of some of the journos a bit tiring (Barry Glendening is the worst for this). Dream line up is Phillipe Auclair, Sid Lowe, James Horncastle, the Liverpool guy with the Polish name and AC Jimbo.

Yeah, Glendening drains the life out of it. 

I think AC Jimbo is fine, its just he has no authority to carry any vaguely serious conversation. Any momentary silence is fair game for a wisecrack, which just gets tiring after a while. I do like a lot of the contributors though. Indeed, OK.... I might start listening to it again. 

The Monday Night Club on 5 Live can be good. Mark Chapman, I think, is a decent host. 

Pete Donaldson is pretty strange - he's a man who patented an infant chip dunking helmet after all - but I can see how it might be annoying. I think they're all funny enough and personable enough that it's just nice to listen to, even if the factual/analysis content is light. Maybe I need more friends :( I do think their current hard pimping of their media stuff is a bit tiring, but then they produce hours of content for free, so fair doos I guess.